Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Caught these offshore today.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Caught these offshore today.

Jul 3, 2019, 4:43 PM
123951_04.jpg(186.1 K)
123951_05.jpg(153.3 K)

It was a beautiful day today, caught these with my brother. Can't get any better the day before the 4th.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Caught these offshore today.

Jul 3, 2019, 4:47 PM

Those black sea bass are tasty critters. Ya'll gonna eat good tonight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 5:58 PM

Seeing that nice mess of Black fish reminds me of my childhood. Back in the mid to late fifties we would go out with Captain J.J. Lockwood to the black fish banks as he called them. On this particular trip we were close to the fishing grounds and he spotted something off the port side. He throttled back and took his glasses to have a look. He called his mates which were his sons to look also. They told us that the boat's flag was upside down which meant they needed help. He headed the Tiki towards the boat which was some distance from us. As we closed the distance we began to see a fairly large old fishing boat. Captain Lockwood had tried numerous times to raise the vessel on the radio, but received no answer. We finally got within hailing distance and Captain Lockwood asked them why they did not answer the radio and asked them who they were. They told Captain Lockwood that they had no radio, were fishing for Carrolls seafood market. They told Captain that their battery was dead and they had been adrift for several days. Captain Lockwood rigged a heavy tow line stern to stern and told the captain of the other boat to place his engine in reverse. Captain Lockwood took the slack out of the line and slowly increased the Tiki's speed until he was pulling the scow backwards, he continued this for about 25 to 30 yards and all of a sudden black smoke started coming out of the other boat's stack. They began waiving their hands indicating their engine was running. He asked them were they heading back to Charleston, they said no, we need to fish some more. Captain Lockwood told them that they were crazy as #ell and what ever they did not to turn the engine off. We headed on our way to do some fishing of our own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 6:06 PM

That’s a cool story. Thanks for passing it along. Happy 4th.

Jul 3, 2019, 8:03 PM

You are very welcome.

i hope to catch a spottail or two myself next week...***

Jul 3, 2019, 6:04 PM

Re: i hope to catch a spottail or two myself next week...***

Jul 3, 2019, 6:16 PM

Aiming for some split tail tonight. Sorry... no pigs of wife 1.

Re: i hope to catch a spottail or two myself next week...***

Jul 3, 2019, 7:30 PM [ in reply to i hope to catch a spottail or two myself next week...*** ]

Cashing in on the picture hanging for Mrs. Spud I see. Good Luck!

Jul 3, 2019, 6:11 PM

Hope you threw the Red back. Not good eating that big, but we need them to breed breed breed.

Jul 3, 2019, 7:37 PM

You are correct, Momma baked a big channel bass one time and it was as rank as Limburger cheese.

Jul 3, 2019, 8:09 PM

Well its oversized for one, so it definitely should have been released. But as far as not good eating, you guys are crazy! You have to clean all the red meat off and any fat. After that, they are as good as a 15" or 23" all day. So either someone doesn't know how to prep them or how to cook them. I've eaten thousand of them and they are always terrific. Hard to beat blackened redfish!

Jul 4, 2019, 7:53 AM

I’ll agree redfish can be decent if cleaned properly, but hard to beat blackened redfish? That might be pushing it a little. I have a buddy who is the same way with nasty amberjack; he argues once you remove the worms it’s the best fish ever.

Grouper, cobia, sheepshead, flounder, bsb, even whiting is a much better tasting. I know I left out a bunch.

Jul 4, 2019, 8:07 AM

I'd add trout (spotted weakfish) and pompano.

Jul 3, 2019, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Caught these offshore today. ]

Limburger cheese is good stuff, actually the best - if you actually like cheese. Reminds me of a girl friend of mine.... But I prefer a good striped bass (from off shore, that is.)

Jul 3, 2019, 6:13 PM

Good job! Awesome haul!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 8:03 PM

Yes we threw it back. Cried as we did, but felt good she's gonna make more little ones. And yes, we just got done eating them and they were so tasty. Some butter and seasoning salt and awesome fish.

Also, thanks for that great story. I have fished all over the world and have heard so many good stories of fishermen stopping what they do to help others. But last night we were watching a turtle nest and my wife saw a family digging in the nest. We were livid and called the authorities. I was besides myself. How can we have so many people willing to do good stuff like your story, and have so many stupid jerks willing to mess with a turtles best.

But tomorrow is the 4th and it's a great day to be a Tiger.

Still remember my grandfather taking me fishing for

Jul 3, 2019, 9:59 PM

black sea bass when I was five. Caught a whole laundry basket full. What a great day.

Sure wish we could do it again.

Jul 3, 2019, 10:31 PM

Those are pretty nice looking. Let me know what time dinner will be! Lol what are those grey fish? Snapper?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2019, 6:32 AM

Black Sea Bass

Black sea bass are soooo good

Sep 11, 2023, 6:13 PM

Also a lot of fun to catch. Non-stop action once you get into them.

Jul 4, 2019, 7:57 AM

Take a good sharp knife, soy sauce, few limes and some salt and pepper. Fresh caught bsb sashimi is delicious. Clean it after you cool it down on ice it’s an easy offshore treat

Jul 4, 2019, 9:35 AM

thanks. We'll try that.

Jul 4, 2019, 2:25 PM

Remember don’t use your bait knife

Jul 4, 2019, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Caught these offshore today. ]

thanks. We'll try that.

Jul 4, 2019, 10:53 AM

What'd you catch that guy holding the fish with? I generally troll bud light or a couple of Hustler magazines to get those.

I chop 'em up and use them for crab bait when I catch them. Not good for much else but fun to see them flopping around on the deck. They whine a lot when caught be a quick club to the head generally shuts them up.

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic