Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baker Mayfield has just proven the heisman trophy is nothing but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Baker Mayfield has just proven the heisman trophy is nothing but

Dec 10, 2017, 9:04 PM

a participation trophy they give out to youth league teams. What an embarrassment to youth leagues all over the country!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you admit that Lamar is deserving this year?***

Dec 10, 2017, 9:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So you admit that Lamar is deserving this year?***

Dec 10, 2017, 9:11 PM

It did not matter if Jackson won it or Mayfield, the Heisman trophy is a joke. It is a popularity contest. It no longer has its true meaning. Awarded to the best college football player.

Who would you have voted for?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hesiman has always been a popularity choice

Dec 10, 2017, 9:32 PM

That is often the reason why votes are different regionally. No one voter can see all the tspe of all games of all teams. As a result, voters go with the easy or least controversial choice. The best player,has probably been on losing teams or a defensive player.

Look at the list if Heisman winners:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heisman_Trophy_winners

Very few are players that transcend the sport, especially since Barry Sanders won in the 80's.

I would have voted Mayfield if I had a vote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The word "integrity" is what gives me pause here...

Dec 10, 2017, 9:43 PM

...as such, I could never vote for Baker given his lack of. Just my opinion.

"The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."

Straight from the website.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: The word "integrity" is what gives me pause here...

Dec 10, 2017, 9:53 PM

Correct it does say that.

But its my vote and I vote Mayfield.

Im also also a CFP selection committee member who doesn't believe a conference championship is a pre-req to make the playoffs. Also, as a committee member I am torn between voting for most deserving and best team. I hope we can go to field of eight but the Power 5 presidents keep telling me to bug off.

+10***

Dec 11, 2017, 12:01 AM [ in reply to The word "integrity" is what gives me pause here... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baker wasn't the best?

Dec 10, 2017, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Re: So you admit that Lamar is deserving this year?*** ]

I mean I understand if you hate him but you can't say he wasn't good

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno. Grabbing his junk and screaming FU...

Dec 10, 2017, 9:51 PM

...on national TV along with other issues may give some of us pause.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: I dunno. Grabbing his junk and screaming FU...

Dec 10, 2017, 9:55 PM

Not the best look for the kid but he seems like a very nice young man and is a heck of a ball player. Some people are not calm, cool, and collected like others. That does not mean Newton, Winston, or Jackson did not deserve the award. Same with Mayfield. Now I do think DW deserved it last year but LJ was dang good and he could argue he deserved it this year.

"Not the best look" doesn't excuse what he did...

Dec 10, 2017, 10:07 PM

...nor does it give him a pass for the integrity piece of the statement. You guys seem to be ignoring that part. Great player, great stats, yes. But not deserving of the Heisman per the totality of their own criteria in my opinion. We just won't agree on that.

Re: "Not the best look" doesn't excuse what he did...

Dec 11, 2017, 12:01 AM

Not ignoring it at all. His play makes up for it though. I don't like him. Stanford's RB seems to be more level headed than either QB but Baker lead his team to a 12-1 record and was the best QB this year. So what if he did something in retaliation to a really team that wouldn't even shake his hand at the start of the game. I don't like to see stuff like that but kids make mistakes at young ages.

When are we going to quit calling 22 year olds kids?

Dec 11, 2017, 8:14 AM

He is a grown man. He didn't grab his junk and say FU once, he said it repeatedly. If he did this in almost any other setting it would not be tolerated yet it is on a football field because he "is a kid". And none of that excuses running from the police, that should have him suspended and disqualified from the award.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When are we going to quit calling 22 year olds kids?

Dec 11, 2017, 8:27 AM

I am 25 and I am still not fully grown up. I would never act like that but I have 2 kids and have to set an example. I am not saying what he did was right but some of you act like it is just horrible. The running from the police thing is very stupid though. He should have never been that drunk in the streets but kids make mistakes sometimes.

Dec 10, 2017, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: I dunno. Grabbing his junk and screaming FU... ]

Lmao... not a nice look for the young man. Well hell, I would say not. There is suppose to be some honor, integrity, character etc.. now these qualities have been lacking in decades but lavar and Mayfield are nowhere near what that award was originally created for. Lavar is a poor sportsmanship ### most times in the field when it doesn’t go his way. He can’t even speak English where most people can understand. You would think Louisville would have tried to get their starting qb in enough self help classes to know how to talk..ugh.. ugh...ugh .. you know... you know..
Then you have horny Mayfield. He too was not aided with his university in teaching him public speaking. And in between the “you knows” got to grab that #### before it escapes... will yammer a little more, complain about how they were treated do some more “you know” several times crab the #### a couple of more times and that is his big interview

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 10, 2017, 11:58 PM

From reading this post I can tell you know a lot about honor, integrity, and good character. Classy you are.

Dec 11, 2017, 5:45 AM

Not getting in a pissing contest with you, but far more character than you

Dec 11, 2017, 8:29 AM

Yes calling somebody horny Mayfield and saying a young student athlete cannot speak English is some great character dude. Maybe Mayfield could teach you how to act like an adult.

Nice young man???? Have you seen some of the things

Dec 11, 2017, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Re: I dunno. Grabbing his junk and screaming FU... ]

the guy does???? Your expectations are mighty low.

Re: Nice young man???? Have you seen some of the things

Dec 11, 2017, 12:05 AM

I have seen him be interviewed numerous times. What has he done that is just so horrible to you?

You wouldn’t get it.***

Dec 11, 2017, 12:07 AM

Re: You wouldn’t get it.***

Dec 11, 2017, 12:09 AM

Wouldn't get what? Bashing a 23 year old college football player? People make mistakes.

Re: Nice young man???? Have you seen some of the things

Dec 11, 2017, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Nice young man???? Have you seen some of the things ]

I don't like the thing with the police but he was probably drunk and not himself. That is a bad thing to be in that situation and I would never act like that but I know good people who have done stupid things before. We all have done dumb things that we wish we could take back.

No Baker fan, but KU didn't shake his hand and late hit the

Dec 11, 2017, 9:22 AM [ in reply to I dunno. Grabbing his junk and screaming FU... ]

crap out of him all game. I'm sure they had choice words for him during the game. Not condoning his response, but it's easy to see why he did it.

Re: No Baker fan, but KU didn't shake his hand and late hit the

Dec 11, 2017, 9:40 AM

Yep. Not the response you would like to see but he was antagonized into it.

Dec 10, 2017, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: So you admit that Lamar is deserving this year?*** ]

Love

Dec 11, 2017, 8:46 AM

Warrior; to play through the pain and still preform. We don't even entertain Baker if Love is not hurt for half the season. While hurt for half the season he was 27 yards from rushing for 2000 yards amd rushed for 17 TDs.

Dec 10, 2017, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: So you admit that Lamar is deserving this year?*** ]

I would have voted for love.. I think the west coast usc

I'm sure everyone that is so against it will be fired up

Dec 10, 2017, 10:18 PM

when a Clemson player is on that stage. Lay off the kids (Jackson and Mayfield).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No issue with Jackson that I am aware of...

Dec 10, 2017, 10:50 PM

...relative to integrity or behavior. But Mayfield is a different story given his very recent documented antics. I would feel the same if it were a Tiger on that stage with a similar history. Thankfully, we don't have those personalities or issues.

Re: No issue with Jackson that I am aware of...

Dec 11, 2017, 12:04 AM

One of our most classy players sticks his finger up players butts to get in their heads. That is okay though because he is a Tiger. I love Wilkins and have no problem with it but you can't have it both ways.

But, Mayfield's 23 years old--not really a kid.

Dec 10, 2017, 11:42 PM [ in reply to I'm sure everyone that is so against it will be fired up ]

I'm not really in this discussion, but at 23 most of us were grown ups with responsibilities.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Baker Mayfield has just proven the heisman trophy is nothing but

Dec 10, 2017, 10:58 PM

Get over it. ####### and all h s the best player in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic