Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Civil Discussion - Three Accomplishments
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 89
| visibility 1

Civil Discussion - Three Accomplishments

Jan 7, 2014, 5:38 PM

All smack aside, I'd like to know what the Clemson fan base believes are the top three things your football team accomplished this year.

I believe the top three things SC accomplished this year are:

1. #4 finish

2. Three straight 11 win seasons in the SEC (I believe it's the best conference in the nation, but if you believe it's not, it's better than most conferences)

3. Five straight wins against our in-state rival

What are your thought on these? No smack, just honest analysis. I'll offer my rebuttal to your top three and we'll see if we can discuss like adults.
I'm sure we'll agree to disagree, but that's life in SC

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our only one is a BCS win

Jan 7, 2014, 5:41 PM

Priority:

1. Win National Championship
2. Get to National Championship
3. Win BCS Bowl (now win Playoff Bowl)
4. Get to BCS Bowl (now get to Playoff Bowl)
5. Win Conference
6. Play in Conference Championship Game
7. Beat South Carolina

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I see what you did there....

Jan 7, 2014, 5:44 PM

True tho.

Re: Our only one is a BCS win

Jan 7, 2014, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Our only one is a BCS win ]

I agree with your list of priorities

So would you then agree that our season was better?***

Jan 7, 2014, 5:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Boom! You set that trap perfectly***

Jan 7, 2014, 5:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Boom! You set that trap perfectly***

Jan 7, 2014, 6:20 PM

Not intended to be a thread where traps are set. What do you think the three major accomplishments are. What do you think of SCs three accomplishments?

If we wanted to discuss SCAR's accomplishments, we would

Jan 7, 2014, 7:58 PM

go to FGF.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: If we wanted to discuss SCAR's accomplishments, we would

Jan 7, 2014, 10:02 PM

tough crowd
what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Except for bears!***

Jan 7, 2014, 10:40 PM

Re: Except for bears!***

Jan 7, 2014, 10:47 PM

I carry a Taurus Judge with 45 ACP….I'd give it a run for its money

^^^^^^^^I like this guy

Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: If we wanted to discuss SCAR's accomplishments, we would ]

At least he's trying

Sorry you're a SC fan....you would make a good tiger ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we wanted to discuss SCAR's accomplishments, we would

Jan 8, 2014, 1:01 AM [ in reply to Re: If we wanted to discuss SCAR's accomplishments, we would ]

Kelly Clarkson in da house!

For a program that has defined mediocrity your

Jan 7, 2014, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Boom! You set that trap perfectly*** ]

accomplishments were good. This season was pretty much your best chance for a while to play for a conference championship. The SEC is stronger than the ACC, so while we both sustain losses, we're still among the elite in the ACC. Pretty much cannot argue we're still the only team that might compete with FSU. You guys fall back and the schedule gets tougher again next year. @ Auburn, @ Florida, @ Clemson, even @ Vandy. Home against aTm, Georgia, Missouri. You've been excellent, not quite elite. Next year, honestly, I think you step back. Thompson is not Shaw, While you can righly say Stoudt is not Boyd, we don't play that schedule. Shaw bailed your O-Line out consistently. Did it against us. Thompson can't do that consistently. Big drop off on the D-Line. You don't have another Clowney for sure, but you don't have another Quarles as well. And Sutton while not elite will be drafted. The guys you'll have up front are not of the same quality and your smaller LB's will suffer because of it. Losing both starting corners is a big blow as well as the pass rush won't be the same. I don't think you fall of the map. Still have Davis who is a stud. O-Line should be decent but they couldn't block for Davis late in the year. Losing Ellington hurts but maybe Roland does truly emerge. Personally, I think 8-4 would be good for y'all next year. Thompson will get exposed and throw a lot of INT's. Could see one of your younger QB's getting a lot of PT, but they have no experience so they'll take their lumps. Stoudt and Thompson are very similar. Stoudt has the advantage playing lesser competition and in a system that should sustain. The QB run, a staple with Shaw, no becomes a surprise play instead of a staple, so other areas must step up.

Re: For a program that has defined mediocrity your

Jan 7, 2014, 9:39 PM

Other than stating what is clearly your opinion as fact, I think this is pretty fair and the kind of discussion that makes message boards fun.
Your scenario could well play out but it is also likely (maybe even probable) we change the offense to suit Dylan better and lean on a very talented and experienced OL and LB corp and have similar success as we had this year.
I do have one question, you said this was our best period ever and that we have been excellent, but not elite?
Assuming this period is the last 3 years (obviously) who would you say has been elite, and how do we stack up with them?

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Elite is winning the SEC or at least being the second best

Jan 7, 2014, 9:49 PM

team and playing in a BCS bowl. You've been very close, just not quite. The gaffs @ Florida last year and @ Tennessee this year cost you elite status. Yes, the offense has to change drastically. Thompson is a great kid, but the talented OL you speak of consistently struggled in passpro and Shaw consistently bailed them out. They also couldn't open any holes for Davis late in the year. They need to step up big time next year for the offense to succeed against the better D's you'll play. Personally, the D-Line is where I see the big drop off. Clowney is like Watkins, you simply don't replace them. One in a generation type player. Quarles was arguably the best DT in the SEC but he benefited greatly from the attention payed to Clowney. Dukes has talent, but he won't have anything close to Clowney beside him. The twins are good players, but they are not elite athletes. Ward will have to blitz a ton next year and that will leave inexperienced corners on an island. Honestly, in the ACC, I'd say 9-10 wins, ust as I think with us. But with a Florida that has to be improved and is great defensively anyway, a stacked Auburn, an always talented Georgia, a Missouri team with a QB who got meaningful time this year, a solid Vandy if Franklin stays, a Clemson team that will be good and aTm and a system that does continue to produce even if Johnny$$$$ leaves, that's a tough hill to climb with so much talent quality talent departing. JMO

Re: Elite is winning the SEC or at least being the second best

Jan 7, 2014, 10:01 PM

Fair enough. I think our OL was better than you let on and Mike was terribly banged up at the end of the season, but that's all small stuff.
Difficult to determine who is really 2nd best in SEC since twice in this streak we have been ranked ahead of the team in the SECCG and finished the season ranked above them as well. Hard to say we weren't the 2nd best team in the SEC this year. That said, we didn't get in the game because we had a throw up game and that is the rules.
There are only 3 teams with better win% and more wins over that time and as you fairly point out, the SEC is pretty stiff comp. I feel like that's elite, but we aren't going to change each others' minds on that :)
Also, I think the twins might surprise you. We have an incredible s&c program and those guys are beasts!
Who do you think wins the QB job for CU?

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Re: Elite is winning the SEC or at least being the second best

Jan 7, 2014, 10:06 PM

yep..those steroids really work!! strange U are proud of that

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Stoudt has a great senior year. He's not at as

Jan 7, 2014, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Elite is winning the SEC or at least being the second best ]

physically talented as Boyd, like Thompson and Shaw, but he's smart and a very, very accurate passer. I'm also a big believer that kids of NFL guys just have an advantage. They grew up with it and have been drilled in the fundamentals from childhood. Like Thompson as well, he can surprise you with a little athleticism. Kelly will play, as he offers a lot of diversity with his legs, but Stoudt I believe is the starter and deservedly so. Hoping bigtime Watson redshirts and has a year in S&C to add some weight. Our QB has to run in this system and at 185lbs he needs some good weight. Also, true frreshmen QB's by and large need a redshirt year. I also think we'll have a much better run game next year with 2 bigger and very talented redshirt RB's

Davis was indeed very banged up. But he'll have to carry an even bigger load next year. Your WR's need to really have big years as Thompson will have to get the ball out qucik. I've just seen too many times where Shaw turned a sack in to a first down, and while Thompson can do that occasionally, he ain't Shaw. Have a lot of respect for Conner, a real gamer

Re: I think Stoudt has a great senior year. He's not at as

Jan 7, 2014, 10:24 PM

Thanks. That is the 3rd Clemson fan today (2 in person) that mentioned Stoudt's accuracy. I agree totally on the NFL legacy part. Never a guarantee but a pretty good indicator.
It's funny about Shaw because most of us think he hung the moon, and I think he did too, but in terms of his avoiding sacks there was just as many times that he ran for big yardage, but didn't need to run to avoid the sack. I think our pass pro is really good actually. Funny enough, for much of Connor's career people were yelling at him to stay in the pocket.
Both D's should be key for both teams next year. The D that plays the best, that team likely has the best season, IMO.

No doubt about the defenses. With Anthony's

Jan 7, 2014, 10:37 PM

announcement today he's returning our D should be even better next year, with or without Beasley. The longer we don't hear from Beasley the better chance he returns, but Shaq Lawson had 11TFL and 5 sacks as his back up this year as a true freshman and has the best NFL body on the team. He'd fill in and not miss a beat. Everyone else up fron returns to what will be a top 10 nationally DL. We, like you lose both starting CB's, but have 2 seniors who have also started there as well and a ton of very talented redshirt freshmen. They'll make some mistakes as freshmen do but talent wise they are far better than the 2 leaving. Everywhere else is experienced talent returning, and redshirts to provide even more depth. Your DL will determine your D next season. You will need guys to perform where they never have before, as playmakers, not reserves. Can they? Of course. Will they and who will now back them up, that's the question

Re: No doubt about the defenses. With Anthony's

Jan 7, 2014, 10:40 PM

Thanks. I enjoyed it.
Since I'm one of the Coots with a job :) I'm headed to bed.

Re: I think Stoudt has a great senior year. He's not at as

Jan 7, 2014, 10:50 PM [ in reply to I think Stoudt has a great senior year. He's not at as ]

Agree with a lot of what you're saying and wouldn't be surprised at all if we take a step back towards 8-9 wins. One place I will disagree is on mike davis having to carry a bigger load. I think he was hurt by the wilds injury and our coaches didn't want to burn the redshirt on david willians. I think if those three stay healthy mike will actually get less carries next year. Think wilds and williams will take touches. Plus, with dylan being more of a pocket guy I won't be surprised if we throw the ball on a higher percentage of plays next year. Especially if the defense takes a step back and we find ourselves in higher scoring affairs.

The other fan and I were discussing the O-Line

Jan 8, 2014, 12:34 AM

having watched most SC games this year I just wasn't that impressed with the passpro, and saw Shaw time after time make something out of nothing. Thompson's reputation has been he gets rid of the ball quicker and throws to spots but I actually thought Shaw did that better than he ever had this year, which is why Dylan played so little. He finally did what Spurrier wanted. And he saved that OL countless sacks with his mobility, something Thompson won't do on a regular basis. Granted, the OL should improve, but if that does remain an issue it's a big problem. If you guys have to air it out, and face it, with Thompson back there, Spurrier will want to do that, that could be an issue. I've heard nothing but good things about Williams so maybe Davis does get fewer carries, but you absolutely have to run the ball to be successful. Without Shaw, you had no running game against us. Will be very interested to see the adjustments Spurrier makes because with the personel losses on D another step back there is likely

Re: The other fan and I were discussing the O-Line

Jan 8, 2014, 7:03 AM

Oh, I am not saying I want us to pass more. We will need a run game to help the defense. I think we may pass more even if it isn't in our best interest.

That has been Spurrier's history with Thompson at QB***

Jan 8, 2014, 11:00 AM

Don't see how that's possible...Davis is a complete package

Jan 9, 2014, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Re: I think Stoudt has a great senior year. He's not at as ]

He's a strong runner who can catch the ball. There was even speculation that his name may be in the Heisman hunt next season...you don't give a guy like that less carries, you make him an integral cog in your offense.

Re: For a program that has defined mediocrity your

Jan 7, 2014, 10:08 PM [ in reply to For a program that has defined mediocrity your ]

I don't think you give Thompson enough credit, but truthfully he hasn't played enough to say one way or the other. The D will take a step back, but I think the other side of the ball will progress, as long as Ellington's productivity is picked up elsewhere, possibly split between three receivers coming into their third year of playing experience (Roland, Byrd and Jones have played their fair share of snaps). O-line returns 4 starters, not too concerned there.
Who do you think will fill the void left by your WRs? I don't know your WR depth aside from reading the 2deep so I can't comment

The 3 starters will be Williams, Peake and Humphries

Jan 8, 2014, 12:41 AM

and they are all experienced and talented. Peake was poised for a breakout year before the injury and is actually faster than Sammy, but not as instinctual as a receiver. Williams will be the next star and Humphries does all the little things you need on a team. After that Germone Hopper has a lot of flash and should be far better after a year of apprenticeship. T.J. Green is a great athlete and the 3 incoming freshmen who all are enrolled for the spring all are 4 star guys who bring different things. Atravis Scott is a protypical slot guy who is very shifty and quick, Damarre Kitt a physical deep threat and Kyrin Priester is just a very polished guy coming from prep school

Holy wall of text***

Jan 8, 2014, 10:45 AM [ in reply to For a program that has defined mediocrity your ]

Re: So would you then agree that our season was better?***

Jan 7, 2014, 6:20 PM [ in reply to So would you then agree that our season was better?*** ]

No, I don't think you we're a top 8 teams, thus undeserving of a BCS game. If you were one of the top 8 ranked teams, than yes I would agree.
Making it to a BCS bowl game is commendable. I'm assuming you'd say that was one of your three major accomplishments. What would the other two be?

We beat a top 8 team in the game.

Jan 7, 2014, 6:28 PM

So yes, we were deserving.

Why are you seeking for our approval? I think that's why you coots are so butt hurt because you know if you don't get it from us....you'll never get it from the nation.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We beat a top 8 team in the game.

Jan 7, 2014, 6:37 PM

I am not butt hurt. I am not seeking your approval. I think we got more than enough national approval with a #4 finish. I want intelligent opinions, not ignorant fan-hate

You came here seeking our approval which, just like the fact

Jan 7, 2014, 8:23 PM

that you will never win a sec conference football championship, you will never get. Cooter you do not come here telling people what to do and not to do. You are, at best, a visitor here and if you had any manners at all you would know how to act. You are butthurt because you realize the pinnacle of USCheat football has been overshadowed by Clemson winning a BCS bowl game that your school was never invited to. Enjoy your 5th place rings and mid level bowl games and go back to fgf where your kind are much happier. Nice to see your coach agrees with me.................Well, he’s right,” Spurrier said. “We’ve never even been to a BCS bowl. We can’t get invited. We’re in the SEC.”

Re: You came here seeking our approval which, just like the fact

Jan 7, 2014, 10:39 PM

Man I'd agree with you if we didn't beat you and finish with a higher ranking than you!
IMO the W/L column and the standings at the end of the year matters more than the final game you were gifted (which I am apparently "butthurt" about).

At least the Green Bay Packers would agree with your stance that being worse than the Arizona Cardinals is actually better…despite being worse on paper….

Why do you need approval for what UCS accomplished

Jan 7, 2014, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: We beat a top 8 team in the game. ]

or did not accomplish? Would you be on the board if y'all finished 15th? No, so you are here just to stick out your chest and act like the coots accomplished something. You went to a 2nd tier bowl and won it. Be happy, you don't need Clemson fans to applaud you. People on this site could care less what your 3,5 or 10 best accomplishments are.

Re: Why do you need approval for what UCS accomplished

Jan 7, 2014, 10:15 PM

I seek no approval. I want to know what you think your team accomplished and I said what I think my team accomplished. It's a discussion board! Discussions are two sided, not a one hand circle jerk.
I haven't even begun to try and poke holes in your arguments yet.
Why are you so pissed?

Re: Why do you need approval for what UCS accomplished

Jan 7, 2014, 10:17 PM

I feel ya bro. Hang in there. :)

Believe me I'm not "pissed", just stated facts. You're

Jan 7, 2014, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do you need approval for what UCS accomplished ]

upset because nobody wants to play your game which is childish.

Re: We beat a top 8 team in the game.

Jan 8, 2014, 1:24 AM [ in reply to Re: We beat a top 8 team in the game. ]

Your #4 ranking is by default because a lot of higher rated teams were upset in their games. Yeah you won against some really good teams but you lost to two unranked teams. We lost to the BCS Champs and the #4 team.(giggles while typing) So technically we should be ranked higher than you using coot logic.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check the rankings, chief. We ARE a top 8 team, top 7 to

Jan 7, 2014, 11:38 PM [ in reply to Re: So would you then agree that our season was better?*** ]

coaches. We got there by earning our way through a BCS bowl win, while SCar got to #4 moving ahead of the BCS bowl losers, including ours. Considering that ranking was one of your three accomplishments this season, then you're welcome.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me ask you a question. What is your list of SC's top

Jan 9, 2014, 12:04 AM [ in reply to Re: So would you then agree that our season was better?*** ]

10 accomplishments in their 110+ year history of playing CFB?................... ..................

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree with your list...

Jan 8, 2014, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Our only one is a BCS win ]

1. Win National Championship
2. Get to National Championship
3. Win BCS Bowl (now win Playoff Bowl)
4. Get to BCS Bowl (now get to Playoff Bowl)
5. Win Conference
6. Play in Conference Championship Game
7. Humiliate South Carolina, destroy them, make them feel great pain
8. Beat South Carolina

Re: Our only one is a BCS win

Jan 8, 2014, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Our only one is a BCS win ]

In order to accomplish #1-2 (and outside of this year #3-4 typically), you have to accomplish #7

There are a couple good ones I think

Jan 7, 2014, 5:45 PM

Beating a top ten team on a national stage

Hosting Gameday twice was huge for exposure even if we blew the second game.

Selected as an at large team to a BCS bowl

Winning said BCS bowl.

Went two of three over national powerhouse schools.

I could care less about record or rankings if we didn't win a championship.

Re: There are a couple good ones I think

Jan 7, 2014, 6:21 PM

I forgot about Gameday. That is a rare treat. Two in a season

As far as advancing to become a national power

Jan 7, 2014, 5:53 PM

Which neither SC school is I would say ours was better.

Until our drastically underrated rivalry isn't stuck on ESPN2 it means very little to either program outside of pride and fans that like to rag each other. We owned SC for years and where did it get us?

Re: As far as advancing to become a national power

Jan 7, 2014, 6:33 PM

I can see why you'd say the rivalry game was meaningless for Clemson this year. Win or lose, I think you would have went to the Orange Bowl. Only thing it really did was lower your final ranking a few spots, but staying in the top 10 still shows the program in a favorable light. Any season with a top 10 finish is successful.
For SC, no way we would have gone to the Capital One Bowl if we would have lost to Clemson. It kept us much more relevant and helped us dramatically.

Re: As far as advancing to become a national power

Jan 7, 2014, 6:54 PM [ in reply to As far as advancing to become a national power ]

That was our (USC) fault.

Beating a crappy team doesn't help your OOC schedule or SOS argument.

Now that both teams are very good...it does mean something on a national scale.

My goal is for the USC/Clemson game to have the national attention that the 'Bama/Barn game has.

Re: Civil Discussion - Three Accomplishments

Jan 7, 2014, 5:55 PM

Second straight 11 win season.

Getting the monkey off our back and finally winning a BCS bowl, versus Ohio State nonetheless (that was pretty sweet, their fans will talk trash to anyone and everyone and I can't stand the Buckeyes.)

The third could be quite a few things. At the beginning of the season it would probably be the Georgia win, we all thought Georgia would be a top 10ish team but we saw how injuries and a lot of bad breaks blew up their season.

Top 10 finish was nice but if we aren't #1 it doesn't matter to me where we are at the end of the season. I can pass my own judgements on how the team faired.

When it comes down to it, Clemson and South Carolina had similar(-ish) seasons. Obviously neither represented their division in the conference championship or raised a conference title trophy, but you won the head to head which sucks. Both teams had some great wins and bad losses on a national stage. Your final ranking was higher but I felt that we played in a better bowl against a better opponent. We can all argue about which is more important, but either way, bowl wins are huge as they give teams a lot of confidence heading into the spring practices and the following season. Both Clemson and South Carolina will need that confidence from their young guys and backups because both teams are losing a big chunk of their key contributors from 2013.

Jan 7, 2014, 6:29 PM

Yeah winning your last game always makes the non-football months more bearable

I got a question for you. Why have you come here?

Jan 7, 2014, 5:59 PM

nm

Re: I got a question for you. Why have you come here?

Jan 7, 2014, 6:25 PM

I want to know what your fan base thinks. So I have come to the source

Jan 7, 2014, 6:13 PM

1) Orange Bowl Win - National Prime Time Stage against a real storied football program who has fans that can handle success or failure with class

2) 11 overall wins

3) The academic success and quality of our players

By the way it will not be a major accomplishment when we beat you again, just a return to the normal course of things as they should be.

Jan 7, 2014, 6:27 PM

"By the way it will not be a major accomplishment when we beat you again, just a return to the normal course of things as they should be."

I'll come back in ten years when you beat us again and we'll see if your tune changes ;)

Ten years? And, you want a civil discussion?***

Jan 8, 2014, 7:26 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 7, 2014, 6:26 PM

1. First and only BCS win for any SC schools
2. Watkins and Boyd records (special men and special athletes)
3. Not being a mother-sniffing Coot.

Jan 7, 2014, 6:28 PM

"3. Not being a mother-sniffing Coot. "
awesome

Jan 7, 2014, 6:45 PM

1. The Orange Bowl.

2. Beating Uga, and lets remember they beat SC when healthy and should have beaten Auburn when they were beat up.

3 Because I hate the fact we would celebrate a 11 win season because the bottom line is we only won the orange bowl as a championship, you are going to win 11 games then you should be some kind of champion to celebrate it.. No one will care if we won 11 games next year unless it is you guys because we all know how big a deal it is for Usc to have a 10 or 11 win season. I guess an auburn fan summed it up best. Usc has Alabama mouth but a Vanderbilt trophy case.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2014, 10:27 PM

"3 Because I hate the fact we would celebrate a 11 win season because the bottom line is we only won the orange bowl as a championship, you are going to win 11 games then you should be some kind of champion to celebrate it.. No one will care if we won 11 games next year unless it is you guys because we all know how big a deal it is for Usc to have a 10 or 11 win season. I guess an auburn fan summed it up best. Usc has Alabama mouth but a Vanderbilt trophy case."

I think 11 wins is worthy of praise no matter who you are. Not many undefeated or one loss teams this year.
Side note, you kick dirt on our 11 wins, but 5 of those come from teams that finished in the top 25, and 3 in the top 10. I don't think any other team in the country can say either of those this year.

Jan 7, 2020, 7:58 PM

Yet I believe you were also the only top 10 team with two losses to teams that finished the year unranked.

So, there's that...

null

Top 3

Jan 7, 2014, 6:37 PM

1) Orange Bowl
2) Back to back 11 win seasons
3) Beating Georgia in the first meeting in over a decade

Re: Top 3

Jan 7, 2014, 10:22 PM

"3) Beating Georgia in the first meeting in over a decade "
Great way to start the season too

You can't get a civil discussion on FGF?

Jan 7, 2014, 7:01 PM

Why aren't you over there talking about Clemson's accomplishments? I thought so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can't get a civil discussion on FGF?

Jan 7, 2014, 10:22 PM

Because there are more Clemson fans here. Larger sample size.
???

Jan 7, 2014, 8:43 PM

Wait!? Another intelligent Coot seeking civil discussion on TNet?

HAVE I BEEN REASSIGNED? :)

Intelligent coot?

Jan 7, 2014, 8:45 PM

Isn't that an oxymoron?

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tooshay*****

Jan 7, 2014, 8:50 PM

Werd***

Jan 7, 2014, 8:54 PM

Re: Intelligent coot?

Jan 8, 2014, 1:28 AM [ in reply to Intelligent coot? ]

Nope just a regular old moron. ;)

Jan 7, 2014, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Civil Discussion - Three Accomplishments ]

These colors don't run man. I'm here with ya

Jan 7, 2014, 10:29 PM

10-4.
That is kind of a joke with some regulars here that there are only 3 reasonable Coots on the internet and we have to rotate to different sites.
I thought I had been reassigned. :)

Jan 8, 2014, 1:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Civil Discussion - Three Accomplishments ]

You are right,but those colors do smell and look like chicken ####.

Pretty good..

Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 AM

And truth be told...our colors run, too...especially on the QB draw play! :)

Jan 7, 2014, 9:53 PM

Priority 1: Rid the board of all COOTS!!!!

Jan 7, 2014, 10:20 PM

I'd prefer not too

11 wins is great, except your schedule was really a joke.

Jan 7, 2014, 10:14 PM

You only beat 1 SEC team with a winning conference record. you didn't play any teams from the west, Bama, Auburn, A&M, LSU. So congrats on 11 wins... We would have had 12 with that schedule.

Re: 11 wins is great, except your schedule was really a joke.

Jan 7, 2014, 10:17 PM

We beat 3 teams in the top 10. 5 teams in the top 25.
Did anyone else do that?
I'm wary of the SEC schedule talk. We play who the SEC tells us to play in conference and we played(and beat) Clemson, UCF and Wisconsin out of conference. Find me another team that can say that

Re: 11 wins is great, except your schedule was really a joke.

Jan 7, 2014, 10:32 PM

And North Carolina. They were one of the 11 bowl teams from the ACC.

2/3 of your Top 10 victories came out of conference, say

Jan 7, 2014, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: 11 wins is great, except your schedule was really a joke. ]

what you will, but your conference sched was weak for an SEC team...

Re: 2/3 of your Top 10 victories came out of conference, say

Jan 7, 2014, 11:21 PM

best out of conference wins in the country - two BCS bowls winners and top 10 teams, and our third toughest was an ACC bowl champ. Clemons third toughest OOC game this year was SC STATE

Re: 2/3 of your Top 10 victories came out of conference, say

Jan 8, 2014, 12:54 AM

I would have trouble counting perennial, long standing, power houses Missouri and UCF as signature wins to hang program status on.

You just made my point...Your toughest comp was OoC...***

Jan 8, 2014, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: 2/3 of your Top 10 victories came out of conference, say ]

Toughest opponents were OoC and they STILL couldn't make

Jan 9, 2014, 12:14 AM

it to the SEC championship. Must suck to be a doormat...

Count your blessings coot. Take away the majority of those turnovers and those 'fear the thumb' t-shirts would have been shipped overseas to some third world country.

You can't sit here and count Clemson as one of your tough OoC opponents can you, and then still tells us what a joke of team we are and how pathetic our competition is. Can't have it both ways. Either admit you think we're severely overrated and not worthy of our praise and accomplishments or suck it up and accept that, despite our loss to you, we still had a more successful season and the country sees and acknowledges our accomplishments more readily than yalls. Sounds like you're stabbing your arguments in the foot.

You realize that 2/3 of that list dates back at least 3

Jan 7, 2014, 10:59 PM

years? Wasn't the question about THIS year's accomplishments?

You do realize that you didn't win all 11 in the SEC right?***

Jan 7, 2014, 11:00 PM

I'm surprised. I did not believe civil football discussion

Jan 8, 2014, 12:23 AM

was possible on Tnet. But I enjoyed the majority of entries on this thread.

So here are my top three.

1) The Georgia win. To play that well in an opener and win was a rare bird for Clemson. Some special seasons have started that way. I hated we gave up that late touchdown.

2) Beating all the teams we were supposed to bet. That's another chronic short coming for Clemson. All by double digits is a bonus.

3) The Ohio State win. They have had a bunch of wins the last two seasons, they are historically a top tier program, and Urban Meyer would be able to coach at any program in the country. To get a win against all that is a good feather.

The not top three.

1) The Florida State loss. The loss was one piece, not even being in the game was a whole different issue. The whole stadium was looking for another UGA, down to the wire, type game.

2) Losing to Carolina. I don't know how long you gamecock visitors have been on this earth. But I have seen 4 four in a row and one 3 in a row Clemson win streaks in my lifetime. So I know a little about how you feel. Maybe (if you are old enough) you know a lot about how we feel. Trust me, we are coming back. Some older parts of your fan base should have enough "history" to know this is true.

3) The Clemson bashing on this board. The team is not perfect, but they are getting better since Dado has gotten 5 season's under his belt. I promise you, if Dado's record was 5-1 against Carolina....he'd already be in the ring of honor. :)

^^^Nice Post^^^***

Jan 8, 2014, 8:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so with your #3 you admit Clemson is a good team??

Jan 8, 2014, 11:05 AM

or else thats no accomplishment

3 11-win seasons and 5 straight wins over Clemson in 1 year?

Jan 8, 2014, 8:06 PM

Wow, that is pretty impressive.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 89
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic