Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Swinney's genius
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Coach Swinney's genius

Sep 22, 2018, 10:31 PM

Saban "made the decision" (and one year late, by the way, given that Tua is in his second year), and then Saban made an A$$ out of himself in the way he talked about the decision.

Dabo, on the other hand, created a context in which the outcome was not about HIM. He just stepped aside and created a context in which the obvious became obvious to all: to media, to fans, and most importantly, to players themselves.

And if you don't think he thought this all through before it ever happened, then you don't understand the genius of Coach Swinney.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good lawd, I'm Albert Einstein...

Sep 22, 2018, 10:33 PM

I was convinced before TL stepped onto campus

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hi Al. Can I call you “Al”?***

Sep 22, 2018, 10:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good lawd, I'm Albert Einstein...

Sep 22, 2018, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Good lawd, I'm Albert Einstein... ]

You miss the point. Managing culture is a nuanced business.

I get leading people...

Sep 22, 2018, 10:43 PM

I'm still not convinced this is the best way, but Dabo makes millions of dollars to do this, and what he does usually turns out well.

I think EVERYONE knew who the starter should be going into the season. So possibly, the only one who needed to be convinced was KB. But will he ever really be convinced?

I cannot see how the way Saban handled it was bad? He won the NC last year, making his decision "a year late." And the team knew who the starter was going to be from day one of camp.

It could be said that Saban is decisive and Dabo is not. But I don't think we can say one handled it properly and the other didn't, other than from a homer point of view.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get leading people...

Sep 22, 2018, 10:47 PM

They won the title last, year, and good for them, but not for correct handling of the QB situation (30 five stars is the reason, in case you were wondering).

the 29 five stars were ineffective in the first half...

Sep 22, 2018, 10:50 PM

a coach made a ballsy call to put in the 30th five star and changed the momentum of the game.

I wasn't wondering, because I watched it

Re: the 29 five stars were ineffective in the first half...

Sep 22, 2018, 11:10 PM

What not work him in starting in the first week? I mean, if he's so "decisive" and all.

Re: the 29 five stars were ineffective in the first half...

Sep 22, 2018, 11:11 PM

"Why not work", not "What not work"

part of handling it is you get paid millions and facing the

Sep 23, 2018, 12:03 AM [ in reply to I get leading people... ]

media is part of the job. saban is an ### at that

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"one year to late"... did they have to vacate the title

Sep 22, 2018, 10:37 PM

they won last year?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "one year to late"... did they have to vacate the title

Sep 22, 2018, 10:47 PM

They won the title last, year, and good for them, but not for correct handling of the QB situation (30 five stars is the reason, in case you were wondering).

Re: Coach Swinney's genius

Sep 22, 2018, 10:44 PM

In many ways, I think Dabo is a very good chess player. His approach to the game resembles a great chess match to me. Form a solid position, gain an advantage, then use your defense to prevent the opponent from returning to an equal position. Use your advantage to win the endgame. I see this EVERY game.

Sep 22, 2018, 11:58 PM

...sometimes I think you guys are thinking way too hard.... maybe it's just me, but at the same time -

Go Tigers!!!

Sep 23, 2018, 3:53 PM

twill said:

Saban "made the decision" (and one year late, by the way, given that Tua is in his second year), and then Saban made an A$$ out of himself in the way he talked about the decision.

Yup, it's been hard for the Bama fans of the world. He made the decision at the end of the season and has been ridiculed, driven from his home, ostracized. Stupid guy only won a national championship and beat everyone else (except auburn) up to that point in the year with his crummy starting QB.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo has a variety of reasons to have done this...

Sep 23, 2018, 4:16 PM

as he has. I agree, one of the minor factors was public relations but Imo, that is an extremely minor factor. The obvious is that he's developing both as well as time will allow.

Will TL end up atop the chart? Sure, that's inevitable but that's insignificant and it is not a factor of our W/L record at this time. I can assure you, when the time comes that we need Trevor to play the QB role singularly to win a game the decision will make itself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This schedule lent itself to slow-walking the QB decision

Sep 23, 2018, 4:18 PM

This year's schedule provided a very good opportunity for experimenting and letting things take their course without undue worry about losing a game.

This is very different from the season where Deshaun Watson and Cole Stoudt immediately came into a huge opener at night over in Athens against a really good UGA team.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic