Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As Frank Howard once said...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

As Frank Howard once said...

Mar 17, 2019, 8:50 PM

...it's only basketball. Recent national championships in football take the sting out of disappointments in basketball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As Frank Howard once said...

Mar 17, 2019, 8:55 PM

and years of that attitude is exactly the reason we are where we are. Personally I want Clemson to do well in everything

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As Frank Howard once said...

Mar 17, 2019, 8:57 PM

Ain't happening, as much as I would like to see the Tigers win every game in every sport.

me,rather not compete if we can't ever win***

Mar 17, 2019, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: As Frank Howard once said... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe that attitude is why we are two time national champs

Mar 17, 2019, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: As Frank Howard once said... ]

in football in the past three years?

Would you rather we made the dance two out of every three years and competed in New Years Bowls with the occasional playoff appearance once every decade?

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but really, look at the Top 25 in basketball. There are maybe two that are competent in football this year...Michigan and LSU.

I mean, there just aren’t many schools that compete in both sports at the highest level. Maybe a stronger emphasis in football has served us well. I doubt more than 5% of Clemson fans would say they would rather we were dominant in basketball over football. And heck, didn’t we go to the Sweet Sixteen last year, only losing by 4 to a #1 seed?

This year was a let down. It happens. Like only making it to the Playoffs last year in football. ;) What BB said, I think, is right. We competed. We just didn’t have whatever we needed to win those tight games. We still finished .500 in a conference that sent three #1 seeds to the NCAA.

null

Re: Maybe that attitude is why we are two time national champs

Mar 18, 2019, 8:47 AM

Only team I can think of that has done both is Florida from 2006-2008 when they won two nattys in football and either one or two in basketball.

Not for me...

Mar 17, 2019, 9:06 PM

There is absolutely no justifiable reason Clemson can't be extremely good in both.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Not for me...

Mar 17, 2019, 9:19 PM

Name me a program that does both. Consistently and historically.

I will wait.

The *best* case I can think of is Michigan and we both know how cuckold both programs happen to be.

It is RARE as can be, Florida and UCLA did it briefly but no one would consider Florida a basketball school and UCLA is struggling to get to .500 in anything. Neither is a historic power-house as Florida's run is even briefer in football than our own.

The trick is that you pick a sport, especially if you are a program as small as we are. We picked football, Duke picks basketball. That's ok. We can also pick up soccer, baseball, and golf too. Sometimes track.

Otherwise you end up being Maryland. Tossing everything at everything and getting nothing but debt.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:21 PM

Ohio State typically has good teams in both football and basketball.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2019, 10:40 PM

One NCAA title back in the 60s, one runner up in 2007. Matta was a good coach, not sure why they forced him out. Anyway, they do not have a history of a great program. I know they play us every so often in the Challenge. The thing is not to focus only on the past 10 years, but rather 30+ and Ohio State isn't really a basketball power.

Anyway Ohio State has a history of being more of a mid-table team. The have a sub .500 record to Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, AND Purdue. Sure, they make a run in their conference every so often but they are more akin to NC State than a UNC... but wait, NC state has more titles. They are more like a .... ummm Maryland? Nope. Losing record to those guys. Maybe Georgia Tech under Cremmins.

They also have one of the largest bases, without any in-state rivals, and cash to chase more things. Still not a basketball power with less modern football championships than US.

Oh yeah, 31-0 baby

We can very well walk and chew gum at the same time.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Not for me... ]

You're an idiot

Why does it have to be "historically?"

Mar 18, 2019, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Not for me... ]

What does history have to do with anything? Oklahoma has historically been a great football team. They made the CFP this year and have a 9-seed in the NCAA tournament. They've made the NCAA tournament 31 times, and 14 times since the year 2000. In those 14 times they have made the Final Four Twice and the Elite 8 four times.

There are several schools that have historically been football schools that are in the NCAA Tournament this year. Also, there are multiple schools that played in New Years 6 bowl games that are in the NCAA Tournament this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

We are not as bad as getting left out of tourney suggests

Mar 17, 2019, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Not for me... ]

There are about 350 D1 basketball programs. We are probably top 40. That’s comparable to being top 25 in football out of 130

I think we got shafted, but you can’t choke to NC State twice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are not as bad as getting left out of tourney suggests

Mar 17, 2019, 10:45 PM

That is a very good take of it...

The down side is that we have to play 8 other teams in conference in that top 25. It gets frustrating.

I don't think we got shafted (NC STATE did and they deserved the shafting after 14 I think). Anyway it was more amazing to see the kids keep fighting after the 1-5 start and even be in the top 40 if you will. That team was performing above the sum of its parts, we just did not have a big enough gun to take the load off of Reed when we needed it.

Agree - we need more of this “can do” attitude...

Mar 17, 2019, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Not for me... ]

.... Big CUFan!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

This attitude is the main reason why it’s hard to get top basketball recruits.***

Mar 17, 2019, 9:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Wrong again. A fan's attitude has very little to do with

Mar 17, 2019, 10:05 PM

whether or not a recruit signs with Clemson. You know what does affect a recruit's decision? A persuasive coach that can convince a recruit to sign with Clemson.

Re: Wrong again. A fan's attitude has very little to do with

Mar 17, 2019, 10:19 PM

You know what impacts a recruit, they show up on campus for a home game and the place is 60% empty.

Fan's attitudes matter... because the "I don't care" that hits about 80% of our home game make it a tough place to pitch.

Same recruit goes to a non-football mid-major with 5+ years of sellout, packed fans for a no-name game? At that time, it isn't the coach.

If you don't think attitude counts, how come DV has such a big swing on kids.

I’m actually not wrong.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Wrong again. A fan's attitude has very little to do with ]

Fans mostly caring about football translates into fewer fans who show up consistently to our basketball games. That affects the home court advantage negatively, and it makes a poor impression on recruits. If we had better fan support, we would show recruits that we care about basketball, and they might actually take Clemson seriously. That better home court advantage might help us win another game or two each year as well. In a year like this, that could’ve made the difference in an NCAA berth.

Keep blaming the coach for all that is wrong though. Good luck finding that salesman coach who signs top recruits on Clemson basketball. He will never come here given our current lack of support, and if we do happen to get one, he will either cheat to do it or leave when he realizes how bad it is here.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I’m actually not wrong.

Mar 17, 2019, 11:52 PM

I would be willing to bet this isnt as bad a job as u are making it out to be

Well...

Mar 18, 2019, 12:00 AM

We have the worst basketball history in the ACC.

We have only been to 12 NCAA Tournaments, only a few Sweet 16s, and only one Elite 8. Never a Final Four. Never an ACC Tournament Championship.

We are 14th out of 15 ACC teams in basketball spending.

We are known as a school that cares about football to a fault, relegating basketball as an afterthought.

Plus we play in a conference that has a lot of schools with amazing basketball pedigrees, administrations that support basketball well, and fans that love basketball.

Plus, Clemson isn’t going to appeal to everyone as a great place to live.

It certainly isn’t all bad, but there are obviously some major obstacles and issues to overcome. The idea
that we only need to find the right coach to fix our basketball problems is a dangerous view. In fact, that line of thinking is precisely why we continue to struggle.

Re: Well...

Mar 18, 2019, 12:30 AM

Question. When will you know that Brad Brownell has taken Clemson as far as he possibly can?

That depends on how important you think

Mar 18, 2019, 12:36 AM

the facility upgrades and staff additions over the last few years are.

If they are very important, as I think they are, then Brad should get another couple of years to see the full impact of those enhancements. That means this is viewed as year 2 or 3 and not year 9.

If they are not very important, then we are 9 years in and what we see is likely all we are going to get with him.

Re: That depends on how important you think

Mar 18, 2019, 7:53 AM

And this^

I think Brad has 2 more years unless he has a 13-19 campaign or worse next year.

He has basically been having to recruit out of a trailer behind Lee Hall. So having a few years to use the mid-level facilities we have provided is a start.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic