Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
B-ball hypothetical:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

B-ball hypothetical:

Apr 5, 2019, 11:34 AM

In hindsight, knowing how supremely disappointing this season was, would you trade it for this scenario:

Brownell played the handout game, Zion ended up a Clemson, and we got to the Elite 8 with him BUT he's one-and-done, our roster goes back to how it looks otherwise, and the NCAA may/probably start sniffing around?

I genuinely want to hear what people would rather do as I'd be legitimately torn.

I think we can all extrapolate that, given the big SC recruits we've whiffed on the last few years, Brownell has decided he doesn't want to play the NBA/handler game in recruiting. Seems like the guys with the most success in this era of CBB are the ones willing to at the very least toe the NCAA line if not flat out ignore it: Will Wade, Bruce Pearl, Petino, Calipari, I think the writing is on the wall that Duke has gotten involved in that the last few years... Do we want to bring one of those types of guys in or not?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I want to hear what people think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: B-ball hypothetical:

Apr 5, 2019, 11:37 AM

I'm not torn.

I don't want our teams to cheat.

It's a lot harder to be proud of success if you know you didn't earn it the right way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Zion is like Cam Newton--if he had come to Clemson we would

Apr 5, 2019, 11:39 AM

never know what happened behind the scenes but every fan of a rival would be like "Are you kidding me?!"

absolutely agree. that's like the movie

Apr 5, 2019, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Re: B-ball hypothetical: ]

"I know what you did last summer" where they run down the hobo and then worry about the ethics of whether or not it's ok to just leave the guy dead in the road. No! It's not ok!

Why do people state as fact that Zion took money to go to

Apr 5, 2019, 11:42 AM

Duke? Is this just more revisionist history/excuse making to salve the wound of losing another great player from the state of SC?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cam Newton, where there's smoke, there's fire

Apr 5, 2019, 11:48 AM

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article220131085.html

So either his family asked Kansas for money to commit and NO ONE else or...

It hasn't been more of a story IMO because he was a huge draw to get people to watch the NCAA tourney so no one wanted to kill the golden goose.

I think this stuff is becoming so prevalent in the One-and-done Era, either with direct family members or these "handlers" with NBA ties that the NCAA is just going to turn a blind eye because they don't want to devote the resources to policing it. Why bother when you can go after low-hanging fruit like kids' wedding registries?

That looks like Merle Code saying things, but that hardly

Apr 5, 2019, 5:47 PM

seems like evidence of wrongdoing by Duke and the Williamson family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you should come out of the cave every now and then

Apr 5, 2019, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Why do people state as fact that Zion took money to go to ]

or at least get an internet provider wired in.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2801250-zion-williamson-reportedly-asked-recruiters-for-a-job-money-and-housing

I hope everyone here will say that they don't want Clemson

Apr 5, 2019, 11:57 AM

playing dirty to get recruits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You've been on TigerNet long enough to know that's not

Apr 5, 2019, 12:00 PM

the case...

So true.***

Apr 5, 2019, 12:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: So true.***

Apr 5, 2019, 12:18 PM

I really believe that there are programs in the NCAA who have so much power with the governing body that they can afford to “bend the rules” and not fear any severe punishment. We have seen this in the recent past so you know that what I am saying is true. Clemson is not one of those schools with an unexplainable relationship with the NCAA and would not survive a coach who cheated in any way.

To me, it is very obvious that our football program has elevated itself to the pinnacle of college football by doing things the right way. I’m certain that the “rules makers” have kept a close eye on on Coach Swinney because we lack that clout that some have with the big guys. And they have found nothing. That is very comforting to me as a Tiger fan and I do not want to see our basketball team stoop to the level of some we compete against. Good things happen to those who wait. Bad things sometimes happen to those who get in to big a rush to become great. Go Tigers

and as much as I hate to say this, because it didn't go

Apr 5, 2019, 6:12 PM [ in reply to You've been on TigerNet long enough to know that's not ]

well the last time I did, it's mostly going to come down to alumni versus casual fan. And by "casual," I mean just that. If you have real skin in the game, then no, you probably don't feel this way, but I'd bet the fan who just chose Clemson because of recent football success would be happy to have the basketball team do whatever it takes. Alumni and "serious" fans in it for the long haul don't want the embarrassment of the program taking that kind of a reputation hit. Baylor is never gonna recover. I watched their basketball team in the tournament and thought, "great play for rapists" pretty much the whole time.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic