Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Today marks a whole year since i quit drinking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Today marks a whole year since i quit drinking

Oct 26, 2019, 9:23 AM

It was really hard at first, especially not drinking before or during our games but the longer you go without alcohol the easier it gets. I had to make some kind of change in my life as i was drinking every night, gaining a lot weight and just doing really stupid things while i was drunk. I didnt go to rehab or do any kind of 12 step program just cold turkey quit. Ill probably drink again one day on certain occasions but im proud of myself for making it a whole year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Today marks a whole year since i quit drinking

Oct 26, 2019, 9:25 AM

Good work. Sounds like you would love to get drunk today though. Anyway, that's impressive.

Oct 26, 2019, 9:26 AM

That's awesome! Glad to hear you are able to get your life straight. I have never been an alcohol drinker. Can't stand the way it tastes or smells. If they could put my DNA into an alcoholics body they would never touch the sauce again!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Salute to you on one year of sobriety. I have

Oct 26, 2019, 9:28 AM

seen the effects of alcoholism, close to home, and far away. Anyone who can overcome this addiction should be congratulated, early and often. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2019, 9:29 AM

Congrats! I’m over 20 years sober. Did it the same way, just decided it was controlling me and put an end to it.

Used to miss it, but don’t miss feeling miserable the next day at all.

I wouldn’t recommend starting again, but it’s your life...good luck!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats to both of you!

Oct 26, 2019, 9:36 AM

I enjoy my bourbon or scotch, but can't tolerate much beyond a light buzz, if that...and only at home. Nursing a glass for an hour or two is easy for me. For those who have an addiction, whatever the source, I can't imagine what they go through. There's a lot to say for genetics...good...or bad.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Congrats to both of you!

Oct 26, 2019, 9:47 AM

Yep, nothing against folks that can just have one or two and have a good time. In my day, if I had one, I had to have 12 and was really good at it.

Wish I was different, but genes have a lot to do with it. Both my dad and his sister had problems with drinking. So, when I had kids, I vowed that I would not make the same mistakes that I witnessed growing up, and said no mas.. I haven’t been a perfect person since, but I never had to apologize for what I said or did while drunk to my kids and that is really important to me.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Children can do wonderful things for your outlook

Oct 28, 2019, 9:15 AM

I quit smoking just before my first was born. Never looked back. She made it the easiest decision I've ever made.

Now I'm working on other aspects of my health so that my two girls have their stupid old man around long enough to be an old man.

Thanks for sharing that vfral1. Made me smile this morning.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One piece of spiritual advice

Oct 26, 2019, 9:35 AM

Don't be proud, be thankful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One piece of spiritual advice

Oct 27, 2019, 11:22 PM

Be both...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2019, 9:40 AM

Same with cigarettes....Throw them away, have withdrawal for a week and it gets easier and easier... Then i could enjoy a stogie (after 5 years)...Second hand cigarette smoke now makes me nauseous...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2019, 10:40 AM

Congratulations, never liked the taste myself. The only ones I could stand the taste of looked like I was carrying a fruit basket around.

Oct 26, 2019, 10:44 AM

Well this grandmommy is really proud of you!

Oct 26, 2019, 10:45 AM

My last drink was 40 years ago, October the 16th 1979. It was by the Grace of God and the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Work it one day at a time and just don't drink, you will never regret giving up the booze.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice, 6/11/89

Oct 28, 2019, 6:25 AM

is my date. I was in my second year of Grad School at Clemson. I figured I better quit because there was no way I was going to get a regular job where you have to show up to work at 8 am functioning...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My best buddy quit 25 years ago

Oct 26, 2019, 11:17 AM

We were running buddies during and after college. We both drank too much and did foolish things, but I managed to graduate college and keep a decent job. He didn’t. When he quit, I selfishly worried what that would mean for our friendship...if we had anything in common other than alcohol.

Happy to say that 25 years later, we are as close as ever. He is tolerant of my light drinking when we are together, and I am considerate of his non-drinking. Sometimes, we will have a couple of non-alcoholic beers together.

Congrats! Sho should be proud...and more determined than ever!

Oct 26, 2019, 11:32 AM

Great news ! But my advice forget the special occasions exceptions. It doesn’t work that way for most.

Oct 27, 2019, 1:45 PM

I personally don't you, but I to am proud of you and the will power that you had to reach for and struggle with. Keep it up, I done the same as you 10 years ago, and the only time I ever drink a cold beer, is after I'm done with my outdoor chores in the Summer, and I probably won't drink another until next summer if I live through the Winter, and there are ice cold Bud lights in my fridge 24/7 365 days a year. Finding out that I was diabetic is what forced me to stop drinking!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2019, 1:56 PM

Awesome brother & congratulations! I quit the same way....cold freakin turkey 4/19/2002. As far as drinking again, remember it’s a progressive disease that continues to grow even if you’re not drinking. That means if you start back, you’ll be at the point of where it is, not just you starting back at zero. Keep counting the Sober years and you’ll be glad you did!

Oct 27, 2019, 11:11 PM

Congratulations to you,you did the right thing and as the years go on in your life you will be glad that you did stop.I am 50 and I am so glad that I did not get addicted to alcohol at an early age like so many seem to do.Took my first and only drink back in high school,could not stand the #### and to see the after effects it had on people my age at the time and the way they carried themselves made me soooo glad of my decision to never drink it again after that one time.Nothing good at all comes out of alcohol and being drunk,that's a fact.

Oct 27, 2019, 11:24 PM

No need to EVER start back BleedOrange. You said it was causing problems. It will do the same eventually if you return to it!

Oct 27, 2019, 11:33 PM

Congratulations. I quit about 15 years ago. I quit the same way you did. After a few years, the thought of drinking became kind of sickening.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:07 AM

`I hate when people associate drinking with being drunk. I've never had that weakness. I love beers, certain whiskeys, etc. I have been "drunk" twice in my life, 60 years old.. Don't lump everyone.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:47 AM

It all depends on the person. Some can drink responsibly, some can't.

Oct 28, 2019, 5:27 AM

Congratulations my friend! Stay strong.

Oct 28, 2019, 6:26 AM

Man that takes tremendous courage! Congrats.

Oct 28, 2019, 6:52 AM

Congratulations. Change is brought about by deciding to do something and doing it. Kinda like the attitude of our head coach.
Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

Message was edited by: tigersnake1954®

Oct 28, 2019, 7:08 AM

If you were drinking every night, then it probably was time to stop. Your liver will appreciate it. I had a family member that died of cirrhosis. He drank his whole life, and it finally caught up to him.

Oct 28, 2019, 10:29 AM

Hey - congrats! I quit 30 years ago this year & feel great. Quit when I was 10. No!! I was mid-30s. I think it was God intervening. I was the person who would have 1 - which often led to 8 or 10. After maybe 15 years of that, I started having dull abdominal pain for a whole day later if I even had ONE. Then, it wasn't worth it at all, so I was forced to quit completely. Had I not, doubt I'd be around today making the world so much better (joking!).

Great job quitting & don't ever say, "Think I'll just have ONE."

Oct 28, 2019, 11:58 AM

Good job buddy!

So One of You Azzhatz TDed This Who Was it?***

Oct 28, 2019, 12:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't ever go back

Oct 28, 2019, 12:21 PM

I have been sober for almost a year, with a couple of slip ups. Once you flip that switch, there is no going back. You will quickly find your self back in the same place you were before and have to go through the entire process again. It is not worth it, life is far more enjoyable sober.

Balm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good job controlling it!

Oct 28, 2019, 12:23 PM

Always remember it only gets worse. So stay the course. Keep the special occasions special.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic