Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Better or Worse in 2019: Virginia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Better or Worse in 2019: Virginia Tech

Jun 17, 2019, 11:48 AM

Since VT gave us that good game in the 2016 ACCG in Justin Fuente's 1st season, it seems like everything's gone in the wrong direction in Blacksburg. Fuente seemed the most poised of the 2015 coaching hires for immediate sustained success. Then everybody started leaving, including that promising Freshman QB Josh Jackson, and the Defense wholesale. In 2018, they lost to Old Dominion and finished with a losing record. This year, however, they do returning a starting QB, and every starter on Defense. Word from the VT side is that its the depth on Defense behind those starters that's a concern however. The schedule includes ODU, Rhode Island, and Furman in addition to a whole bunch of ACC Coastal teams. Perhaps the better question is not will VT win more than 6 games, but rather how many more wins this year does Fuente need to comfortably get off the hot seat?

2018 Record: 6-7 (4-4)
Returning Starters: 16 (all 11 on Defense + 5 on Offense)

2019 Schedule
August 31: @ Boston College* - Chestnut Hill, MA
September 7: Old Dominion - Blacksburg, VA
September 14: Furman - Blacksburg, VA
September 27: Duke* - Blacksburg, VA (Friday Night)
October 5: @ Miami* - Miami Gardens, FL
October 12: Rhode Island - Blacksburg, VA
October 19: North Carolina* - Blacksburg, VA
November 2: @ Notre Dame - South Bend, IN
November 9: Wake Forest* - Blacksburg, VA
November 16: @ Georgia Tech* - Atlanta, GA
November 23: Pittsburgh* - Blacksburg, VA
November 29: @ Virginia* - Charlottesville, VA (Friday Night)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Better or Worse in 2019: Virginia Tech

Jun 17, 2019, 11:58 AM

About even, if slightly better. 7-6 is my guess but finishing 7-5 before a bowl blowout. The start out stronger but "pull an NC State" and drop hard at the end of the season. This is a mix a depth and scheduling. The biggest issue still has not been addressed: Bud Foster.

W Boston College
W Old Dominion
W Furman
W Duke
L Miami
W Rhode Island
L North Carolina
L Notre Dame
W Wake Forest
W Georgia Tech
L Pittsburgh
L Virginia (yup, this is the year that streak ends)
L Bowl vs American or 6-6 B10 team

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they will be better

Jun 17, 2019, 12:27 PM

If they aren't better it's likely because there really are serious behind-the-scenes issues going on with Fuente and that coaching staff in which case this could be his last season in Blacksburg.

Reasons to expect improvement in 2019:

-They had a ton of injuries and attrition prior to the 2018 season
-They were really young last year, especially on defense
-They are right around the top 10 in returning production for 2019 and #1 in returning defensive production

2018 ended up being a bit of a reset year for the Hokies, but they now have the majority of those guys coming back.

Well, I voted for VPI&SU to close down the program...

Jun 17, 2019, 12:27 PM

after Dooley sneaked out under the covers of darkness after the 1986 seasons. He was HBC & AD, had worked himself up a nice little $1mil golden parachute, left VPI&SU for Wake Forest with Lane Stadium in hock and the Athletic Program pretty much insolvent. They seriously considered closing down the program or stepping down to Div 2ish.

I was rooting for the Virginia bank that held the note to foreclose on Lane, would have been something remarkable to remember that crap program by - an opportunity lost.

Fuente had to clean up a mess, long overdue. In Beamer's last years, even after he'd been removed from his responsibility in CAP, the university AD & President were readying to reinstate the football team's star running back, when VPI&SU students kicked Holmes out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginia-tech-running-back-michael-holmes-dismissed-from-school-by-student-committee/2013/07/09/28bc33b6-e8b4-11e2-a301-ea5a8116d211_story.html?utm_term=.0e79a4644a0c

The program Beamer built at VPI&SU ran rampant with ridiculous crap, CAP brought on by embarrassing act after embarrassing Athletic Dept/Football program act in the mid-90s, furthered even after they were taken to the doorstep of the highest court in the land with the likes of Marcus Vick & Brandon Ore - finally in 2008ish, Beamer was censured by the VPI&SU and removed from any further involvement in CAP as he had hidden information from VPI&SU - most would be shown the door.

The exodus in Fuentes program is Coach cleaning things up, I hope.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 12:35 PM

They win 8 easy, likely 9. 10 if they can keep the streak going against UVA. That schedule is way easy. Pitt and UNC will suck this year.

Jun 17, 2019, 1:29 PM

I too think 9 is a possibility. Probably more like 8-4 or 7-5. I agree about that schedule. Maybe 2 definite losses. The rest are all games Tech can compete and have a good chance of winning.

Jun 17, 2019, 11:06 PM

When VaTech first hired Justin Fuente, I thought it was a home run for them because of how he had Memphis rolling. But count me also in the group that says there must be some behind-the-scenes stuff that is chopping him down to size. No idea what it is but something clearly ain't right.

He probably has to win at least 8 games to keep his job.

Jun 18, 2019, 10:36 AM

I doubt he gets fired. * wins may be the number to get the Hokie faithful from gobbling loudly this coming offseason.

I do agree that something isn't right behind close doors. Too many transfers. A Hokie friend of mine says he hasn't ingratiated himself on the recruiting circuit with VA HS's. This has hurt his recruiting. UVA talent certainly isn't what it use to be.

Jun 18, 2019, 10:59 AM

I don't buy that completely (from Va)... more that his name does not have the same weight as Beamer and he does not target Tidewater as much (but that was just as much as Beamer finding an under-recruited area). Virginia (like North Carolina) tends to export its top talent (Such as Clelin Ferrell) which leads me to the next issues: James Franklin (Penn State) has been poaching northern Virginia fairly well. The last time I check (a while - like 2 years ago) it seems that much of their skill positions were Virginia boys.

Jun 18, 2019, 12:52 PM

:) I actually predicted VT would beat a favored FSU last year, because I thought VT was good and Fuentes was a really good coach. I did not realize how horrific FSU was though. I still think Fuentes is a good coach, but he failed last year.

That being said, I don't see a lot of improvement for VT this year. More of the same old team with too many weaknesses. They would have to show me something before getting on their bandwagon.

Jun 18, 2019, 2:03 PM

It's time for Fuentes' recruits to step up. I believe VT can win 8 this season and with a couple breaks even 9. If Fuentes is the coach he's supposed to be, they should be pushing Miami for the ACC Coastal title in 2020.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic