Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: ESPN analyst: "Clemsoning means going to the playoff every single year"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: ESPN analyst: "Clemsoning means going to the playoff every single year"

Oct 24, 2018, 8:31 AM

ESPN analyst: "Clemsoning means going to the playoff every single year"

The lazy term "Clemsoning" is one of the most despised words by the fanbase of the Clemson football program. "Clemsoning" was brought up Monday and replaced by Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN analyst: "Clemsoning means going to the playoff every single year"

Oct 24, 2018, 8:40 AM

Both Mc's- shay and elroy are annoying and smarmy. I really just ignore them if at all possible.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN analyst: "Clemsoning means going to the playoff every single year"

Oct 24, 2018, 12:34 PM

If they don't let the word die out, and merely "change the meaning," or make it "BuckCrying" (or whatever), they'll just as soon reapply it to Clemson several years from now, if Clemson should ever hit a slump.

Yeah, jump down the throat of anyone who says it, in any context.

Oct 24, 2018, 2:06 PM

They are just ESPiNning

Getting it wrong and then doubling down on their error with more bs.

Wait, that makes them a coot too...

Will this never end?

Oct 24, 2018, 8:57 AM

How many times have they "redefined" it. ESPN, for the love of all things holy, JUST STOP SAYING IT.

I'm sick of hearing the word, I don't care if it's a

Oct 24, 2018, 11:28 AM

positive comment about Clemson or not. I wish they would stop saying it.

This is a big part of why people on tigernet think ESPN doesn't like us. They don't single out any other team like the way they did us. I think we've earned not having to hear that word in any context anymore..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will this never end?

Oct 24, 2018, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Will this never end? ]

flyslyw said:

How many times have they "redefined" it. ESPN, for the love of all things holy, JUST STOP SAYING IT.

They don't care what you think. They're just trying to create 'buzz' like all the other media agencies.

Re: Will this never end?

Oct 25, 2018, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Will this never end? ]

It will end it’s our third nat championship, at that point they’ll give up, so basically in a few years :)

the term was stupid in the first place

Oct 24, 2018, 9:12 AM

We were a 15-25 program when it was used and guess what? Like every 15-25 team in America we lost a game we shouldn't. We didn't choke or lose in anymore spectacular of a way than anyone else.

Just let the term die overall

Re: the original term was more about media perception than game performance

Oct 24, 2018, 10:08 AM

Originally the term was used about Bowden-coached teams. Every preseason some writers would hype Clemson as "being back" to some mythical standard, and other writers would roll their eyes. No team in America generated as much preseason love-hate, respect-disrespect as Clemson under Tommy. We were always a little overrated because of our past history of success.

Like SoCal.

Then the Tigers would put together a few wins, and with each one more and more writers would get on the bandwagon, until finally everyone agreed that "Clemson was back."

Then we would lay our egg.

So the term "Clemsoning" was not about a good team having an inexplicably bad game. It was thrown at us for making the media types look bad, because we held off on having our bad game until the bandwagon was overcrowded.

In short, "Clemsoning" referred to how a team will always let the media(ESPN) know when they (the media) have been overrating them (the team) based on subjective hype, not actual performance.

The definition was broadened to make it all about us after a couple high profile losses. So there no longer is a term warning sportswriters against using subjective hype in their game projections.

My brother deals with media as a D1 staffer at another school and has very little like but lots of respect for the Tigers. He agrees with me on this.

WVU just scored another TD

Oct 24, 2018, 11:33 AM [ in reply to the term was stupid in the first place ]

:(

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

West Virginia

Oct 24, 2018, 1:46 PM

Owns the biggest choke of the past 20 years. 2007, #2 in the country and a shoe-in for the national title game. Powerful offense led by Pat White. All they had to do was beat 4-7 Pitt at home and they lost 13-9 due to an utter offensively collapse.

Re: WVU just scored another TD

Oct 24, 2018, 7:44 PM [ in reply to WVU just scored another TD ]

And I just scored with your Mom, again......

It was championed by SVP, he and Ryen Russillo ran with

Oct 24, 2018, 12:15 PM [ in reply to the term was stupid in the first place ]

it for years

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that it is stupid now, but it made sense back in the

Oct 24, 2018, 3:17 PM [ in reply to the term was stupid in the first place ]

day.

We lost in ways that were commonly beyond the realm of normal chokes.

It all started (prequel) with Georgia Tech in 2004. That game cursed us. That was a freak show. Then Duke 2004. (Right after winning @ #10 Miami) Then it went away until GT 2007, then Maryland 2008 then SCAR in 2009 (Worst one ever) All this just set up the year that broke the ###... 2011... GT in 2011, NC State in 2011, West Virginia 2011 (2011 is the year that broke the camels back and it became a national theme, FSU 2013 and FSU 2014 were the last two. Ever since then we killed that term. Really 2011 was the year that did it to us. Without that ONE year it would have never been a national term.

The only difference is from 2011-2014 Clemson experienced more wild, inexplicable, major collapses than other teams. It happened to everybody, but not quite like it happened to us. But now, we are the 2nd best program in college football. So who cares.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2018, 10:05 AM

Mostly everything reported by ESPN when they mention Clemson is weird or a back handed compliment. Something is wrong with those people.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correction: "Buckeyeing"

Oct 24, 2018, 10:22 AM

I always thought Michigan in the last decades was also worse in dropping games they
should win.

But really, the term is pretty ridiculous. Most teams in sports drop games they should supposedly win from a talent standpoint every year.

For goodness sake, shut up already.***

Oct 24, 2018, 10:28 AM

null

Buckeyeing

Oct 24, 2018, 11:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2018, 11:30 AM

Ohio State is a good football program and of course one of the best in the history of the sport. They sometimes lose games. So do Clemson. So does Bama. Teams lose 50% of all the games they play, on average. It’s going to happen!

So coming up with these derisive terms is childish and ignorant. McElroy loves to hear himself speak.

why are we upset about this still?

Oct 24, 2018, 1:40 PM

Dabo closed the book on the negative usage. McElroy was saying Ohio State should have their own term, and Pollack was trying to say the word is a positive. Who cares? Both are just talking heads, but I don't see why there needs to be any drama over this.

Let that word die. I don't care how you define it.***

Oct 24, 2018, 3:00 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who took ********** off of the banned word list and why?***

Oct 24, 2018, 7:54 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic