Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Boston College game tips
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Boston College game tips

Jul 18, 2012, 11:27 PM

Booked my flight tonight for the BC game. This may be my one and only trip to boston ever so I would like to kindly ask for input from those that have been before regarding hotels and what to do. Thanks in advance, my fellow Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boston College game tips

Jul 19, 2012, 12:00 AM

1. Take the train to the game. Allow for plenty of time coming and going.
2. Stay at a hotel in Boston that is centrally located so you can walk to alot of places. We stayed near the beautiful library. Don't stay in Cambridge.
3. Eat at Legal Seafood - at least once.
4. If you like Italian food, eat in the area where there is alot of activity, outdoor cafes and delicious food.
(Can't remember the name of the area. Just ask). MAKE RESERVATIONS if at all possible.
5. Wear orange all the time. This away game is so much fun and CU fans will be everywhere.
6. You'll definitely want to go back!

Jul 19, 2012, 3:18 AM

Definitely agree with #s 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6! To enhance, #4 the area is the North End. Eat at Regina Pizzeria and thank me later.

As for #2, I stayed in Cambridge. Nice area, decently close to train stations and easy access into downtown Boston. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott, right on the Charles River. Just a walk across the BU Bridge puts you right on the Green Line, which takes you straight out to BC. And you're in the heart of Fenway area.

Definitely visit Fenway Park. Eat at Legal Seafoods. Have some clam chowder (chowdah to the locals). Visit the North End for the Italian restaurants, Old North Church, etc. Boston Common and Boston Public Garden. Have a beer at Cheer's!

The Barking Crab is WAY better than Legal Seafood***

Jul 19, 2012, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Boston College game tips ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 19, 2012, 1:16 AM

Been 3 times to each game at BC ...

1) North End is italian section with tons of great restaurants
2) walk freedom trail if you like history
3) many great colleges to tour
4) if you plan to eat before game at BC ... get there early as they can't handle the fans in the few restaurants
5) Tour fenway if you can
6) You will want to go back! Now my favorite road trip ... game atmosphere isn't great, as they limit tailgating, especially after the game, but I love the city!

Have a great time and Go Tigers!!!

Jul 19, 2012, 5:50 AM

One other very important point: if you take the train to the game, buy the return ticket BEFORE going to the game. There will be a huge mass of people rushing the trains after the game. The bottleneck is getting the ticket, not so much getting on the train.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't miss the Duck Ride. It's fun and gives you a good

Jul 19, 2012, 7:15 AM

tour. Also, the Trolly Ride goes to all the tourists sites and you can get on and off as much as you want. Have fun!

Message was edited by: tigergirl78®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you mean Duck Ride??

Jul 19, 2012, 8:07 AM

I dont want to ride anything associated with Duke. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I took my then 10 year old daughter in 2010 and

Jul 19, 2012, 7:55 AM

it was an incredible trip. I had been there on business a couple of times before. We stayed near MIT in Cambridge, and had no problems getting around. I suggest:
1) Don't get a rental car the MBTA is great.
2) Get the MBTA pass and ride the ferries (kids are free).
3) Take the train to the game (covered in pass).
4) Walk the Freedom Trail and tour the cemeteries.
5) We did a ghost walk on Halloween, it won't be Halloween but it was fun.
6) Wear orange every day, you'll see lots of Tigers.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

You've received several good recommendations....

Jul 19, 2012, 9:05 AM

and I would reintrate the MBTA, the Fenway Park tour, and the Freedom Trail.

As for accomodations, we generally stay in and around Copley Square (usually the Marriott). It's a nice place, centrally located, with restaurants and train stations nearby.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 19, 2012, 10:07 AM

On Hanover Street in the North End are two great pastry shops -- Mike's and Modern. Be sure to try the canolis --they are awesome!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks so much!

Jul 19, 2012, 7:45 PM

I knew my Tiger brothers and sisters would come through! Go Tigers!

Jul 19, 2012, 10:37 PM

As a Boston native I would recommend a lot of what has been said, but also some other things.

Italian
As others have said, the North End is a must. I'd recommend going to Regina's Pizza at least once, but in terms of a sit-down restaurant, you really can't go wrong. Just walk into some random hole-in-the-wall, and you'll likely have an incredible Italian meal. Be forewarned: regardless of the restaurant you go to in the North End, the tab is going to be big. If you're planning on meeting up with friends for a bash, the North End is not really the place...I'll point out some possibilities later in the post though.

It's also best to go to the North End with just your wife and family so you can walk around aimlessly in the streets. It's one of the most unique, beautiful neighborhoods in the nation (and one of the densest, averaging about 65,000 people per square mile--comparatively, the most dense neighborhood in Atlanta has ~15,000 people per square mile). The streets are tiny and invite you to walk in the middle of them. There's small, beautiful churches tucked away, and overall the neighborhood is a visual pleasure.

Seafood
Legal Seafoods is a great place, as others have mentioned. However one place that isn't as popular with out of towners--but may be better--is the Chart House house on Long Wharf. If you're going to the Legal's near the aquarium, it's a 5-second walk further down the wharf. Regardless of whether you go to Legal's or Chart House, the clam chowder is a must.

Neither Legal's or Chart House are unique to Boston, but both are great. I'd also recommend the country's oldest restaurant: The Union Oyster House. The booths are uncomfortable, but it oozes history. France's King Louis Phillipe lived in exile on the second floor for four years in the 1800s! America's first bar, the Bell in Hand, is right next door too.

Someone mentioned the Barking Crab before, and they're 100% spot on. It's a great place, with great food. It's also a great place to go with all your friends...it's located on the edge of the financial district on the South Boston Waterfront.

America's Walking City
Boston is known by this name for good reason. If you're near the center of the city, you can walk just about anywhere. The center of the city is Boston Common/Public Gardens, which is surrounded by Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the Theater District, Downtown Crossing, and the Financial District. All are beautiful and worth checking out, but you need to walk through Beacon Hill. It's another place to "get lost in" as the tight, cobblestone streets and beautiful brick mansions provide the perfect historical setting. After that, take a walk down the Commonwealth Avenue Mall and Newbury Street (for shopping).

I just checked the schedule, and the Sox will be out of town that weekend which kind of stinks, but at least you'll be able to walk around the stadium and surrounding neighborhoods--along with ride the T--without wanting to kill yourself.

It's Gameday, Baby!!
In Tiger Town, tailgates are everywhere, and the bars are great all over. That's not the case for BC. It's located in an ultra-posh area (Chestnut Hill), on the border of two ultra-posh cities (Brookline & Newton). Tailgating is not welcome in most areas. Tailgating is much better in a rural area like Clemson anyway, so take advantage of being in the city and go to a great bar!

There are some good bars in Cleveland Circle, but I wouldn't recommend going there. Due to the short-supply of tailgating, people crowd these bars like crazy...and plus they're really not all that great. Round up some fellow Tigers for the pre-game and follow my advice:

Take the Green Line B-train (this is what you'll be taking to the stadium anyway). After the Packard's Corner Station, look out the left side of the train and wave at Tmac's old apartment! The next stop is Harvard Ave, which is where you should get off. Follow Harvard Ave into Allston Village (the side with the McDonald's & Kelly's) and walk a block until you get to the corner of Harvard and Brighton. There are three options here: Tavern in the Square, Big City, and Sunset.

Sunset is my favorite, but not necessarily the best for watching sports (assuming you want to watch GameDay or other games if Clemson-BC isn't a nooner). The TV's are somewhat limited, but it has around 500 beers for you to choose from (http://www.allstonsfinest.com/menus/sunsetgrill_beer_menu.pdf).

Tavern in the Square has a decent beer menu (http://taverninthesquare.com/sites/default/files/TAV-Menu-Allston_KM_3.30.pdf), but it also has more TVs than any place I've ever been to.

Big City is a mix of the two. It has a ton of TVs (though not as many as Tavern, and a lot of beers (though not as many as Sunset) (http://www.allstonsfinest.com/menus/bigcity_beer_menu.pdf)

All three have fantastic food...like really, really good. However if you'd prefer to not eat at the bar, stop at Padaria Brasil (a Brasilian bakery). There's a chance nobody will speak English there, so if you don't know Porutguese, just say "pão de queijo" (pronounced "pawm dee kay-jo") and "misto com ovo" ("meesto com ovo"), frango, and pick up a carton of Goiaba (guava) juice. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

When it comes time for the game, stop at Blanchard's Liquors for a train-drink (don't drink this super-blatantly though), walk back down to the T, jump on the B train, and you're at the BC stop in about 10-15 minutes.

I apologize for babbling, but I love my town and did my best to keep this as short as I could haha.

^^^ Yeah, what he said***

Jul 19, 2012, 10:40 PM

Jul 19, 2012, 10:43 PM

Also for great, cheap food and tall beers, hit up the Pour House on Boylston Street in Back Bay.

Also, don't take the Sam Adams brewery tour...go down to the South Boston Waterfront and take the Harpoon Brewery tour instead. The beer is better, and you get to drink for free!! It's really good.

I didn't mention anything about Fenway in my post because I knew I was rambling, but if you'd like me to add that, let me know haha.

Jul 19, 2012, 10:45 PM

Also, go Tigers!

This will be my third trip - tips

Jul 19, 2012, 11:01 PM

* Stay in Back Bay
* Wear your orange and paws - you'll see a lot of them
* Take the T (subway) everywhere, including the game (but take a cab back or walk a couple of stops to an uncrowded T station)
* Great tours/places to visit:
1) Sam Adams Brewery (also on the T)
2) Little Italy/Paul Revere walking tour (of course eat while you are there!)
3) Mike's Bakery while you are in Little Italy - best Boston Cream Pie and Cannolis
4) Duck Tour is pretty good if you have time

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic