Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reason # 24,762 to turn off location on your phone.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 592

Reason # 24,762 to turn off location on your phone.

Feb 20, 2019, 3:55 PM

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-campaign-tech-privacy-20190220-story.html

I turn on my GPS on my phone maybe once a week, only when absolutely needed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reason # 24,762 to turn off location on your phone.

Feb 20, 2019, 4:19 PM

let's all turn ours off so google maps has no idea where the traffic jams are, that will show us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Convenience and comfort vs privacy and liberty.***

Feb 21, 2019, 8:51 PM

Re: Convenience and comfort vs privacy and liberty.***

Feb 21, 2019, 9:01 PM

if you want privacy, staying off social media apps and games on your phone makes a lot more sense.

There are many ways to do that. You mention but a couple.***

Feb 22, 2019, 8:58 AM

they probably still know where you're at***

Feb 20, 2019, 4:20 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol, that doesn't do a thing

Feb 20, 2019, 4:38 PM

It's been proven even turning your phone off, you still get tracked. When you turn your phone on, it sends all the location data when it was off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They can track by cell towers or wifi

Feb 20, 2019, 4:48 PM

It's not accurate. They can't pinpoint where exactly you are/were. And it doesn't track with GPS off. I know that just form the battery saving. Battery lasts 1/3 longer, about, with it off. They can track you with WIFI too, if you hook into a public wifi, or even your home wifi. One thing those Google cars do is harvest mac addresses for wifi signals, so they know a pretty precise location based on a wifi network if you connect. Still, that only shows home, and other wifi you connect to away from home. Nothing in between.

Pull up your Google location history. If you have GPS on it's freaky what they know. What restaurant you ate lunch at, everywhere you stopped. People's houses. Businesses, etc. GPS is also how Google figures out realtime traffic.

And cities/DOT can track you with bluetooth also. That's how they calculate driving times you see on the signs btw. Always wondered how that worked. They get a bluetooth mac address from your phone as you drive under a sensor. When that same mac address passes a neighboring sensor they calculate your travel time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you can turn off Google location history

Feb 22, 2019, 3:38 PM

at the account level, right?

Yeah, that assumes that Google isn't still tracking it in the background, but that's no bigger leap of logic than assuming your phone isn't still tracking you just because you hit the GPS off button.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't really care, to be honest***

Feb 20, 2019, 4:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^this is where I'm at (figuratively, not GPS-ly)

Feb 22, 2019, 2:46 PM

I'm not going anywhere or doing anything that I'm trying to hide...not sure how this hurts me

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Between this and your tumblr pron, I'm starting to wonder

Feb 20, 2019, 4:51 PM

about you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My tumblr pron was straight legit. I don't like being

Feb 20, 2019, 5:04 PM

tracked/marketed any more than necessary. I am probably an internet marketers worst nightmare. Biggest reason I have GPS off is to save battery.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Replies: 12
| visibility 592
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic