Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Certainly we are all displeased
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Certainly we are all displeased

Mar 25, 2019, 10:24 AM

With the Tigers performance on the basketball court this season. None of us feel nearly as bad as the players and coaches who put all the hard work in for just a mediocre season. Much was expected of this team since last year was such a good year for us and we returned the bulk of that team. But it wasn’t to be. If you watched the games as I did you saw very early in the year that our play at point guard was considerably worse than last year. Mitchell IS a top flight player who was highly recruited out of high school. He was very instrumental in the Tigers run to the sweet sixteen last year. I don’t think any of us knew that he was still recovering from the operation that he had although his play was obviously less than it had been. Winning is extremely difficult without a quality point guard and we didn’t have one this year. Reed certainly picked up some of the slack but he couldn’t do it all. A healthy Mitchell all year likely would have us still playing. So knock it off with the criticism of the players and coaches. Clemson is definately not going to change coaches any time soon. You don’t replace a coach who was coach of the year the previous year because of a bad season. The Tigers played short handed in the tournament without Mitchell and it showed. Losing William for the entire season probably didn’t help matters either. Some teams with a load of talent can withstand a few injuries but the Tigers are not that deep and haven’t been for years. Did you notice the drop off in the way Duke played without Zion? And they are a team with tremendous depth. It was a bad year. No one is happy. Move on.

Go Tigers
Join iptay

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Brownell sure has had a lot of bad luck and things

Mar 25, 2019, 10:40 AM

beyond his control that have caused us to come up short almost every year.

Maybe that will change in year 10.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alot of good points and you are right..

Mar 25, 2019, 10:44 AM

about not judging on one bad season but surely you can see folks frustration with our basketball program. Its the collective resume, which goes back nearly a decade.

Its just very stagnant and unappealing. There is no brand, very little energy...give me all the excuses you want, but Brownell is in charge and he alone, failed to seize momentum for the program that he had created.

What Clemson is willing to accept (both fans and administration) for basketball is a complete 180 for baseball and football. Can you imagine the same resumes on the top 2 programs at Clemson over 9 years? I'll say it again, unless our fanbase and administration just demands more (which I don't think is the case) then this is what we'll get. We aren't awful, but we certainly are nowhere close to being great. Its fun to have a chance every year at the NCAAT as Brownell gives us, but it'd be alot more fun to have more success.

At this point, give another guy a shot at it. If its purely a bottom line issues with buyout vs. revenue for basketball, then just keep him another year and wait. If you want to compete for championships, go big and put money up for it.

Thats my take

Re: Alot of good points and you are right..

Mar 25, 2019, 10:50 AM

So you think we would be better just to start all over again? A new coach with the players recruited by the old coach is going to give us success quickly? You may be right! But we will NOT know because it ain’t gonna happen?

Then why does anyone ever fire a coach in any sport...

Mar 25, 2019, 1:53 PM

Why did we fire Bowden? Or even Jack Leggett? Clemson may never be anything more than it is now, but you have to at least keep trying. Its about like Ole Miss with Andy Kennedy...all times wins leader, had a couple of tourney runs and a good guy, but it was just time to move on. And guess what, they ended yup being better off immediately. They were fortunate and had a guy like Kermit Davis available (that wanted to come to Ole Miss moreso than any other jobs). Not sure we have that option, but you gotta try something different at some point.

Brownell is a no win situation next year anyhow. Lost most all production, will need a couple of quality grad transfers to really compete and fanbase will be checked out unless we can find some hope early on. Piddly attendance, lesser record, no real change in play or recruiting...you are back in the same spot next year. If he makes the NCAAT then thats awesome and he's proved me and other wrong.

Mar 25, 2019, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Alot of good points and you are right.. ]

A decade????????? How about 80 years of mediocre bball??

I meaning for Brownell, sorry didn't clarify.***

Mar 25, 2019, 1:42 PM

Mar 25, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Alot of good points and you are right.. ]

Where is Tates Locke when you need him?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem is, it's been 9 years and it's never his fault. It's

Mar 25, 2019, 10:51 AM

so funny that he has one great year and it shows what a great coach he is but every other year is everybody else's fault. It's the administration, it's the lack of Fan support, it's the players, it's bad luck, it's the refs.....

It's a combination of all of those things, including Brad.

Mar 25, 2019, 3:10 PM

But you're living in a fantasy world if you expect any coach to come in and be successful without addressing the other issues some of us have been harping on.

There is a reason we have 100-plus years of basketball futility at Clemson. Failing to learn from what hasn't worked in the past is a sure recipe for continued disappointment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We should keep Brownell forever

Mar 25, 2019, 11:01 AM

Other than some decent free throw shooting, he is so vintage Clemson basketball.

-Winning just often enough to keep your interest, but not enough to actually win anything.
-Losing close games by excruciating margins, often on buzzer beaters
-Having ref screw jobs cost you games
-Losing close games where you miss layups over and over
-Blowing big leads in ACC tourney games
-Going 1 and done most years in the ACC tourney

I;ve been watching closely since 87, these recent years have been quintessential Clemson basketball tradition.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We should keep Brownell forever

Mar 25, 2019, 12:18 PM

I've been a Clemson Basketball season ticket holder since 1997. We have a 9yr sample and know what to expect with Brad. Additionally, history has shown us that Clemson could do a lot worse. As it relates to me personally, I only went to one game this year. Too much effort for too little excitement, IMO. I understand the reasoning for keeping him, but I cant fake being entertained.

Hangdog Brad

Mar 25, 2019, 3:21 PM

at his best. 4 starters return from a Sweet 16 team and we can't win at home in the 2nd round of the NIT? 9 years and no overall improvement in the program is the biggest issue I have with CBB. Where is the player improvement from year to year? How many former players are playing professionally that CBB coached?

A friend's son made it onto the team as a manger this year, but quit after 3 weeks because of how CBB acted. He was always down on the players and cussing them. My friend's son was miserable just being there that short time. The players never seemed like they were enjoying a game and looked like they were playing really tight this season.

9 years. 3 NIT's. 2 NCAA's (1st season with Oliver Purnell recruits). We can be better than that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic