Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TV quality help.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,122

TV quality help.

Aug 17, 2018, 10:51 AM

Looking at 120 refresh rate vs 240 refresh rate. Appears to add about $1,000 to the cost. Is it worth it?

TIA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TV quality help.

Aug 17, 2018, 10:55 AM

I would say no.

Really hard for me to distinguish b/n those 2 rates.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would stick with 120, but

Aug 17, 2018, 1:53 PM

make sure it's to your size liking, 4K (b/c the prices have come down so much), it's quality brand (Samsung & Vizio are my two favorites) and invest in good internet speed or cable TV.

I would rank the refresh rate only 5 in terms of importance. 6th, if you add in surround sound system.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2018, 11:07 AM

That is PER SECOND. If you think your eyeball can tell the difference, and it is worth it to you, then spend the money. It has never been worth it to me. I ask myself, how much does the action actually change in any broadcast in 1/120th of a second?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what Tvs are you looking at that have that kinda jump? usually just as couple hundred

Aug 17, 2018, 11:16 AM

bucks. there are probably other differences.

to answer your question..you can see the diff in the 2 tvs when you look at them in the store right next to each other.

but when you get home you will only see one.

I can tell you from experience, you get what. you pay for. I got the cheapest 240mhz tv I could from samsung. the app , media, and network capabilities on it suck ####...the amount of storage sucks #### also

$50 roku is more interactive than this $1300 tv. my $200 samsung phone is far more powerfull.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 17, 2018, 11:29 AM

Not at all, I have two Vizio tvs (43" and 55") that are the standard HD smart tvs and they give great pictures.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2018, 12:11 PM

It depends on your annual salary. If you're in the 7-digit range, don't waste your time evaluating the fine details and just go ahead and drop an extra grand so you know you've got the best money can buy. If you're in the 5-digit range, get the cheapest you can get away with and apply the savings to other stuff you need. If you're in the 6-digit range, solicit opinions from folks who hangout on Tigernet to help you figure out if it's worth the extra money or not.

Aug 17, 2018, 12:26 PM

I'm not a guru but this is what I know. You can tell the difference between 60 and 120 hertz but only during fast motion events like football. However many TVs have something called trumotion 120 or trumotion 240 that helped make up for the 60 hertz screens with mast motion. Currently I have a Toshiba 50 inch 4K TV with 60 hertz refresh rate and I see little to no motion blur. It would never be worth $1,000 to change my TV from 60 hertz to 120 hertz. I got my Toshiba on prime day for $300. Besides the two shattered ones the sent me the first two tries I think it's a decent TV. My only complaint would be that the screen could be a little brighter but it will do just fine.

I'm still considering buying a 55 inch tcl 5 series as the have great reviews and are 100-300 cheaper than competitors.

Aug 17, 2018, 12:28 PM

S*** I reread it and saw you were talking about 120 vs. 240. No to my knowledge basically can not tell the difference between the two. Stick with 120.

Big visual difference between 60/120 Mhz especially Sports.

Aug 17, 2018, 12:54 PM

Not so much of a difference between 120 & 240 Mhz though. If you want the 240 get it. But should have no buyer remorse by sticking the extra grand in your pocket either!!! You really can not lose in this situation. Now if I could just help others with their Pulse this easy, life would be GOOD!!!!!!!!

The only time hertz really makes a difference is in action

Aug 17, 2018, 1:55 PM

movie scenes and video games. The human eye has a very hard time seeing any benefit above 60hz.

i keep mine at 120hz, but I can tell a huge difference when I set my tv to 240hz

Aug 17, 2018, 2:21 PM

when watching most programming
don't notice a dif when watching sports.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,122
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic