Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Headlight haze
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Headlight haze

Dec 8, 2018, 2:03 PM

Had my passenger side headlight get hit and cracked about a year ago. Replaced it, and spent 40 bucks on the heavy duty repair dehazer stuff for the driver side. Just so they'd match better.

That sshit lasted about 2 months, maybe. Did it again, and maybe got 4 or 5 months before it started hazing again.

Got tired of that, and spent 75 bucks on a brand new headlight. It even came with bulbs. Talk about a rock solid deal.

Pig for reference. Much better! Had to take the radiator plastic cover, and grill off. Only about 15 minute total repair. 3, 10mm bolts.

I feel like I done did something today. I'm headed to the bar ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nice job

Dec 8, 2018, 2:06 PM

looks great

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thanks!

Dec 8, 2018, 2:08 PM

Sometimes it's the little things that can make a day!

It takes a buffer and several passes with...

Dec 8, 2018, 2:14 PM

different abrasive compounds to restore a plastic lens. There is not wipe on and wipe off which works. I start with 800 g paper and work my way through four finer grits of paper up to 2500g then two or three different abrasive levels of rubbing and waxing compounds.

Unless you have the equipment, time and materials it's cheaper to just replace them.

The headlamp assemblies for my car are 200+ each and they are all junk. I don't think Bosch is making the OE anymore and a used set is 400-800 on Ebay.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never seen buffing the haze off to last more than

Dec 8, 2018, 2:22 PM

about 4 months; 6months on the outside. I went through this about 4 years ago on my 4Runner. I probably spent $50-$75 on buffing materials (on a buffer I already had). I finally just replaced it with an E bay knock off lens housing like you did. It probably has another year before it will need replacing as well. I won't even mess with buffing this one.

I use this about every 8-12 months

Dec 8, 2018, 2:34 PM

Takes about 25-30 minutes on my cordless drill.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIZ5HY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spray this when done.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4RVVX6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't touched those 4runner headlights in 4 years.

Dec 8, 2018, 3:07 PM

Other than washing them occasionally.

You did well! On the hazing...

Dec 8, 2018, 3:23 PM

From what I've read and seen, the reason the headlight hazes again so soon is because either 1.) No UV protection was applied or 2.) The UV protection applied has worn off

After all the sanding you need to apply something like this:

But for the price you got your headlight, I would have made the same choice.

Re: You did well! On the hazing...

Dec 8, 2018, 3:32 PM

I'll have to consider some of the products folks posted here. Most I've never tried.

This price was more a one-time thing. Had a $25 Amazon gift card, and it was $100 reg. price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I17SBG

Changing the headlights is the most permanent choice

Dec 8, 2018, 3:41 PM

and at that price, I'd have to imagine it's a no-brainer (only consideration would be difficulty in replacing the headlight, but it doesn't sound like it was much problem in your case).

For the future, if you are a member of Sam's Club, they offer a headlight restoration service for ~$30-40 with a 5 year warranty. (Not sure if Costco offers something similar)

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic