Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much more does Texas Tech spend on facilities?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

How much more does Texas Tech spend on facilities?

Apr 8, 2019, 2:36 PM

Based on the conventional wisdom of T-net, they have to be spending way more than Clemson to have that kind of success.

I'll hang up and listen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta be 2-3x the fan support too, amirite?***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Yeah, and Lubbock has to be much more hip and urban

Apr 8, 2019, 2:50 PM

than Clemson to attract the kind of inner-city kids that love basketball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bobby Knight coached there, instant hoops cred for their program***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:49 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one is saying it isn't possible to have success

Apr 8, 2019, 2:52 PM

without spending a lot, but surely you can agree that the chances of being consistently successful are MUCH lower for programs that don't spend much.

This is like someone advocating for buying a lottery ticket as the best way to get rich. Sure, it's possible, but it's much more likely to get rich following the path many other wealthy people have used.

To answer your question (assuming you truly wanted to know), these figures show that Texas Tech spent $7.3 million on basketball during the 2015-2016 season:

https://college-sports.texastribune.org/colleges/texas-tech-university/

Head coach Chris Beard makes $2.8 million per year (he got a raise last offseason), putting him in the top 30:

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/chris-beard-salary-contract-texas-tech-coach/

They play in a nice 15,000 seat arena:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Supermarkets_Arena

This is a moderate amount of expenditures, both overall and what they pay their coach.

It will be interesting to see if Texas Tech is able to keep Beard after this season, or if they will lose him to another program.

Message was edited by: Judge Keller®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

So Beard makes roughly what Brownell makes

Apr 8, 2019, 3:16 PM

but it's the money that's the problem?

I guess we need Bi-Lo to buy the naming rights to Littlejohn.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No one is saying it isn't possible to have success

Apr 8, 2019, 3:20 PM [ in reply to No one is saying it isn't possible to have success ]

Actually Chris's salary is listed as 3.175 mil....

Huh, it will be interesting if Chris "goes back home" to Texas when the Longhorns fire Shaka. I expect UT to make a case for the alum.

Re: How much more does Texas Tech spend on facilities?

Apr 8, 2019, 3:15 PM

What Judge said.

Chris Beard appears to be the holy grail of coaching finds. Only one year of Div 1 coaching (in sunbelt) and then has TTech in the elite 8 in his second year, finals in his 3rd.

I can only thing of one similar coach in recent memory that has done what Beard has:

Paul Hewitt. Finals in his 4th year at GT. Even then it was his 7th year as a HC vs 8th for Beard... but Beard has 3 seasons as a Div II

It will be interesting to see if TTech can keep Beard and/or if Beard can keep it up.

Brownell makes more than Bruce Pearl

Apr 8, 2019, 3:28 PM

only 500k less than Rick Barnes, and only about a million less than Tony Bennett.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell makes more than Bruce Pearl

Apr 8, 2019, 3:41 PM

And how much is spent on the program? Clemson is behind all three of those programs.

UVA spent 170 mil (2018 equivalent) on their basketball facility compared to our 70 million.

UT once had the nerve to build their arena bigger than Rump (Kentucky).

Auburned spends nearly 50% more than us in '16.

Coaching salary does not equate to basketball spending. Actually, it can be made that you might overpay a coach whens pending is not on par with other programs.

Sounds like we're overpaying Brownell then***

Apr 8, 2019, 3:50 PM

Re: Sounds like we're overpaying Brownell then***

Apr 8, 2019, 3:57 PM

It depends. Do you feel it is "ok" to invest in the HC if you other investments are lackin/

We are 14th of 15 schools and finishing 9th in conference play. Most other major conference programs spend more than us, yet we often perform better than our investment.

We would rank 13 of 14 in the SEC, 9th of 10 in the BXII, 13th of 14 in the B10, 8th of 12 in the PAC12, 8th of 11 in the Big East, and 6 of 12 in the AAC

Are you still going off the 2016 numbers?

Apr 8, 2019, 8:27 PM

GWP had the 2017 numbers and our spending increased nearly 25% year to year. With Brad's and the assistants pay bumps it surely went up in 2018 as well. If you can isolate the numbers in conference now I'd be interested in seeing them and where we stand now

Re: Brownell makes more than Bruce Pearl

Apr 8, 2019, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Brownell makes more than Bruce Pearl ]

Don’t some schools offer tangibles that are not captured as contract salary? I’m guessing Roy makes a bit more than his contract salary indicates for example.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd imagine so, yes. Here's the list I was looking at

Apr 8, 2019, 8:08 PM

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Re: I'd imagine so, yes. Here's the list I was looking at

Apr 8, 2019, 8:28 PM

Check out Calapari!!! Are you kidding me??? KY fans should be calling for his head at that price!!!!!

They just signed him to a lifetime contract

Apr 8, 2019, 8:30 PM

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26418442/calipari-seals-life-deal-finish-career-uk

If you've ever been to Lubbock, Texas...

Apr 8, 2019, 3:32 PM

you would know that Coach Beard is either cheating like crazy or he's one of the best recruiters in the business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic