Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Combined, Col. Ben Skardon, 1st Lt. Bill Funchess and Col.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,956

Combined, Col. Ben Skardon, 1st Lt. Bill Funchess and Col.

Oct 5, 2018, 9:59 AM

Bill Austin spent 4,279 days as prisoners of war. All 3 men, are graduates of Clemson University and shared a stage Thursday at an event in Tillman Hall auditorium.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/10/05/clemson-alumni-and-pows-share-stories-survival/1519359002/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True heroes***

Oct 5, 2018, 10:07 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Absolutely!***

Oct 5, 2018, 10:42 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Combined, Col. Ben Skardon, 1st Lt. Bill Funchess and Col.

Oct 5, 2018, 10:30 AM

My Father, Leigh Hammond was the first American to shake Bill Funches' hand. My dad served in Korea for 2 years. He and Bill have reunited in the past. Oddly enough, I and Bill's son Mark, had known each other for years prior to our father's reunion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The same National Anthem that Col. Skardon tears up while

Oct 5, 2018, 10:48 AM

hearing is the one that the NFL idjits kneel during, as a form of protest. Hope they thank him and other fighting men for their ability to do so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2018, 10:48 AM

When I had Col Skardon for freshman English I had no idea what he had been through.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me either and had him for two classes

Oct 5, 2018, 10:52 AM

Public Speaking and Technical Writing.

He was an excellent teacher.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me either and had him for two classes

Oct 5, 2018, 10:59 AM

I would agree but he let me pass and looking back on that he probably shouldnt have. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh man, I wish they would share that online. I bet that was

Oct 5, 2018, 10:59 AM

a great event!! True heroes in every sense.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: oh man, I wish they would share that online. I bet that was

Oct 5, 2018, 11:19 AM

I'll try to ask I think I have the organizers info

Amazing men with amazing stories of

Oct 5, 2018, 11:42 AM

Grit, faith and triumph over unspeakable things

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2018, 12:05 PM

Col. Skardon was one of the best professors I had at Clemson. His classes were so interesting because he inserted so many of his stories into his lectures. I remember them like they were yesterday......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2018, 12:20 PM

Proud to know all three men personally. Bill Funchess has written a book about his time as a POW. It's amazing how he was able to recall minute details. At 101 years of age, Ben's physical and mental status is amazing. Many 70 and 80 year olds probably wish their physical and mental status was as good as Ben's. Another amazing fact is their recovery from all of the horrors they experienced. Most of those who suffered along with them and survived, developed additional physical and mental problems that shortened their lives.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2018, 12:33 PM

I can’t imagine the torture, feeling of helplessness, despair that this hero’s endured. The will to come home to their loved ones and helping other prisoners had to be one hell of a driving force. To hear these men’s stories, as well as Joes’, my Mother who is 83 and her brothers is truly inspiring. These are hero’s, not athletes, rock stars or actor/actresses. All service men/women are willing to die for something way bigger than any of us can imagine. Anyone that has elderly parents, grandparents or a neighbor should listen to what they endured and the America they fought for.

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,956
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic