Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Arguably the most dominant team currently on American soil is playing tonight at 8
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Arguably the most dominant team currently on American soil is playing tonight at 8

Oct 17, 2018, 3:32 PM

That's right, the US women's national soccer team is playing Canada in the Gold Cup final tonight.

On right after the Brewers/Dodgers game on FS1.

USWNT is undefeated in the past 15 months and in their 4 games this tournament they have outscored their opponents 24-0 and outshot them 143-10.

Canada is a top 5 team in the world, so this should be a great final.

USA! USA! USA!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But PAWLLLLLL they ain't played anyone in the SEC***

Oct 17, 2018, 4:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USA won 2-0

Oct 17, 2018, 10:36 PM

I watch a lot of soccer. Especially USA soccer. I'm glad our women's team is dominating because the men can be hard to watch most of the time.

In my soccer experience, I've never seen a linesman (lineswoman in this case) as awful as I saw tonight. She was horrific in her offsides calls. She called three offsides that were a half-yard or more on. Then on USA's second "goal", she kept the flag down when Alex Morgan was more than a yard offsides.

This brings me to another point. In international soccer there is a push to have a diversity of referees and a concentration of giving refs from smaller, less soccer focused countries an undue advantage over more qualified refs from other countries.

Time after time calls from less qualified refs make a difference in games in international soccer. They get suspended for their poor decisions, but the bottom line is they weren't good enough to be on that stage to begin with.

Can we just get the best refs for international competitions, regardless of their nationality? Some people are just not qualified to be refs at the highest level, and they shouldn't be thrust into that position based on the country they come from.

Re: USA won 2-0

Oct 18, 2018, 12:30 AM

The aspect of soccer that prevents me, as an American, from fully enjoying it, is the incredible amount of power/authority invested in one person; or in this case, the two linesmen who can be just as disruptive through their incompetence.

I don't think Americans like "about" clocks. Or delay tactics that go unpenalized. Or if fouls are such a significant part of the game, the fact that no limit exists, and their enforcement is arbitrary, and their location is critical.

For a sport that commands such great prestige, interest, and money, and some truly incredible athletes, the governing bodies need to invest in technology that allows consistent enforcement of standards of play. I know the universality of the game makes language a barrier sometimes, but I'm also convinced that the governing bodies don't want transparency. Corruption is the great equalizer.

When fair play is recognizable and consistent, I'll pay more attention. Otherwise, World Cup Only. I enjoy the world's enjoyment.

I’ve played soccer my whole life and I had a hard time watching women

Oct 18, 2018, 7:29 AM [ in reply to USA won 2-0 ]

play soccer up through high school. It just wasn’t good, in my opinion.

At the national team level in America, that reverses. The women are amazing, the men are uninspired. The American women’s team has tremendous skill and an identity. The men’s team seems to be a bunch of guys wondering what they are doing out there.

Didn’t watch last night but I’m sure it was a good win.

null

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic