Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Most Deserving" or "Best" - that's the question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

"Most Deserving" or "Best" - that's the question

Dec 10, 2018, 7:38 PM

So which is it for the CFP champion? If it is "most deserving" then yes, you have to go by some set of criteria (conf champ, W/L, SoS, etc). Or, if you go by "best" then you need a committee's eyeballs and subjective determination. Eyeballs had to put in Bama last year and the eyeballs were clearly seeing 20/20.

Right now, for the most part, we use the "best" system. You can't use both. I agree with Herbie.. this is the first time the committee flinched. Don't agree? Would you bet your hard earned money on OU if they played UGA? Not me, and I don't like UGA.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That 20 point loss to an LSU team with NO

Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 PM

offense means something. The beat, the eye test,just doesn't include one little game against Bama , it includes the WHOLE season.

WATCH THIS and learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cch7eL6PF9w

I wish you and I could bet money***

Dec 10, 2018, 7:49 PM

Once again, it's whether you think they'll beat OU.

Dec 10, 2018, 8:14 PM

It's hat UGA did over the course of their season,not just playing Bama close.

You wouldn't have any $$ after the LSU-UGA

Dec 11, 2018, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I wish you and I could bet money*** ]

game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: "Most Deserving" or "Best" - that's the question

Dec 10, 2018, 8:10 PM

Heard someone on ESPN say this. No they do not have the best 4 teams in the country in the playoffs but they absolutely got it right. Putting a UGA team that lost by 20 to LSU and went 1-2 in their big games didn't deserve it. An Ohio State that lost by 30 to Purdue is a loss you can't get over because none of the 5 teams in front of you would've lost to Purdue by 30. They put in 4 teams that beat every team they played throughout the year OU needing 1 rematch to do so but they did. I think they got the playoffs right this time too as UGA had one of the worst out of conference schedules possible, Austin Peay, UMass, and Middle Tennessee State don't help the resume as much as it hurts or is just nullified.

I would tell that guy to his face, they do have the 4 best

Dec 11, 2018, 8:55 AM

Teams.

No way you can convince me uga is head over heels better than OSU or OU..

I'd say all 3 were a wash

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 10, 2018, 8:13 PM

I think it has to be a bit of both. That said, deserving should trump "best". In my opinion, best too suggestive.

"Best" is a fool's errand

Dec 10, 2018, 8:14 PM

It's the reason every other sport on earth actually settles it on the field rather than just choosing who looks best near the end and crowning them champs.

UGA at their best clearly looked like they could be one of the four top teams. But are they really if they managed a 20 point fairly noncompetitive loss to LSU? I don't know, and nor do you. And that's why the "Best" standard for choosing teams is foolishness.

You prove you are best by winning when it matters, and that includes not blowing a 2 TD lead in your conference championship game. At the end of the day, even the "Best" teams have to win their games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Best" is a fool's errand

Dec 11, 2018, 10:27 AM

Ed Zachery

DB23

First of all the committee doesn’t exist to figure out who the fourth best team is.

Dec 10, 2018, 8:15 PM

Their job is to put four teams in place to determine who the best team is. Since it is already clear that Georgia is not the best team then why waste time putting them in the playoffs? A flinch? Not hardly. It’s just plain good common sense not to be redundant and put a two loss team in over Oklahoma. The playoff system works and has been working ever since it was put in place. Those who have missed the playoff only have themselves to blame for LOSING.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 9:02 PM

I don't care for either team. UGA vs OU head to head is too close to call for me. OU at #4 was the right call given the second UGA loss. Perhaps, not the case had UGA beaten Bama.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 10, 2018, 9:04 PM

I think it's a matter of semantics. IMO the original idea for the playoff is to put the 4 teams that will best result in a consensus "champion".

The committee has done a pretty good job in the past, except for last year, where their selection ended up with three teams that each had a loss to each other (Auburn beat Alabama and Georgia, Georgia beat Auburn the second time, then Alabama beat Georgia), and left out UCF, a team that went undefeated and beat Auburn (who beat both teams in the playoff). So it doesn't make sense to allow a "best" team that has already loss to one of the other "best" teams, because it just creates ambiguity.

The committee used the phrase "picking the four best teams" as justification for last year's selection, and it resulted in a mess. But if you pick the best four teams (that haven't already played each other), then the winner of the playoff results in a typical tournament "champion".

So the criteria is actually to select the 4 teams that best determines a champion, which gets mistranslated as the "4 best teams".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:

Dec 10, 2018, 9:06 PM

Who did you take in the UGa and LSU game? Doubt you took LSWho before the results where known and no way you expected LSU to destroy them.

Message was edited by: 89tiger

Dec 10, 2018, 9:13 PM

Do you think this years UGA team is better than last years team? Most people would say they are not as good. UGA barely got by OU last year and OU is just as good if not better than last year. OU would beat this UGA team.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can and have to use both. I agree with trying to get

Dec 10, 2018, 9:25 PM

the 4 best, but if one or more of the four best using the eye test have two losses some years or three losses in other years, they can’t be part of it.

Also, any team that is left out who has two or more losses and complains about it can’t be taken seriously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can and have to use both. I agree with trying to get

Dec 11, 2018, 8:03 AM

There should be zero possibility of a replay in the Natty. So the CFP got it right this year.
Two teams from the same conference should be incredibly rare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can and have to use both. I agree with trying to get

Dec 11, 2018, 8:49 AM

I bet it happens 5 out of the next 10 years.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:44 AM

The 6 best teams in the country right now imo are ..

(These top 3 can be in any order. I don't know who the best is)
Bama
Clemson
Gerogia

These are in order.
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Notre Dame

Dec 11, 2018, 9:41 AM

The controversy is created by people with microphones and an agenda, and sometimes that agenda is only to create controversy. The selection committee does not have an agenda. Hopefully they never will. I like Herbie, but he needs to shut his mouth. Otherwise, the committee might just start pushing back.

"Best" will always be subjective. Even hindsight isn't 20/20, because i believe GA was the 'best' team last year in spite of their choke in the second half and on second down in OT.

But to be considered the best, you have to prove it when it matters, which means we have just transitioned to "most deserving". We have also just removed GA from the conversation, both 2017 and 2018, because they have almost always failed to prove it when it matters.

You say the eyeballs had to put Bama in last year, and so i remind you that's because only 3 teams were deserving. Unless they were going to give Clemson a bye--which we clearly didn't deserve--the fourth team had to be selected by eyeball, because #4 hadn't earned the right to represent their conference. Bama didn't deserve to be there.

Your hindsight says that Bama 'deserved' the championship, and i would say they made the most of their second chance. Saban and staff made decisions, and Tua and his healthy team made plays against GA they didn't make in their loss to Auburn. Bama deserved the trophy, but that doesn't mean they deserved to be in the CFP in the first place.

100% should be most deserving

Dec 11, 2018, 11:16 AM

I don't like the term, "deserving", as it sounds a bit like "entitled", but "best" means almost nothing. It's incalculable. Unless there's a team who is #1 in every category, how can you truly determine the "best" team? Even then, what if you're the best in every category, but have a crap SOS?

With that said, in EVERY other sport, year after year, sometimes the "best" team slips up and falls. Think about the 14 years of absolute dominance by the Atlanta Braves, but they always seemed to choke and slip up. That's how sports work. People weren't whining about the "best" teams not being in the World Series, nor was there some sort of nebulous criteria to resurrect the so-called, "best" teams to give them a shot at the championship.

There needs to be set criteria, so we don't have all of this never-ending circular debate, and finally realize that sometimes, even the "best" teams fall - so be it.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic