Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bah humbug....you can't even help the needy anymore.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Bah humbug....you can't even help the needy anymore.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:08 PM

Every year at church, we do the usual giving tree thing where a local agency gives us some envelopes with kid's information in them whose parents need some help.

Usually you're getting small toys, clothes, etc....the necessities.

So I let my daughter pick out the envelope this year....just says "2 year old girl" on the envelope.

You open it up and there's the form letter with the child's info. Under the child's clothing section, the mom put an "X" by all the sizes (presumably to preclude someone from buying them clothes), and in the favorite toys section, it was really vague.

Then you get to the "additional notes" section where the mom writes whatever else she wants you to know. It read "I would really like my daughter to have a (insert model name) Power Wheels AND (her capitalization, not mine) a (Insert brand) learning tablet".

So I looked em up. The Power Wheels and the Tablet are both $200-300.

Then I google the mom's name and on her social media there's a pic of her with her 2010-ish Mercedes.

FTS...the world just sucks now....you can't even do something nice for someone deserving if you want to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have two charities here that I like.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:11 PM

ECCO--(East Cooper Community outreach) and a local meals on wheels. MOW has become the go to because I know local elderly folks see that outcome of the charity, and I don't particularly like children of any variety.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we usually have somebody from each of those in our Rotary

Dec 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

club.

definitely good causes

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair...a 2010 Mercedes

Dec 10, 2018, 2:11 PM

may be worth less than that Power Wheels you were referencing

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8ish year old Benz IS NEEDY!

Dec 10, 2018, 2:15 PM

do you have any idea what parts and labor on a used Benz is?

you cannot afford basic living necessities

Every year I go to Wal-Mart and pay off someone's layaway

for around $100. Make sure it's toys. I pay it all off except for $5.

Also make a point once a year to pay for someone's meal in the car behind me in the drive-thru. Preferably a woman screaming at her kids in the back seat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every year I pay a few thousand dollars to the local

Dec 10, 2018, 2:22 PM

schooling fund via property taxes, and that is enough to sufficiently #### me off for the rest of the year so that I don't give anything more to charity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I pay property taxes to keep my home.***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I debated just not paying them on my boat and seeing

Dec 10, 2018, 2:46 PM

what happens. I mean, my sister got hit head on by a clearly high AF driver, who was also pregnant, and had no insurance. She didn't go to jail or anything. ####, if I just decide to sit on my ### and eat twinkies to the point that I'm so fat I physically cannot move, the county DSS will come bring me groceries and stuff. Even clean my house if it gets too bad. I can be mentally ill too.

The people who care are the ones getting the shaft.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

had a guy in our neighborhood that played that game

Dec 10, 2018, 4:04 PM

he bught house. Had baby momma rent house from him. she was on govt assistance, rent assistance, welfare, WIC, etc. Kids went to same school as mine, they were on free breakfast and lunch.

Baby momma drove white escalade, baby daddy drove a black one....there is a theme there. They had 4 wheelers, go carts, he had an old Camaro he was refurbishing.

He was active duty national guard or reserves or something.

someone in the community called it in to his superiors and he got busted. I heard he got discharged and in a LOT of trouble.

They dont live in our neighborhood no mo'

You need a friend who does boat appraisals

Dec 10, 2018, 7:54 PM [ in reply to I debated just not paying them on my boat and seeing ]

Get the appraised value below $500 one year and never have to pay taxes on it again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Oh, and this happened right after a similar instance.

Church ends, and my son tells me there's a homeless looking guy at the back of the church. So I go back and talk to him. I've seen him before, and he usually comes in once a quarter with a different story. This time involved "him having a son with an aneurysm and the doctors say he's gotta get to Ohio before it popped". Being in church and all, I'm trying not to judge so I let the BS story slide and ask what he needs, and he says he's gotta buy gas.

We don't give out money at church for obvious reasons, so I go up to the church office and get a $25 prepaid gas card that we keep for just such occasions.

Go back downstairs, hand it to him, and the first words out of his mouth are "Just one?".

Ugh the things I wanted to do at that moment but couldn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last week I rode over to the Beacon for lunch break

Dec 10, 2018, 2:57 PM

and sitting out by the door is a young Obed asking for hand outs. I tell him like I tell the rest of them that I don't have any cash but if he wants to come inside I'll get a meal for him. He graciously accepts

While we're in line after we've order and exchanged a few words he puts on his Beats. I paid for the meal and assumed karma is going to pay one of us back.

He probably didn't pay for the Beats either, if it makes you

Dec 10, 2018, 4:18 PM

feel any better.

Somebody didn’t screen that one

Dec 10, 2018, 2:16 PM

We always take a kid through Middle Tyger Community Center and those kids have all been verified with a home visit.

Related csb-
At my mom’s church it turned into a contest to see who could spend the most money without going off the list. For example if the kid wanted a lego set, they’d get the biggest fanciest one the could find, designer clothes, etc.

Now it says in big letters - spend no more than $100 total and no more than $30 on the toy.

Got to Walmart and get a $7 clothes set and a $5 doll. Mom won’t be back next year.

These people really should be easy to screen

Dec 10, 2018, 2:24 PM

Get a couple of ladies together to scan facebook pages like you just did, wouldn't take very long. These type of people post endlessly, you'll know every detail of what they've done over the past week in 10 minutes. Often times down to the minute when something happened. I don't think it's a bad thing to check people on their B.S., if we did it more people would act less trashy than they currently do.

I work with a lady who's child is on assisted meal plans in

Dec 10, 2018, 3:00 PM

public schools. I know this b/c my ex taught her daughter one year. She lives in a gated community (yes we have those in Spartanburg) and is married to a man that is gainfully employed. FTS

These type of people confuse me

Dec 10, 2018, 3:08 PM

Tries to act bougie in their 2009 Escalade and wears designer clothes, but not too proud to put their kids on the assisted meal plan.

I'd imagine a lack of pride and a feeling of being owed

Dec 10, 2018, 4:31 PM

something quickly wins out in these situations.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure you'll agree with me here, but charity was the very

Dec 10, 2018, 2:28 PM

ruination of the perfectly viable institution of indentured servitude.

NOW LOOK WHERE WE ARE.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finally, someone who gets the upside of

Dec 10, 2018, 2:30 PM

indentured servitude. The one-sidedness of the argument gets tedious.

She hot?

Dec 10, 2018, 2:58 PM

Nice fake boobies?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, are you going to let them do without all together?

Dec 10, 2018, 3:07 PM

I hope so.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic