Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs. GT on a Thursday night to open 2019 season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Clemson vs. GT on a Thursday night to open 2019 season?

Jul 24, 2018, 7:09 PM

ACC Commissioner John Swofford told the media last week at the ACC Football Kickoff that the league is on schedule to debut the ACC Network next August, and sources have told TigerNet that Clemson could be a big part of that debut.

According to what we have been hearing - and are still waiting on Clemson and the ACC to confirm - Clemson will host Georgia Tech on a Thursday night in the season opener in 2019 and it could be on the new network. Clemson last played at home on a Thursday night was in 2013, defeating Georgia Tech 55-31. Clemson and Georgia Tech have split four Thursday night games.

The Tigers have played 16 games in that time slot, and only three have been home games. Clemson is 7-9 overall on Thursday nights but has won six in a row. Georgia Tech has played 26 times on Thursday night but has lost seven in a row.

The Tigers and Yellow Jackets are scheduled to play in late September in Atlanta in 2018, the second conference game for Tech and the first for the Tigers.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. How is this guy so bad at this? If the ACC was a private business

Jul 24, 2018, 7:14 PM

And he was the CEO, our competition would have buried us years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

The ACC is a private business, managing public

Jul 24, 2018, 9:21 PM

and private schools...terribly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wednesday wasn't available??***

Jul 24, 2018, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Nope. How is this guy so bad at this? If the ACC was a private business ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Clemson vs. GT on a Thursday night to open 2019 season?

Jul 24, 2018, 7:18 PM

Bad idea

Just like it was a bad idea...

Jul 24, 2018, 7:40 PM

When your chickens help launch the $EC Network in 2014 against the Aggies...

Oh wait...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 7:18 PM

Bad idea

Remember when Bama launched SECN on Thurs vs Georgia?

Jul 24, 2018, 7:20 PM

Nope

Best Is The Standard

Jul 24, 2018, 7:25 PM

Current scheduling shows Wofford on 8/31, so this means that gets moved, right? And, A&M is scheduled to visit the next week (9/7) and I assume that one is set in stone, so the first two games would be GT on Thursday and A&M the next Saturday. Big way to start off the year.

Jul 24, 2018, 7:28 PM

Should also point out the SCar game is 11/30, which means it is a week pushed back (due to Thanksgiving being pushed back). I guess that means this will be one of those seasons with an extra bye week for most teams who schedule through Thanksgiving week. Starting Aug. 31 through Nov. 30 is a total of 14 Saturdays ... 12-game schedule plus 2 byes.

Jul 24, 2018, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs. GT on a Thursday night to open 2019 season? ]

They may schedule our first two games as a doubleheader and require Clemson to play a split squad against GT and A&M. A way to even the playing field in the acc.

Message was edited by: Vermontfan1221

Jul 24, 2018, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs. GT on a Thursday night to open 2019 season? ]

Wofford is scheduled for November 2nd. We are open to play GT the opening weekend.

Jul 25, 2018, 8:19 AM

I was looking at the "Future Schedules" tab on TigerNet and it shows Wofford 8/31. Maybe it was moved and the page not updated...??

Jul 26, 2018, 5:22 PM

www.fbschedules.com is much more accurate. Hope this helps!

I love this

Jul 24, 2018, 7:30 PM

As a (relatively) recent grad I see a lot of positives: the campus would be rocking all week, we’d have the day to ourselves in terms of the TV time slot, we never have trouble with GT with Venables, we get their dirty a$$es out of the way early so guys are able to recuperate from getting their knees chopped, we get a long week to prepare for A&M, and that frees up the FCS game to be before the Coots.

Sure traveling for some out of town alumni would be harder with it on Thursday but the environment would be awesome.

Re: I love this

Jul 24, 2018, 7:42 PM

Clemson should never play a Thursday night game, ever!

Jul 24, 2018, 10:03 PM

Clemson should never play a Thursday night game, ever!

I agree with you completely. It is time our AD to tell UNC-Swoffie not no but h___ no!!!! What do you think Alabama would do if they were asked to play a Thursday night game? Saban would go nuts!!! I guarantee you that Alabama will not be asked to play Thursday or this Friday BS.

Thursday night games are awful at Clemson. As a Student I

Jul 24, 2018, 8:01 PM [ in reply to I love this ]

had to endure Phillip Rivers and his kid playing us on a Thursday night; classes weren't cancelled ahead of time, parking for on-campus residents and off-campus commuters was all jacked up, it is just a NO NO NO from me. Play football on SATURDAY. I felt that way as a student and I still do.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: Thursday night games are awful at Clemson. As a Student I

Jul 24, 2018, 8:21 PM

Zero chance I would’ve been in class Thursday for a home Thursday night game and I’d bet most of my professors would’ve cancelled class anyway.

And next year it would just mean a 4.5 day Labor Day weekend which I also wouldn’t mind.

Jul 24, 2018, 9:19 PM [ in reply to I love this ]

"frees up the FCS game to be before the Coots" Why would we need an FCS team to tune up for an FCS caliber team?

Jul 24, 2018, 9:19 PM

a FCS* Curse you grammer.

Obviously

Jul 24, 2018, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I love this ]

So we can get accustomed to a lower level team after playing an actual D1 team like Wake Forest.

Don’t need our guys catching a full on belly laugh when they see the Coots’ ineptitude and pull a muscle before we head to Charlotte.

When was last time Alabama played on a thrs?***

Jul 24, 2018, 7:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When was last time Alabama played on a thrs?***

Jul 25, 2018, 6:45 AM

Alabama also already has a conference TV network that provides them a significant source of revenue. If we’re the team they want to launch it, in a minimal risk scenario, and it will bring us an extra $15-$20M/year and close the revenue gap with a lot of the other major programs we’re recruiting against, you can suck up hosting one Thursday game.

Look at the bigger picture. It’s not going to kill anyone and it’s good for the program long term.

Jul 24, 2018, 9:17 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No! To any Thursday night home games!!

Jul 24, 2018, 9:42 PM

The town and the campus are not equipped for the disruption and the football program doesn’t need the TV exposure at the expense of fan attendance.

No Thursday night (or heaven forbid Friday night) games in Clemson ... ever.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put it on Saturday and Sounds Great

Jul 24, 2018, 10:56 PM

Big NO for Thursday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The biggest season-opening Thursday game this year is

Jul 24, 2018, 11:26 PM

Northwestern @ Purdue. Wake Forest also visits Tulane.

It would be a night game also, nice way to beat the August heat, plenty of hydration going on before. You can bet there would be a massive student turnout.

That game would own the college football universe for the night. Labor Day weekend following so easier to stretch out a few days prior to accommodate Thursday. Not the worst thing I can imagine but I'm sure it messes with a fair number of fans.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol. good ol Swofford ...

Jul 25, 2018, 8:42 AM

https://goo.gl/images/xRwQoA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1st game of the season and with our ranking and...

Jul 26, 2018, 5:34 PM

everybody who knows chit about college football will be watching including high schoolers. Yeah, I don't like the distance between games either but in this case I'll bite the bullet and bear it.

I'm satisfied Dabo could have squelched the deal had he wanted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic