Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,403

Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial

Mar 26, 2018, 8:33 PM

Have any of you visited the American Cemetery near Cambridge, England? It is a beautiful setting for the more than 3,800 heroes interred there. The grounds are immaculate, just as they should be for those men and women who paid the supreme sacrifice. As one casts an eye to the North on a clear day, one can see the tower atop the cathedral at Ely, the tower keeping watch on the fallen heroes. On my visits, my first view as I enter commands a salute and a heart-felt "Thank You". I have never read the complete list of those interred there but as far as I have been able to determine, there is no one that I knew personally.

My last vis1t was in 2002 and one of the staff told us the most recent burial had occurred only two days earlier. The pilot of a fighter plane had ben shot down and had crashed into the English Channel during WW2. The plane and pilot had just been located and recovered a short time earlier, almost 60 years after the crash.

I will be returning to England in July and once again I will make a special trip to the Cambridge Cemetery. If any of you go to England, I would encourage you to visit this Cemetery.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial

Mar 27, 2018, 8:07 AM

Joe21 , it sounds magnificent . If I ever visit Cambridge it would be an honor to walk through and see it for myself . Thanks for the tip !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial

Mar 27, 2018, 8:19 AM

Went there in 2014- beautiful

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree very beautiful

Mar 27, 2018, 8:37 AM

Went there in 1962 between my sophomore and junior years at Clemson. Didn't realize you could see the Ely cathedral from there. We also made a visit to the cathedral at a later time. After we moved to Colorado about 10 years ago a woman at church had been born in East Anglia and had been about 5-9 during the war. She remembers the nights of the bombers coming over and keeping her awake. There were no worthwhile targets in the area, but sometimes a plane would drop it load of bombs to get rid of the weight.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,403
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic