Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coldest Clemson games I remember
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Coldest Clemson games I remember

Nov 12, 2018, 12:42 PM

was in 1972 and 1979. The 1972 game was a home game with the chickens right before Thanksgiving. It actually sleeted during the game which was a low-scoring affair where we hung on for a 7-6 win in Death Valley. When I went to the bathroom at halftime it was very crowded with people, most just trying to get warm for a moment, but I finally got a stall, and saw ice around the waterline in the toilet bowl.

In 1979 Clemson met the Baylor Bears in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta. All day it was damp, windy and cold and we were dressed as warm as possible before going to the stadium for the night game. The game started out windy and cold, but the temperature plummeted by halftime with a cold mist. I remember buying a cup of cocoa because they had run out of coffee. I drank mine right away, but the cup I bought for my wife turned cold before I could get it back to our seats (she drank it anyway). The Tigers lost to the Bears and we got out of there as quickly as possible. The next day it started snowing in Atlanta. Aware that snow that starts in Atlanta usually comes north on I-85 we started an early drive home staying just ahead of the worst of it.

More recently, I froze at the Wake Forest game last year with the wind chill so low (or maybe I should say "High"), but I don't remember the meteorlogical numbers (maybe Tim Bourret has them). Anyway, I just wanted to recount my personal experiences, because I don't think Desmond Howard did any research before making his statement about Clemson not playing in any cold games.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 79 Peach Bowl v. Baylor was really cold...

Nov 12, 2018, 12:53 PM

I got wet standing in the sleet and rain during the pre-game parade and nearly froze sitting out in the cold wind for the actual game.

The 1990 game between Clemson and Maryland in Baltimore also comes to mind. Once the sun set, it got really cold.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Colder than cold.

Nov 12, 2018, 1:13 PM

Siberia cold.

Re: Coldest Clemson games I remember

Nov 12, 2018, 1:07 PM

I remember the 72 game. Definitly a miserable day except we won.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 1:20 PM

That 72 game was miserable until Jimmy Williamson knocked down a pass coots trying for two points after TD. Coots tried a late FG from real long distance that was way short. A back we had back grabbed the ball in the air. Time had run out and he was about to throw the ball into the air when he realized that it was still a live ball. He took a knee and then threw it up into the air. Poor pepsodent Paul. The coots this year are so confused they do not know which way to point their peckers.

Nov 12, 2018, 1:20 PM

At Wake Forest two years ago....stupid cold

Nov 12, 2018, 1:23 PM

Another cold night in 87. We lost and led to another year of yak from coots. Do not need that anytime soon.

2000 and 2002

Nov 12, 2018, 1:21 PM

coot games.

Re: 2000 and 2002

Nov 12, 2018, 2:08 PM

The most freaky game was in 1963 when I was a freshman and we played Georgia. This was mid September as well as I can remember and was in the mid 80's. At halftime a freakish thunderstorm blew in and hail fell to beat the band. This was when you could take umbrellas into games, but the wind was so ferocious that there wasn't a viable umbrella in the stadium. They were all turned inside out. It was before the upper decks, so everyone left the stands and huddles under the original bleachers. When the teams came back out onto the field, it was white from the hail.

79 Peach Bowl

Nov 12, 2018, 2:10 PM

I wasn't there but my Mother and sister were. The coldest they have ever been - period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 2:11 PM

For me it had to be the 79 Peach Bowl. I remember a vendor in the stands shouting "Hot beer!" to try to make a sale. What a miserable day.

In other weird weather game topics, I remember the Duke

Nov 12, 2018, 3:00 PM

game in 2001 where it was about 75 degrees on December 1st. We played in December as a make up due to the 9/11 attacks.

Nov 12, 2018, 3:04 PM

The Gardner catch game was freezing until the last 2 minutes of game play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic