Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Collapsible Goal Posts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Collapsible Goal Posts

Nov 28, 2017, 9:57 PM

Unrelated to current rankings, etc, whatever happened to our state-of-the-art collapsible goal posts? A few(+) years ago when it was in vogue to tear them down, we installed these goal posts, which still stand, but are never used. Any idea what the story is? Why and when did we stop taking them down at the end of the games?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Collapsible Goal Posts

Nov 28, 2017, 10:02 PM

I think they now only take them down if they believe there is chance we may have some “pole climbers” after a game.. Since we typically are now ranked much high than our opponents it is unlikely there will be issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

12/1/98

Nov 28, 2017, 10:11 PM

How many of us are there?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

every step of the way to the reflection pond***

Nov 29, 2017, 11:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Nov 29, 2017, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Collapsible Goal Posts ]

CS02 is a pole climber

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pole sitter***

Nov 29, 2017, 1:06 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2017, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Collapsible Goal Posts ]

Well, then and when we host the g@ycocks at home. Something about them being "pole smokers", which I assume has some vandalism connotation to it, I guess..?

Now that the deputies are carrying AR-15s we don't need them***

Nov 30, 2017, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Collapsible Goal Posts ]

why would we need to collapse them?

Nov 28, 2017, 10:22 PM

It is not like we have had to pull and upset at home any time in the past few years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, things do change with a...

Nov 28, 2017, 10:25 PM

...consistently winning program don't they. It's been such a long time since they were lowered I had forgotten they could.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Massive over-reaction in age of litigation ...

Nov 29, 2017, 9:38 AM

... all to avoid getting sued by someone falling off or getting conked by the post as it was torn down.

That mechanism probably cost as much as replacing 50 goal posts. And they had to hire 20-30 guys to surround it as it went down and keep people from walking on it after it was down.

Seems it would have been more cost effective just to hire 50 big guys to keep crowd away from the normal goal posts.

Side note: The square-pad around the collapsible post “may” have contributed to fracturing Mike Williams, neck.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2017, 10:46 AM

You mean the ones that cost us a national championship 2 years ago when they took Mike Williams out for the season? We should thank our lucky stars he did not choose to sue for negligence in building those monstrosities.

Nov 30, 2017, 12:15 AM

I haven't checked it for at least 3 years but the west end zone goal post is not square to the field. Look at the back line of the endzone and compare to the crossbar and you will see that the uprights are slightly turned towards the north side.

Nov 30, 2017, 7:56 AM

West goal post is still not square. I’ve noticed for the past three seasons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Nov 30, 2017, 8:28 AM

Seems like they stopped letting them down after games last year. My guess is they realized it was more dangerous letting them down immediately after games, to only turn around 15 minutes later and put them back up. I remember standing there in several occasion and seeing a few people almost wonder under them as they were brining them down. Thought it was just a lawsuit waiting to happen. Glad they stopped. Gives me and my son a few more minutes to reenact the DW/HR play.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic