Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Your best catfish bait?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 599

Your best catfish bait?

Oct 20, 2019, 6:04 PM

Been out on Hartwell a lot lately And have tried some catfishing w no luck. Today caught a few largemouth and some brim. Kids had fun. Stripers are biting again but w 4 kids using live herring And 6 rods is a pain. But haven’t had any luck w catfish. Jounge advice needed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw this the other day.

Oct 20, 2019, 6:09 PM

I've been covering my shrimp with garlic powder and catfish love it and it's like a preservative an open bag can last up to a week or longer but without garlic maybe 3 days...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are there tarpon in lake hartwell?***

Oct 20, 2019, 9:11 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

worms.

Oct 20, 2019, 6:14 PM

throw out on bottom late evening in a cove... by morning you got a catfish.

Never fails for Mr OSF on Lake Russell and Thurmond

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

chicken necks left in the sun a couple of days

Oct 20, 2019, 6:14 PM

catfish are scavengers - like buzzards & possums they like it ripe.

(at least that always works on Lake Summit anyways)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

5 gum

Oct 20, 2019, 6:18 PM

Ask him what it was like after you reel him in.

Bait the hole a day before you fish.

Oct 20, 2019, 8:11 PM

I've heard of cans of dog food with holes punched in it or the content poured into a burlap bag. Chum is the trick with cats or anything that hunts on bottom.

Whatever you use to chum the hole then use that for bait. Mix a concoction which will stay on a hook, cheap breakfast cereal and flour mixed with something nasty/smelly. I don't think they care what's in it as long as it stinks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was in 1956***

Oct 20, 2019, 8:59 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a picture of me taken about that time with an uncle..

Oct 20, 2019, 10:04 PM

holding a catfish next to me. I don't know what I weighed but that fish was reported to have weighed 41 lbs. Guess how he caught it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your best catfish bait?

Oct 20, 2019, 9:01 PM

Chicken livers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really good profile pics and believable backstory

Oct 21, 2019, 7:47 AM

Wait, wut?

I put my fingers in your

Oct 21, 2019, 7:57 AM

mom's coooter, then I just stick my fingers in the water and stir them around a little bit.

Troll double drop shot rigs

Oct 21, 2019, 8:07 AM

I read about it on the Hartwell fishing forum.

Later, I tested it twice afterwards and caught about 20 cats each time.

http://www.fishinglakehartwell.com/forum/catfish/854-5-6-16-a.html?highlight=double+drop+shot

I don't know how many months it will be effective. I think March-Sept is ideal, but it may still work into November.

Essentially, tie up a double drop shot rig with 1/2 ounce sinker on the end (bottom). Rig with small cut herring or night crawlers. Use trolling motor to troll about 0.5 mph in 10-20 ft of relatively clean water. Catch fish. Put milk back in freezer.

For big fish, live bream for flatheads and cut bream or herring for blues. Takes some time to find good places to fish, but Seneca River, 12 mile, Keowee River are good areas to target big blues or flatheads.

I found some crappie stacked up under the Cherry rd bridge on Saturday. If you're into crappie fishing, drop some minnows down between the pilings about 10-15 feet. Or if you want further instruction I can give more detail.

1. Don't rod fish for cats. You'll catch one every couple of

Oct 21, 2019, 8:40 AM

days like that.

2. Bush hook. Set about 25 with a buddy.

3. Use eel or cut bait (not sure if cut bait on bush hook is legal anymore, stay safe with eel). Chicken livers etc aren't good on bush hooks because they fall off too easy.

4. Set the lines.

5. Drink 2-3 beers.

6. Run the lines

7. ????

8. Profit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: 1. Don't rod fish for cats. You'll catch one every couple of

Oct 21, 2019, 11:51 AM

I used to fish cats like this w my father on Lake Adger. Every night we would go out and bait tree and bush hooks with clams that I would dive into the lake and get. Def a good method. Once the house is built I will def be doing that in the evening and checking them in the morn.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you're going to leave it overnight

Oct 21, 2019, 11:56 AM

it's best to use a trot line. That way if you get hung up that morning and can't get out there in time, GW has a harder time finding it. Trot lines are under the water. Bush hooks are above. And best believe if GW sees one still in 30 seconds past pull up time, your ### getting hammered.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Thankfully DNR is non existent on Hartwell past labor day

Oct 21, 2019, 12:03 PM

or so. Can do pretty much anything you want out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hot dogs....Seriously***

Oct 21, 2019, 10:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently

Oct 21, 2019, 11:59 AM

You just need a pair of...gloves.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ive used this....

Oct 21, 2019, 12:40 PM

When I don't have Twizzlers, I'll cut up a catfish.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 599
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic