Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At what point is basing your vote on how the economy works for you, having your vote bought?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 462

At what point is basing your vote on how the economy works for you, having your vote bought?

Jul 2, 2019, 2:07 PM

If one's vote is mainly based on how well the economy will work for them, how is this not having their vote bought?

When people tout the economy as a primary issue for them, do you think they mean how well the economy works for all fellow citizens on average or do they care more about what their personal tax refund will be?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gettung a tax refund does not necessarily mean its a good

Jul 2, 2019, 2:16 PM

economy. In many ways, it could mean that you don't make much money at all.

That seems like a dumb method to measure the economy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.

Jul 2, 2019, 2:39 PM

But I do recall a lot of people pumping up the presidents tax policies because of the change in their refund.

I guess my question is more about motivation for the vote, and not the actual return they get (or think they get)

are you saying that because a person reaps a personal

Jul 2, 2019, 2:21 PM

benefit from policies advanced by a politician that equates to vote buying?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was asking for others thoughts on the matter.

Jul 2, 2019, 2:37 PM

Isnt the performance of the economy the leading indicator on whether a president is reelected?

If really the only reason you vote for a candidate is to benefit yourself financially as much as possible, i would see that as having your vote bought.

This coule be said for either party in different scenarios

Re: At what point is basing your vote on how the economy works for you, having your vote bought?

Jul 2, 2019, 2:32 PM

I have rarely voted for any candidate at any level based on what is best for me personally.

why not?***

Jul 2, 2019, 2:36 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: why not?***

Jul 2, 2019, 2:46 PM

Simply because what is best for me may not be best for others. I have personal views on many things that guide the way I live my life, but would never dream of imposing those same views on others. Therefore, candidates that tend to be authoritarian, regardless of party, seldom get my vote.

I think I don't value the political/financial opinions of...

Jul 2, 2019, 2:42 PM

those that think getting a bigger REFUND is a the measure of anything....other than how they cannot manage their finances.

"Hey, Uncle Sugar let me give him a bigger interest-free loan this year...YAY!"

You and I know that...

Jul 2, 2019, 2:59 PM

But do you think there many people who see their refund as indicative of the ecomony?

I saw a lot of trump supporters claiming the got more back because of the president so maga.

Yes, many, if not most, people are financially illiterate***

Jul 2, 2019, 3:29 PM

Many can't save.

Jul 2, 2019, 3:35 PM [ in reply to I think I don't value the political/financial opinions of... ]

They seems to confuse wants with needs. If it wasn't for tax refunds they couldn't make a down payment on another junk car they bought at the 'By Here, Pay Here,' used car lot last year with a brand new, 'By Here, Pay Here,' used car. Oh, and bigger chrome wheels that that old junk they sold for scrap to 'buy Christmas,' back in Dec of last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At what point is basing your vote on how the economy works for you, having your vote bought?

Jul 2, 2019, 3:10 PM

My vote can be bought. I dont mind.

You could be in congress or work for the government.***

Jul 2, 2019, 3:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me, the state of the economy is not a huge factor

Jul 2, 2019, 3:25 PM

for how I vote, any more than how much money I have is a measure of how good my personal life is. Other stuff is more important than money.

I wonder how people who don't pay taxes justify voting...

Jul 2, 2019, 3:31 PM

to spend somebody else's money. I also wonder how people who depend on gov social benefits can be stupid enough to think that allowing half a million people to illegally cross our border then give them taxpayer health insurance.

Reckon either of us will ever get a reasonable answer?

Once you pay taxes, it's no longer "your money"

Jul 2, 2019, 3:44 PM

Any more than the money your employer pays to you is still "their money".

We are obligated to pay taxes as the law requires.

The government spends the money as Congress decides.

We decide if we like the way Congress is doing that, and we vote accordingly.

I'm not paying for a service with my taxes. I'm fulfilling the law as a citizen by paying.

I was talking about people voting for spending programs

Jul 2, 2019, 6:01 PM

when they don't pay taxes. Then asked why those non taxpaying people who live on social services vote to extend social benefits to illegals and want borders open which will exhaust the programs they used to survive.

I am quite aware of paying help and being paid from someone else and I've paid a lot of tax on my income over the 50 or so years I worked and while saying I voted against expansions which spent my money I am aware that money I paid in taxes is no longer mine.

Our government's income is very close to 100% generated from taxes.

To me, the fact that someone doesn't pay any,

Jul 2, 2019, 7:45 PM

or much taxes, has absolutely nothing to do with with what they should be voting on. There's no connection between the two things. People should however much tax they owe, and not a penny more, even if it's zero, and they should have any opinion they want to have on any facet of the government, and express that in the voting booth.

Replies: 18
| visibility 462
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic