Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bama Receivers....I just don't see it
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Bama Receivers....I just don't see it

Aug 6, 2019, 9:57 AM

They may be fast but they better be faster than the DB or they stand no chance. 4 first round draft picks...Really?

They are all an inch or 4 and 50 lbs shy of the average NFL guy. Ask McKinney (6' 1", 200 lbs) who he wants to line up against. Ross/Higgins or any of his four guys?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27327599/there-no-stopping-alabama-super-fast-receiving-corps

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Bama Receivers....I just don't see it

Aug 6, 2019, 9:59 AM

Jerry Jeudy is obviously the real deal.

Aug 6, 2019, 11:19 AM

Not saying Jeudy isn't. Would love to have him in the slot at Clemson. Just can't see any scenario where they have 4 1st round WRs. They are being talked about on the same caliber as our DL last season and you can't convince me they are even the best unit in college football.

It was the best team ever in college football...until it wasn't.

null

Honest question, did you think we had 1st rounders

Aug 6, 2019, 6:25 PM

starting on our DL last year? I don't see much of a difference between the 2 comparisons...And I think they are both wrong

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Waddle and Ruggs aren't slouches either***

Aug 6, 2019, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama Receivers....I just don't see it ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're good and will light up most teams. Clemson isn't

Aug 6, 2019, 10:13 AM

'most teams', though. I don't care what they do in the regular season. LSU may have something for them but other than that they don't play anyone with a spectacular defense. Then there's us.

This exact scenario played out last year. Let 'em get all played up again by the media and SEC homers. The pressure is totally on them this year and they know it. Can't wait for Episode 5.

Re: They're good and will light up most teams. Clemson isn't

Aug 6, 2019, 11:30 AM

LSU has lost 8 straight and folks still act like the faux Tigers are all that. How badly does Bama usually beat LSU?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU’s problems with Bama have all been offensive

Aug 6, 2019, 11:50 AM

Their defense has been pretty stout but can’t hold up to be on the field the whole game because their offense couldn’t move the ball.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Aug 6, 2019, 10:15 AM

One of the most over-hyped, over-rated position groups in modern football history.

They are to Clemson's WRs what Tua is to Trevor: not in the same league.

Agree w/ Carlsbad on Jeudy...but its more than just speed.

Aug 6, 2019, 10:17 AM

All 4 were basically held in check this past January. And our "slow" WR corp more than held its own.

Clemson WR:
20 cathes, 347 yards, 3 tds

Bama WR:
22 cathes, 295 yards, 2 tds

WE ARE LIVING IN THE GLORY YEARS!!!

Re: Agree w/ Carlsbad on Jeudy...but its more than just speed.

Aug 6, 2019, 10:36 AM

They may be fast for one quarter, but last year they sis not show much in the last three quarters in their last two games. Bama itself scored twenty points in post-first quarter for those two games. If OU had started scoring in the first quarter, we might have been playing them in California.

Re: Agree w/ Carlsbad on Jeudy...but its more than just speed.

Aug 6, 2019, 11:15 AM

I don't think that's fair to say at all. Bama was up 28-0 in the 2nd quarter, and still led by as much as 18 until 6 minutes left in the game. Teams tend to change the way they play after being up by 28 points. That's like saying Clemson was lucky to beat A&M because A&M's offense didn't pick up until the 2nd half.

Besides Clemson, who has better WRs than Bama?

Aug 6, 2019, 10:18 AM

Come on man... That's an elite group of WRs. Just because our guys are incredible doesn't mean that Bama's guys aren't really freaking good.

Re: Besides Clemson, who has better WRs than Bama?

Aug 6, 2019, 10:25 AM

If you're going to talk about a WR group in such hyperbolic terms as the media does, there needs to be somebody there taller than 6' 1".

They are a small-ish, homogeneous group, and it shows when you see them in person.

If they can create separation and catch everything close to

Aug 6, 2019, 10:46 AM

them, height doesn't enter into it. And how many CBs/Safeties are taller than 6'1"? Of course, I'll take our WRs over any in the country, but Bama's are fast and make plays. I don't really see how we can argue that given what they did last year.

Re: If they can create separation and catch everything close to

Aug 6, 2019, 10:52 AM

Height enters into it if you're snapping the ball inside the redzone. You won't get separation there with speed alone.

Re: If they can create separation and catch everything close to

Aug 6, 2019, 11:04 AM

This is a huge deal for any team that faces Bama. Venables played it perfectly. Let them catch the ball and keep them in front of you for 80 yards. Squeeze them and make them play you in the redzone. Tua is not accurate enough to hit 6'1 creating 1 ft of separation in 20 yards of space. They may beat you 1-2 times but the potential for turnovers is increases as the game goes on.

null

Clemson had the only DL in the country that could stop their

Aug 6, 2019, 11:55 AM

rushing attack in the redzone.

Bama's WRs are not a weakness. I'm sure they'd love a 6'4'' guy, but I don't think I would take any other group of WRs (outside of Clemson) other than Bamas.

Re: Clemson had the only DL in the country that could stop their

Aug 6, 2019, 1:01 PM

You mean like Mizzo

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Football-Improving-red-zone-efficiency-main-focus-for-Crimson-Tide-in-Week-8-123432461/

Bama Ranked 78th in Redzone scoring and 30th in TD percentage in the redzone. Not what I would call elite.

null

Bama beat everyone by 50 points. I'm just arguing that

Aug 6, 2019, 1:39 PM

I would take my chances with their WR room over anyone else in the country outside of Clemson.

To me, that means they are really freaking good. Any position group who is top 3 in the country is elite.

Re: Besides Clemson, who has better WRs than Bama?

Aug 6, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Besides Clemson, who has better WRs than Bama? ]

Odell Beckham Jr. is 5'11
Antonio Brown is 5'10
Nuk Hopkins is 6'1

Re: Well, can they

Aug 6, 2019, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Besides Clemson, who has better WRs than Bama? ]

Block? Will they sacrifice their bodies for team and glory?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they'll continue to torch those SEC secondaries....

Aug 6, 2019, 10:38 AM

they're basically 4 slot receivers.

Aug 6, 2019, 11:03 AM

Just a note, but the "average" NFL receiver isn't 6'4"/250.

If that was our WR corp everyone here would be saying

Aug 6, 2019, 11:14 AM

it's the best in the country.

They are lacking a Higgins/Ross type of guy with elite size, but they have great depth and Jeudy is as good as anyone in the country, including Ross.

Its one of those situations where I wouldn't trade our guys for theirs because its very close and I have a fan attachment to our players, but I doubt many Bama fans would trade their WR group for ours either.

Re: If that was our WR corp everyone here would be saying

Aug 6, 2019, 11:56 AM

Sorry, if all of our guys were 6'1 190 there would be many on this site asking why we can't find an elite 1 on 1 guys. Yes it is great to have a Sammy Watkins with elite speed, but without someone with size opposite him who can create a mismatch you are limited. Hopkins was the exception, largely due to his mentality. If you want to tell me they found two players of Hopkins caliber I will concede.

null

Re: If that was our WR corp everyone here would be saying

Aug 6, 2019, 12:12 PM

Were they really limited though? They scored high numbers against pretty much every team last year except for Clemson, and we had one of the best defenses in college football over the past several years. Even then, I'd say they lost the game so badly against us more because their defense couldn't make stops, and the game was out of hand in the 2nd half.

They still put up 443 yards against us, and that was with not even having the ball for the final 10 minutes of the game. I'm not saying our defense didn't do a great job, because they did, but I can't see where having slightly taller receivers would've changed things for them.

I also don't think it was as simple as saying they couldn't do anything inside the 20 as some have said. They converted a touchdown at the GL on their 2nd touchdown, and had 2nd and goal from the 1 on their 3rd drive before getting moved back on a false start. They really didn't have another drive make it that far until the game was basically over. Also, not everyone is going to have a DL as dominant as ours from last season.

I bet they would have traded in the 3rd quarter of the Natty

Aug 6, 2019, 1:14 PM [ in reply to If that was our WR corp everyone here would be saying ]

Bama fans that is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They probably would've traded Savion Smith (and Josh Jobe)

Aug 6, 2019, 1:22 PM

for Trayvon Mullen and/or AJ Terrell.

Aug 6, 2019, 11:55 AM

We'll see this year now that Coach V has showed everyone how to play them receivers. Tua and Bama lived on the long ball last year and when it was shut down they had trouble scoring points, especially in the redzone where the size does matter for a receiver that can't get separation. I expect teams like LSU and TAMU to be able to somewhat control their offense doing that this year and it could be very interesting how Bama responds. Do they just try to pond the ball in when inside the redzone or do they try to get them receivers open underneath hoping they can speed their way into the endzone? This is a pivotal position Bama is in this year with Clemson showing other how to defend against their offense and how to exploit their defense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2019, 12:18 PM

What did Clemson show anyone else that they can actually use? Will everyone else have a DL loaded with NFL talent that is capable of shutting down the run in the red zone while getting a ton of pressure on Tua?

Also, I realize they scored a lot of touchdowns on long plays last year, but it's not as if they didn't score plenty with running plays or short passing plays near the goal line.

I dont think we did anything new against the Bama defense. Saban likes to

Aug 6, 2019, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama Receivers....I just don't see it ]

leave his CBs isolated 1 on 1 and *if* you have a WR or two capable of winning that matchup you can score points on them. Most teams can't do that because Bama usually has 5* CBs out there and there really aren't that many Mike Williams, Justyn Ross, Tee Higgins type WRs capable of physically beating their DBs, but it has been done before. Ole Miss did that to them in 2015, and A&M put up a bunch of points on them throwing to Mike Evans in 2013 (in a losing effort).

Last year Bama replaced their entire secondary and one of their CBs wasn't up to snuff. If you rewatch the game though you will notice that we hardly threw at their stud 5* FR Patrick Surtain who was locking down the left side of the field. I dont think they have anyone else that talented in the pipeline to take over the other CB spot, but if they improve that position in 2019 they will be much more difficult to throw on this year.

The one thing we did do a little differently against them was use more stack WR formations to negate their press coverage.

Aug 6, 2019, 1:36 PM

Just more sec biased nonsense

GO TIGERS

Aug 6, 2019, 1:40 PM

Just more sec biased nonsense

GO TIGERS

Aug 6, 2019, 2:37 PM

Yep, to be considered a great receiver you must be at a minimum over 6 ft and over 200 lbs. For instance there is no way a 5-10, 185 lbs receiver can make an impact at the college level. No wait, never mind.

Are they the best in the country, no. Are they elite, yes.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic