Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, if Brad beart Gregg Marshall, then what?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

So, if Brad beart Gregg Marshall, then what?

Mar 21, 2019, 11:35 AM

Does that remove Marshall from the list of coaches “we shoulda hired instead” ... ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Beats” ?

Mar 21, 2019, 11:45 AM

Well, if Brad wins this game it does say something.

Not sure exactly what though.

Ive never been one of the Gregg Marshall disciples.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: “Beats” ?

Mar 21, 2019, 1:08 PM

If Brad beats Marshall it means we play Indiana Tuesday or Wed. That's a good thing, but that's pretty much it.

Re: “Beats” ?

Mar 21, 2019, 3:40 PM

Talk about pressure...You're playing Indiana and in the back of your mind, is the chance that Bobby is in the crowd sitting with an empty chair next to him...you hit a loooong 3 pointer and ZING!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, if Brad beart Gregg Marshall, then what?

Mar 21, 2019, 11:55 AM

Oh for sure. With one Tiger win at home we can then ignore the previous 7 straight NCAA tournament appearances by Marshall and definitively declare the coach that has been to 1 tournament during that same time as clearly the better hire!

no, what he has done at WSU in the shadow of Kansas

Mar 21, 2019, 11:57 AM

has been outstanding. He took a team with a history much like ours (only 7 tournament appearances in 42 years) and has gone to the NCAA 12 of 18 years and NIT 3 appearances. If I were DRAD, I would try to sneak in a private conversation some time while he is in town.

I misread web page the 12 appearances includes winthrop

Mar 21, 2019, 11:59 AM

nm

Re: no, what he has done at WSU in the shadow of Kansas

Mar 21, 2019, 12:11 PM [ in reply to no, what he has done at WSU in the shadow of Kansas ]

Greg Marshall grew up a huge Shamecock fan and was one those Clemson haters. I doubt we could pay him enough money to come.

I agree, but I would still try to have the conversation***

Mar 21, 2019, 12:13 PM

Mar 21, 2019, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: no, what he has done at WSU in the shadow of Kansas ]

We converted Monte Lee didn’t we......that will not be a problem with GM......Go Tigers!!!!

Mar 21, 2019, 12:56 PM [ in reply to no, what he has done at WSU in the shadow of Kansas ]

jgtiger said:

has been outstanding. He took a team with a history much like ours (only 7 tournament appearances in 42 years) and has gone to the NCAA 12 of 18 years and NIT 3 appearances. If I were DRAD, I would try to sneak in a private conversation some time while he is in town.

DRad does not want to see Clemson on probation by hiring shady characters like Marshall, plus he is a scumbag.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you keep saying this, but what is so shady?

Mar 21, 2019, 12:59 PM

Can you not get past that apparently he used to be a USUC fan? Is that all? From my research, his teams dont even appear to be on the radar of the NCAA for trouble.

Marshall makes a lot more than Brownell.

Mar 21, 2019, 2:25 PM [ in reply to no, what he has done at WSU in the shadow of Kansas ]

Marshall makes $3.5 million per year to coach at a school where he gets everything he wants from the administration, football isn't top dog, with very loose academic requirements for incoming players.

Brad makes $2.5 million per year to coach at a school where he gets nowhere close to what he wants from the administration, football is top dog, and higher academic standards for incoming players.

Honestly, why would Marshall come to Clemson?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Marshall makes a lot more than Brownell.

Mar 21, 2019, 3:15 PM

What does Brad want that the administration is denying?

Marshall makes $3.5 million per year to coach at a school where he gets everything he wants from the administration, football isn't top dog, with very loose academic requirements for incoming players.

Brad makes $2.5 million per year to coach at a school where he gets nowhere close to what he wants from the administration, football is top dog, and higher academic standards for incoming players.

Honestly, why would Marshall come to Clemson?

Mar 21, 2019, 3:30 PM

Have you been to John Paul Jones arena? Go there. Come back, and compare to LJ. I love LJ as being a mini titan, but there is a different scale to some other programs. Keep in mind UVA was building a 180m facility (2018 equivalent) 10 years ago while we were doing 70m refresh yesterday.

Have you been to a NC State game? THAT is fan support and they have not done squat since Danny Ford was coaching. My favorite fanbase atmosphere during the ACC Tourney (when the tigers are not playing) is the NC State game. Sure, the fans are trash but their support is real... and there really is no reason to cheer for State.

Mar 21, 2019, 3:49 PM

So Brownell has been asking for a whole new coliseum? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I haven't seen it printed anywhere. No, I haven't been to John Paul Jones arena.

I don't disagree that the fan support could be better either, but I was more just wondering what the administration is denying the basketball program right now.

FutureDoc said:

Have you been to John Paul Jones arena? Go there. Come back, and compare to LJ. I love LJ as being a mini titan, but there is a different scale to some other programs. Keep in mind UVA was building a 180m facility (2018 equivalent) 10 years ago while we were doing 70m refresh yesterday.

Have you been to a NC State game? THAT is fan support and they have not done squat since Danny Ford was coaching. My favorite fanbase atmosphere during the ACC Tourney (when the tigers are not playing) is the NC State game. Sure, the fans are trash but their support is real... and there really is no reason to cheer for State.

He wanted to upgrade our HS facilities to those of a

Mar 21, 2019, 4:06 PM

mid major and it took him a half a decade

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It took him 5 years to get a full sized court that he could

Mar 21, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Marshall makes a lot more than Brownell. ]

practice on without having to use Littlejohn's court?

Re: It took him 5 years to get a full sized court that he could

Mar 21, 2019, 3:55 PM

Ok, but now that he has that full size practice court, what is the administration denying him that he needs (other than the entirely new coliseum mentioned above)?

I am honestly not in favor of firing Brownell this year... I am really just trying to figure out if this budget issue that keeps being brought up on Tnet is a real issue. I don't really agree that simply looking at a total basketball expense column for each school is very helpful because it's quite likely that not every school places the same expenses in the same ledger account!

Good Lord guy, get a clue***

Mar 21, 2019, 4:09 PM

Re: Good Lord guy, get a clue***

Mar 21, 2019, 4:17 PM

That's what I'm trying to do here! And I still haven't heard what the administration is denying right now.

I agree with you that the renovation that was done 3 years ago probably should have been done 6 years ago, but it is done now and has been done for 3 years. It seems that DRad is much more willing to spend money now than previous ADs were, and that's a good thing. Help clue me in!

Here are a few things:

Mar 21, 2019, 11:17 PM

-Increased budget for assistant coaches to keep the good ones and replace weaker ones
-Increased support staff for social media, recruiting help, etc.
-Continued facility upgrades

We need to stop doing “just enough,” and instead do “more than enough.” Remember, we must be that much better than our peers to overcome our basketball history, reputation as a football school, etc.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Here are a few things:

Mar 22, 2019, 8:36 AM

Thanks, those are legitimate items that need to be budgeted for! Not necessarily expecting anyone to research and answer these questions for me - but that makes me wonder the following:

-How does our assistant coach salaries compare to other schools, and does Brownell recognize that he has weaker assistants that need to be replaced?
-What is the present support staff for basketball? It seems that football has an ever expanding support staff and does anyone know for certain that basketball has been handcuffed in this area?
-I also agree that facility upgrades are constant in the present sports environment and if you aren't prepared to upgrade something every year you are likely falling behind. Hopefully our current budget includes this - but again unfortunately I am not sure how Clemson accounts for upgrades as opposed to other schools to know how their upgrade schedule for basketball facilities compares to others.

Good discussion though - I appreciate the information.

-Increased budget for assistant coaches to keep the good ones and replace weaker ones
-Increased support staff for social media, recruiting help, etc.
-Continued facility upgrades

We need to stop doing “just enough,” and instead do “more than enough.” Remember, we must be that much better than our peers to overcome our basketball history, reputation as a football school, etc.

because if he wins consistently with an exciting style of

Mar 21, 2019, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Marshall makes a lot more than Brownell. ]

play, all the fairweather fans will climb back on the bandwagon and actually show up for games?

Re: because if he wins consistently with an exciting style of

Mar 21, 2019, 3:37 PM

Hey, who you calling...Oh wait...Carry on. My bad.

Exactly, and he is expected to do it consistently

Mar 21, 2019, 3:39 PM [ in reply to because if he wins consistently with an exciting style of ]

despite a shoestring budget and lackluster support for the program, simply because two previous coaches had a few good years here before bailing on us in insulting fashion. Although both of those coaches had less postseason success than Brownell did, and didn't give two craps about Clemson, they are held up as the standard he is supposed to emulate.

You can't make this stuff up!

Re: Exactly, and he is expected to do it consistently

Mar 21, 2019, 3:51 PM

Not trying to stoke a fire, but a real Question...How does Butler,Villanova,Marquette have the ability to make The Dance and be a top seed?

They don’t have football teams ... ?

Mar 21, 2019, 5:59 PM

They don’t play in the ACC ... ?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why don't you apply your support/ resource logic to

Mar 21, 2019, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Exactly, and he is expected to do it consistently ]

Barnes and OP? Why not?

How or why they left us is irrelevent. They built a winner. A winner that was defined by getting to the NCAAT consistently. They did it in 4 years, and 7 years.

Why does BB get this "support/resource" pass 9 years in? Not only that, you want to diminish what they did while giving him that pass.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Exactly, and he is expected to do it consistently ]

Shoestring budget, really? I guess I'm blind to the issues, but I really don't see that much lacking right now. What is missing? Do they need more basketballs, are the uniforms worn and tattered, is the locker room missing all of the benches/seats and the players sitting around on torn beanbags? I want to know what is missing so that I can join in with the outrage!

Mar 21, 2019, 11:02 PM

A TD, really? I assume this is from the "shoestring budget" crowd. I'm really not being insincere when I say that I could be persuaded to agree with your stance if there was real evidence that the basketball program is being held back financially right now. All I was asking is that some bit of evidence be provided other than "this is the large amount that other schools say they spend and this is the small amount that Clemson says they spend." There really is too many unknown factors to be able to compare expenditures among the schools by just looking at those totals.

Anyway, sorry about the sarcasm in the previous post, if that's what upset you.

Re: So, if Brad beart Gregg Marshall, then what?

Mar 21, 2019, 3:57 PM

Means he won a meaningless game.

would you rather him lose a meaningful game?***

Mar 21, 2019, 4:10 PM

Re: would you rather him lose a meaningful game?***

Mar 21, 2019, 4:19 PM

I would rather lose in the real tournament then win every NIT game.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic