Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is where we are in basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Here is where we are in basketball

Mar 13, 2019, 11:16 PM

our coach will be entering his 10th year off a highly disappointing year with a team that will be picked dead last in the league. Folks, that is not a tenable position. A change will be inevitable. A 10th year coach with 2 NCAA appearances cannot survive that. That's where we are. So, why delay what is an almost preordained certainty?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is where we are in basketball

Mar 13, 2019, 11:24 PM

Where we are … well yeah afraid so ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2019, 11:26 PM

Bc our AD screwed up and gave a big raise and buyout to a coach no other school wanted after a sweet 16 run. Does Anyone think BB deserves to be paid more than Coach V or either O Coordinator? Nice, respectable guy, but way overpaid for a decade of slightly above average results. Good gig if u can get it.

His buyout is 850K

Mar 13, 2019, 11:28 PM

That's peanuts in the second highest revenue generating sport, by far

Brad is 9th in the ACC in salary.

Mar 13, 2019, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Here is where we are in basketball ]

It amazes me how many people here continue to believe that he’s payed a lot of money. Compared to most of the rest of the ACC, he isn’t.

Comparing his salary to our football defensive coordinator’s salary is ridiculous. The fact that you think an assistant football coach should make more than the head basketball coach sums up our issue at Clemson in an nutshell. Talk about priorities being out of whack!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Brad is 9th in the ACC in salary.

Mar 14, 2019, 12:46 AM

Priorities are out of whack?! We’ve won 2 out of 3 national titles. 10 years ago we were losing to Wake Forest in football, had average facilities/coaching/recruiting. If you don’t think leadership matters, put the two major sport head coaches side by side and notice the trajectory. Dollars follow vision and results as they should. If you don’t understand that, then you’re either (1) Brad Brownell himself, (2) related to him, (3) on his staff, (4) or a player. Give up the jealousy man. It’s unbecoming. Hire a coach that wins something that matters and I’ll bet the house that the dollars will follow. If we start next year predicted to be near dead last in conference, then Brad Brownell will once again be overpaid as the 9th highest salary in the conference.

Of course leadership matters, but

Mar 14, 2019, 2:55 PM

expecting our basketball coaches to overcome subpar funding for the basketball program is ludicrous. The pathetic way we view and support basketball at Clemson will never result in a consistently successful basketball program.

You're expecting the coach to somehow prove that he deserves more funding, but that's backwards. Our coaches should be given every resource and opportunity needed to be successful, and then - and only then - can that coach be fairly evaluated for the job he is doing.

LOL at "dollars follow vision." Do you seriously think our problem is that Brad doesn't have a vision and hasn't sold the administration on it? LMAO!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Of course leadership matters, but

Mar 14, 2019, 4:23 PM

“LOL at "dollars follow vision."”

I said, “dollars follow vision AND RESULTS.” You left out results. It’s clear you don’t think BB can produce results without every resource available. Welcome to leadership. There will never be enough resources.

Of course, Rick Barnes had fewer resources than BB and he went to the NCAA 3 out of 4 years. Some leaders have the ability to rise above.

BB does deserve credit for this...he doesn’t pay to play, which obviously puts him at a disadvantage. If those are the resources he needs, I’d rather be mediocre.

Re: Brad is 9th in the ACC in salary.

Mar 14, 2019, 2:56 AM [ in reply to Brad is 9th in the ACC in salary. ]

So we’re going into year 10 with 1 NCAA appearance with BB players. How many years before you think we need a coaching change, Judge?

I'm not opposed to a change now.

Mar 14, 2019, 2:57 PM

But I have little confidence that the next guy will do any better, and he is likely to do worse. We MUST support the program better. Continuing to blame the coach, when the main issue is at the administrative/funding level, is a recipe for disaster.

If Clemson is serious about being a basketball school, and stops worrying that it will compromise football somehow, and is thus willing to go out and get a proven head coach who has recruited well and won big at the major college basketball level, while also having a track record for integrity, graduating his players, and representing his school well, great! But do you honestly think Clemson will go after such a coach?

Tough game, Brad.

Mar 14, 2019, 4:54 AM [ in reply to Brad is 9th in the ACC in salary. ]

And forget the comparisons.

Bottom line is $2.5M is a hell of a lot of money for 9 years of mediocre results.

And I actually really like you, Brad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think those that support Brownell are dwindling. Unless something drastic changes by next season, I think he’ll be preparing to exit. Not sure that a sweet 16 appearance is enough to retain his services for his time here. Could be wrong though...I’m just gonna sit back and watch.

10-12 wins next year max

Mar 13, 2019, 11:33 PM

league schedule goes to 20 games. He won't survive that.

Clemson isn't going to pay a BB coach an extra 4 million to

Mar 14, 2019, 12:32 AM

leave 12 months earlier than scheduled, you KNOW this

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doing basketball business as usual, no.

Mar 14, 2019, 9:11 AM

Clemson finally going all in on basketball, yes. Are we finally willing to push our chips in on the sport? You could possibly negotiate a better departure scenario with an admin position in the offing. You have to hire, finally, a proven head coach at the major conference level. We have never in our history done that.

Barnes was close. Providence was a decent Big East team

Mar 14, 2019, 9:59 AM

And he's the best coach we've ever had***

Mar 14, 2019, 2:30 PM

I am open to a coaching change if this is the case.

Mar 14, 2019, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Clemson doing basketball business as usual, no. ]

But we must be really serious about basketball, not just paying lip service as in the past. We have to get past this mentality that we're a football school and that being passionate about basketball somehow compromises that.

/\ I agree.

He will probably be back, but just delaying the invedible.

Next year looks meek and the buyout is so affordable. Might as well be proactive now and see if we can get a bigger fish...

Alford and Motta will be coaching somewhere

Mar 13, 2019, 11:31 PM

why not here?

Steve Alford would be a great fit at Clemson.

Mar 14, 2019, 3:02 PM

Personality, style of play, Christian, etc. And he's been successful everywhere he's been.

Could not agree more. This is no longer about

Mar 13, 2019, 11:31 PM

Coach Brownell, it's not personal; it's about Clemson basketball and what's best for the program. Even with Brownell, it's almost a total rebuild going forweard. As you point out, when it's year 10 and you have a disappointing season, and fully expect next season to be even worse ... what's the point in continuing down that road another day? Without a change, there is no reason whatsoever to expect anything better than a consistent bubble team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

His time here has simply run its course

Mar 13, 2019, 11:53 PM

my hope is that he's honest with himself, realizes that, and moves on to another job. He'd get one. Best for all parties. Next year would be torturous for him, and I like him. Dont want to see that. It's just time

now THAT I agree with***

Mar 14, 2019, 12:33 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2019, 11:49 PM

:His poor coaching decisions lost the first game against NC State not the missed FT. You can't lose an 18 point lead in the 1st half. Can't blame the refs in this one like he did. Own up to it.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic