Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Observations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Basketball Observations

Mar 27, 2019, 3:36 PM

These are some observations I have made this year concerning our basketball program. First of all, I realize that nothing that gets posted on this site is going to change anything. None of the posters including me have the power to decide who our coach is or will be.

I don’t know how much money gets spent on the program or how that number compares with other programs. I think Littlejohn is nice facility, but not having been in other schools’ arenas, I don’t know how it compares. I do know what Littlejohn looked like before the renovation and think it is much better now.

I really don’t care what the records were from other past coaches. They are gone, so that information is not important to me.

I’ve been to all but a couple of home games during the past two years, and I gave my tickets to someone for those games, so my seats were occupied. After the renovation, I spent the money to get Coliseum Club seats, so I have invested in the program both financially and in person by being there including the two NIT games. I’ve seen a lot of posts concerning the lack of money spent on the program. I would question what would more money be used for. If we can have a Special Assistant to the Head Coach, I would argue that we’re spending quite a lot. What is this position, and what does that person do?

I really have not seen that much player improvement from last year. One thing that concerns me is that Coach Brownell seems to stand on the side line and yell at the players all during the game. Do the players not know what to do? Do they not practice? Does Coach Brownell not go to practice? One would think that after several years under the same coach, the players would not require step-by-step instructions for every play. I thought the last Syracuse game was one of the best played games this season. The team looked like they had practiced and knew how to score against the zone. In so many other games, they seemed to just come down the court, and two would go to the corners and stand there. Pretty easy to guard someone who is standing still. The other three would stand around the three point circle, pass the ball until the clock ran down, and then force a bad shot. I heard an announcer several weeks ago say that a team takes on the personality of its coach. I think that is true here. A passive coach yields a passive team. They just don’t seem to play with a lot of energy most of the time.
Another thing is missed free throws. It seems to me that lots of time spent at the free throw line practicing shots might yield some dividends in games.

I think Coach Brownell is a good person. He runs a clean program. He graduates players. As far as I know, he’s not being investigated by the NCAA or the FBI. Is he a good basketball coach? Can he recruit? Does he make people want to come to games? Does he put an exciting product on the floor?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball Observations

Mar 27, 2019, 3:47 PM

I'm confused about your comment that Brad is a passive coach. It is at odds with your statement that he yells instructions at players all game.

I'm also not sure why you feel that we didn't shoot free throws well. We shot 73.2% on free throws this year. In ACC games this year, we shot 73.8%, good for 5th in the ACC. We shot 75.5% last year, and 73.1% the year before that.

For reference, Oliver Purnell's three NCAA Tournament teams at Clemson shot 62.3%, 68.8%, and 66.1%. Brad's coaching provided immediate dividends, as his first year in 2010-2011 our team shot 70.1% on free throws.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'm on the fence regarding Brad and hopefully you see

Mar 27, 2019, 3:52 PM

through our interactions I've put a lot of thought into this and it's not an emotional reaction. I really wonder why other than money Brad would want to continue at Clemson. Seriously...why? He needs more than he's ever going to get to be successful at Clemson. He's always going to be a distant second or even third fiddle. The fans don't love him. They don't hate him but they don't love him. A few years ago I made a job change after seven years and it was like a weight was lifted off of me. I think the same would happen for Brad and simply wish that for him. Life is so short and its obvious the fans aren't behind him and quite frankly if they weren't this year they probably never were.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that's a really great point.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:01 PM

Brad loves Clemson and really wants to be successful here, not just for his own ego and competitive drive, but because he genuinely loves Clemson. However, you make a great point about whether or not the fans are capable of getting behind him and really supporting the program.

There is certainly an argument for new blood, simply because some "basketball fatigue" has set in - especially after the many close losses we had this season. I can understand how a new coach can create some much-needed buzz, simply because he's someone new and different. However, to touch on your other point, if we haven't given Brad enough to be successful, what will make us give the next coach what he needs to be successful?

It's going to take a lot more than the recent facility improvements to get a great coach in here. Prospective coaches and their agents know that we don't spend much on basketball, and that a basketball coach has to compete with football and will usually lose. They know that our fans only support basketball when we're winning big several years in a row. Radakovich will have to do an amazing sales job, and provide significant assurances, to get a great coach to accept the position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

and that's the challenge

Mar 27, 2019, 4:04 PM

if you're willing to give a new coach more to be successful it better be a home run hire like a Thad Matta or you're better off giving more to Brad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100%.***

Mar 27, 2019, 4:07 PM

Re: and that's the challenge

Mar 28, 2019, 1:28 PM [ in reply to and that's the challenge ]

Giving brad more money will not win more games. You think brad is sandbagging to get more money? Nope. He is giving it all he has which is not enough.

Re: I think that's a really great point.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:41 PM [ in reply to I think that's a really great point. ]

Question for the Judge. How does Florida and Florida State do it, How is LSU able to do it in fb, baseball, and basketball? All without spending much if any more than we do? You can certainly include Oklahoma and maybe more so because they’re very competitive in golf and other sports as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like we now know how LSU does it, at least in basketball

Mar 28, 2019, 10:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2019, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Observations ]

He's passive in that he hardly ever questions the officials. He wastes timeouts at the end of games when he could use them to set up a play. I'd just like to see him show some emotion. When a player comes off the court, go to that players chair and coach him.

I don't care about other coaches records. Like I said, they're not here.

If the team makes 95% of their free throws, but your best shooter misses several at the end of the game that causes you to lose the game, then more practice is needed. How many free throws has Thomas missed? He almost always misses at least one out of the two.

You can quote every number in the book, but the fact remains: We are a mid level team. Some years better; some worse. Either we accept that and enjoy the games that we win or take a chance on somebody new and maybe win a few more. I don't know the answer. Maybe keep him and get better assistants. I'm just tired of losing close games.

So...Brad’s coaching led to better free throw percentages.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Observations ]

However...when players miss shots, we blame it all on the players and the coach can’t be held responsible.

Got it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So...Brad’s coaching led to better free throw percentages.

Mar 27, 2019, 6:01 PM

You never played.

Free throw shooting is pure technique, no variables other than the pressure you are capable of blocking out.

End of game shot? Hands in your face, drawing contact that you know won't be called, lots of other variables, including the indecision about whether or not Tnet thinks you are the one who should be taking the shot (JK).

Coaching vs self-taught.

You never played...

Mar 27, 2019, 6:29 PM

or had a coherent thought.

I find this interesting...

Mar 27, 2019, 6:51 PM

Rw43 vs Row86

Rw is Row without the "o" and 43 is half of 86. Both users signed up almost exactly 1 year apart.

Coincidence?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I find this interesting...

Mar 28, 2019, 2:25 PM

Coincidence? I. think. not !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I'd rather shoot 68% from the line and make the NCAAT

Mar 27, 2019, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Observations ]

than shoot 73% and miss it 7 of 8 years.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:54 PM

The recent FBI investigation barely scratches the surface of what's going on in college basketball by all accounts. Assuming Brownell runs a clean program, which I feel is a safe assumption, how would Clemson ever compete with those programs who are literally buying the best players through bribes and kickbacks to AAU coaches and other middlemen? It is like comparing athletes who use steroids against those who don't. Clemson being clean means we are automatically at a competitive disadvantage (notwithstanding the other hurdles to overcome), more than likely. So, how can anyone possibly evaluate Brownell on recruiting in such an environment? What players are available to him if he's not willing to break the rules to get them? This scandal should outrage college basketball fans more, but it feels like there are a lot of heads in the sand trying to avoid this tough conversation. And, a program's success is directly linked to the quality of the players it recruits more than any other factor. It is frustrating. I don't know how our AD can penalize a clean coach in this environment. And, an additional factor is the stark contrast between Brownell and Dabo -- against whom all of our other coaches are going to pale by comparison (except maybe for Butler).

Mar 28, 2019, 10:14 PM

^^^^ This 100%

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2019, 5:23 PM

I have posted this same observation today, so I will share it with you.
I too think Brad is a good person, runs a clean program, graduates players, is not under investigation, as far as I know, is both a good X and O's Coach, as well as usually having a good game plan for his opponent.
I can't say whether or not he makes attendance better, or not, or if he puts an exciting program on the floor, but I think his players play hard and they want to win as much as any team.
Now, where I think he is lacking is in recruiting. He can get "basketball players", however.
BUT HE CAN'T RECRUIT PLAYMAKERS", those players who can take the team on their shoulder, or dictate play, or find a way to deliver in crunch time.
Game in and game out, what I do not see is that Zion Williamson, Ja Morant(Murray St.), Aubrey Dawkins (UCF), Coby White from UNC, even Taco Fall to an extent.
If Murray St. and UCF can get these players(yes I know Aubrey is Johnny's son)why can't we.
I know, like a lot of us that we never really had a shot at Zion, but how do you let an in-state prospect like Morant slip thru your fingers without even a look.
And I also know there are a lot more out there, but for some reason, we can't seem to land even one!
Go Figure that one out, and you might win one or two of those close games we lost this season.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:32 AM

Some good points here. I also think Brownell yells too much. He needs to get the team more time with Milt Lowder. https://synergyperformancesc.com/who-we-are/our-team/milt-lowder/
This team played two incredible halves in a row. It was the Syracuse second half and the NCSU first half in the ACC Tournament. A Brownell team never looked better than those minutes. But they couldn't keep it up. And the two NCSU games defined the season. Win those two with just a spec of luck and that team was in the NCAA's.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic