Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone explain our punting woes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Can someone explain our punting woes?

Jan 7, 2019, 10:55 AM

I'm not sure if anyone here has punted in high school / college and can offer some expertise but I was curious as to how we end up with so many short punts. Spiers has worked out to an average of about 40 yards per kick which is surprising to me after what I have seen, but I have also noticed he gets a lot of that yardage from roll after it hits the ground. In fact, most of his best kicks are the "rugby" type.

I just don’t understand how someone can practice punting for years on end, and yet it is a rarity to get a decent punt over 35 yards. Is punting harder than I think it is?

Regardless, I hope he kicks well tonight as we will likely need to flip the field a couple of times.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grab a ball..go outside..and try to punt

Jan 7, 2019, 11:01 AM

Will give you some perspective.

I have a buddy who was furious when clemson missed the tying field goal in the merriweather loss to Scar.

He was ranting and raving how easy it is to kick a FG from inside the 20. I bet him $50 he couldn't hit a FG from the 10 yard line..
10 tries later I was $50 richer

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Can someone explain our punting woes?

Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 AM

I think his main issue is either with his drop placement or drop timing.

Spiers has very strong leg but if you watch closely, a lot of the kicks that are not very good don't hit the right spot on his foot.

If his leg swings the same way every time. which I'm assuming it does, then the problem is the location or timing of him dropping the ball to kick it.

I believe that's why he will hit a 50 yarder with no return once every few games and then the rest are scattered between 30 and 40 yards most of the time.

Another theory could be that he watches the rush coming and that causes a lot of mishit punts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2019, 11:32 AM

Punting for some is a God given talent and for others it is not. For a good punt you must have the following:

1. A very good crisp snap
2. The punter must focus on receiving the snap and turning the ball laces up
3. The punter then begins his forward motion (normally two steps) coordinating the drop of the ball to
contact the foot at the right angle at the proper time to insure maximum force being delivered by the
foot, leg and body
4. The punter must follow through on the kick (See Ray Guy)
5. If any of the above are not done properly you get a bad punt

To sum it all up everyone is not cut out to be a punter, maybe Spires is the best we have, but help is on the way from IMG!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's certainly

Jan 7, 2019, 11:39 AM

Deflating...at times...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2019, 11:42 AM

W I L L S P I E R S

Nice kid, is an All Star punter at practice but in games, just can't get it done. It is what it is. Things are looking much better this fall.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jan 7, 2019, 11:47 AM

Bright side, do dropped snaps. No punts blocked. No unauthorized runs. Ha.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic