Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can Travis surpass cj
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Can Travis surpass cj

Feb 23, 2019, 6:15 PM

In terms of their legacy at Clemson. If Travis stays after next season he will own every record at rb in school history. I know cj was a return man also.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe...

Feb 23, 2019, 6:39 PM

But I’m almost certain he won’t return for his senior year. CJ did. He earned a place in the hearts of fans for that move. I remember the North stands chanting CJ and then the south chanting Spiller his senior season. He was relentless.

Re: Maybe...

Feb 23, 2019, 9:08 PM

You may be right, but he is not a prototypical NFL back. I think that probably he could profit from another year in a D-1 program and especially a D-1 weight room. Travis is only 200 lbs, which is small by NFL standards. I'm no expert, but I think Travis might profit from another year at Clemson, and another year in a top collegiate weight room.

nah... he needs what any NFL RB needs

Feb 23, 2019, 9:28 PM

a coach that will play to his strengths and an effective OLine for those strengths... his listed weight may be 200 but he played closer to 210 this year. He needs to determine his best weight and not just weight because we saw what happens with just weight with Feaster this year... if ETN produces next year like this past year, he will be ready for the NFL...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

etn 15 LB heavier than Gallman out of HS

Feb 24, 2019, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Maybe... ]

he'll be 220 by NFL time. He dropped a little weight this year to get quicker and it worked

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe...

Feb 24, 2019, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Maybe... ]

It should've just been C in the south stands and J in the north stands . Simplicity is your friend .
I handed out flyers but nobody seemed to want to change .
Still a little triggered by all the silly remarks other fans made about my homemade tshirt addressing this matter .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Missed it. What T-shirt ?***

Feb 24, 2019, 10:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Not in total yards but it many categories it's not a contest

Feb 23, 2019, 6:46 PM

CJ had no blockers, quarterback in the same class as Trevor and nothing of a passing game to take the heat off him.

That's why I say players from different generations and different styles of ball don't compare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not in total yards but it many categories it's not a contest

Feb 23, 2019, 9:09 PM

I agree.

Marlborocountycoot = dgcannon39 = Reggaeman = u5c coot loser

Feb 23, 2019, 11:30 PM

Re: Not in total yards but it many categories it's not a contest

Feb 24, 2019, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Not in total yards but it many categories it's not a contest ]

^This. ETN is on a better team and compliments the offense. Back in the days of CJ there was a year or two where he was most of the offense, and we probably would have a had several more losses without him.

As for comparing them as backs (because there is discussion of this in the thread) ETN might surpass CJ in rushing yards, but they are two different types of backs. ETN is a fast power back. He runs well between the tackles and outside, and can run through tackles. He's got moves, but he's not gonna break defenders ankles. CJ on the other hand was a more well rounded back with superior receiving skills. He didn't run between the tackles as well, but in space he was almost unstoppable. Add in his return capabilities and he was a vital part of the teams he was on.

Also, ETN will go to the NFL after next year, and will be very smart to do so. The life of most running backs in the NFL these days is short, and he doesn't need to risk a serious injury in college if he is draft eligible. Only way I think he would consider coming back is if his draft stock is low, which I doubt it will be.

Re: Can Travis surpass cj

Feb 23, 2019, 6:47 PM

CJ is my all time favorite and will always be that, he’s been an ambassador for the success you see now and he was a great RB and returner when our OL wasn’t very good compared to now.

ETN is an incredible RB and has the ability to break all the records and be the best RB we have ever had and deserves all the accolades he receives. I hope he gets a Heisman and even if he does CJ will still be 1st in my book because he committed to help build the program so we could have a ETN. Don’t get me wrong I love ETN and he’s one of my all time favorites already!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

^^^All this! nm***

Feb 23, 2019, 8:44 PM

Feb 23, 2019, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Can Travis surpass cj ]

ETN is incredible.

I think we are limited to selecting favorites from those...

Feb 23, 2019, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Can Travis surpass cj ]

who we've watched play. I'm not intending to cast negative comments about those who came and went before CJ but in my short 40 or so years of watching Clemson football CJ stands out as one of a kind. The only one I've seen that I believe I can classify with CJ is Trevor.

When I say 'Trevor has a long way to go,' you can believe I mean he must turn down a first round draft status and return for his senior year before he will share the space in my heart with CJ Spiller.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2019, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Can Travis surpass cj ]

I agree with you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 23, 2019, 8:42 PM

Nope he doesn’t get enough touches. He and Trevor should both have there names mentioned for Heisman consideration throughout the year it won’t happen though. ETN will share carries and Trevor will get taken out midway through the 3rd quarter in most if not all games. I could only imagine what ETN’s stats would be if he didn’t split carries. He would have broken National records.

Message was edited by: Clemson_country89®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2019, 9:18 PM

I agree with you, but think that the current trend at Clemson of rotating backs, keeping them fresh, and constantly running on "fresh legs," reduces the risk of injury and creates far more productivity in our running game. The pros aren't stupid----they know good running backs when the see them. We don't need to run them into the ground.

It's a bit more than not running them in the ground.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:58 AM

There's something special about your #1 running back being fresh late in the game when the other team's defenses are tired. While we always play the third and fourth deep on the bench if we ever get in a tight game you'll see Travis come in and embarrass our opponents.

Ultimately, that is our safety net and the main reason, imo, that we keep him health and fresh.

CJ and ETN are equal in speed and vision but CJ

Feb 23, 2019, 9:08 PM

could make a tackler miss him in a phone booth... CJ was the best college football player in 2009 and should have been the Heisman winner; proving to be a MUCH better football player on a lesser team than Mark Ingram... there absolutely was not a more dynamic, efficient and effective player on the college field that year...

unless ETN stays for his fourth year and wins the Heisman, he won't surpass CJ in my eyes... I LOVE ETN as a player and as a Clemson Man, but CJ is every bit the Clemson Man and for me, a better back and player because he was outstanding as a returner on kicks and punts...

Re: CJ and ETN are equal in speed and vision but CJ

Feb 23, 2019, 9:28 PM

Hey, great post. CJ didn't have the same level of supporting cast, but both guys were great players. Travis playing with a much better team, but with a touch more punch and power. Love both of them.

CJ and ETN are equal in speed ....

Feb 24, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to CJ and ETN are equal in speed and vision but CJ ]

CJ was faster by at least a step. ETN has better vision and use of his blockers. We are splitting hairs here. Two of the best backs ALL-TIME in college football.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:35 AM

I would have loved to see CJ play on teams as talented as the teams Travis has been fortunate enough to play on.

CJ Spiller came here when...

Feb 24, 2019, 8:03 AM

any consideration of a National Championship trophy was a vague dream.

While I love those who play at Clemson now their decision to play at Clemson came with much greater comfort.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Feb 24, 2019, 7:44 AM

If he gets 1545 yds this year he will pass Raymond Preister for most yards by a Clemson back .

DB23

Feb 24, 2019, 8:43 PM

15 games with a sophomore Trevor, without injury, and I'd say it's a dead certainty he passes Priester.

It won't take 15, though.

legacy

Feb 24, 2019, 8:59 PM

hope so, but i would say
CJ
Dantzler
ETN

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive