Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another under-appreciated effort by Skara ... great game!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Another under-appreciated effort by Skara ... great game!!

Feb 24, 2018, 6:58 PM

Skara held Okogie to only 5 points in the second half after the guy literally hit everything he threw up while scoring 17 in the first half.

People keep asking "Why is Skara in the game??"

This is why ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another under-appreciated effort by Skara ... great game!!

Feb 24, 2018, 7:05 PM

He is a very valuable part of the team, and it is sad that there are so many on here who are totally clueless about basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2018, 9:52 PM

Bingo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you have to defend him

Feb 24, 2018, 7:06 PM

its usually not a good sign

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you have to defend him

Feb 24, 2018, 7:19 PM

People with little knowledge of basketball don’t like him because he’s not a great shooter. They don’t see any other aspects of his game.

This is why people are so obsessed with Donnal.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2018, 7:42 PM

In addition to his defense, he is a good passer, he blocks out, and he rebounds well for his size. In sum, he is a quality player. Unfortunately, there are some here who are too stupid to recognize his value to the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're saying he's basically this guy...

Feb 26, 2018, 3:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AUpGXLDdk

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2018, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: If you have to defend him ]

Bingo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Tigers began their run and to take command of the game

Feb 24, 2018, 7:26 PM

when they stepped up their defense about 5 minutes into the second half and no where was it more evident than the job Skara did getting a handle on Okogie and finally shutting him down.....geezus, that guy was the proverbial "one man gang" in the first half and it wasn 't the first time he'd single-handedly kicked Clemson's rear-end for an extended period of time.

And Shelton's return gives Tiger fans hope that the 3 pronged attack with him, Devoe and Reed can return to its former high level energy.

Skara's defense of the high scorer of the other team is also a prime part of the package.

Hope springs eternal.....although you'd think Id have learned my lesson after 60+ years of supporting Tiger hoops....:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Tigers began their run and to take command of the game

Feb 24, 2018, 7:39 PM

Nothing bigger than the offensive rebound he got in the closing minute of the game

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh, the game has 2 halves. Also didn’t Okogie sit out a lot

Feb 24, 2018, 7:37 PM

of the 2nd half with fouls?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About 6 minutes, which means he barely scored the other 14

Feb 24, 2018, 8:07 PM

So your point is what exactly?

The point is all the points he scored the first half! Do

Feb 24, 2018, 10:17 PM

they not count. He is a big liability on offense. Disagree?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skara didn't start guarding him until midway through

Feb 24, 2018, 10:52 PM

the first half. On offense, no doubt, he's not a good shooter. We have three shooters now that Mitchell is back. Someone has to get the tough defensive assignment. Or is your answer to put one of those three shooters on him, none of which could guard him as he is so much bigger and stronger, and have him get one or more in to foul trouble?

Just watched the 1st half again and paid close attention

Feb 26, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Uh, the game has 2 halves. Also didn’t Okogie sit out a lot ]

I don't think that Okogie scored but 5-6 points directly on Skara in the first half.

Skara gave up one "three" and a couple of foul shots, but most of Okogie's damage in the first half was done when he managed to gain a switch off from Skara's defense, or we went to zone, or as with the last 5-6 minutes of the half, with Skara on the bench.

I think you could assign maybe 10 of Okogie's 22 points for the whole game to Skara directly.

Skara plays solid every game

Feb 24, 2018, 9:41 PM

Dude may not shoot great. But plays great defense. Reminds me of Iturbe or Jurkinas under Barnes.

If he ever starts dropping threes consistently, watch out!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Skara plays solid every game

Feb 24, 2018, 9:59 PM

Ditto! Skara is a blue collar bb player. He just gets the job done by working his ### off.

I went to the game and watched Skara in warmups...

Feb 24, 2018, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Skara plays solid every game ]

He’s actually a fairly decent shooter. His form is fine and every shot he throws up looks on target. I just think he gets major butterflies during the game or he is still trying to adapt to ACC size and speed.

There definitely is offensive talent in Skara. Coach BB just has to get it out of him.

~JKB

Feb 24, 2018, 9:52 PM

Bingo.

Feb 24, 2018, 10:22 PM

Well I coached for 11 years. I am on record for not being a fan. He plays terrible off the ball defense. What you do with the player in front of you ,is half of the equation. What you do when others need help is the other half. He is terrible at that. He hustles, I give him that. He doesn't have great timing, his shooting is not great. He is a good off the bench for a few minutes here and there to provide a blow for a starter. he will give his all . .just not great. But in his defense, how many of them are great? I'm a big defensive minded person. So that fact that I don't see the help defense that I always wanted from players, is a big negative for me. Brad know sit too . I see him speak to him about it on the side lines. But Brad has who has.. . .

Feb 24, 2018, 10:29 PM

BB has been on record since skara has been here that he is our best defender. is he perfect? of course not. does BB "coach" him on the sidelines. sure he does, like he coaches any player. IMO, skara's defense, as a whole, has helped us tremendously this year

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2018, 12:51 AM

I haven't seen it. I'm watching the floor and the ball and off the ball to see what the players are doing. Just like you would from the bench. I'm not saying he's at fault at all times. I just see others doing a more consistent job. I have allow physical mistakes from time to time, but mental can't happen.

Did you and coachmac coach together?

Feb 24, 2018, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Another under-appreciated effort by Skara ... great game!! ]

Why is it that the one's who claim to be coaches have a pulse of below even known coot levels?

Re: Did you and coachmac coach together?

Feb 25, 2018, 12:49 AM

Up you @ss punk. You and your kind disgust me. I'm sorry you breathe our air.If you have any technical knowledge show it. But all you guys do is #### around insults. Worthless people.

Re: Did you and coachmac coach together?

Feb 25, 2018, 1:05 AM

Oh man looks like we have another church league coach if the year! Coachmac better watch out.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I'm sure they fought it out in the girls ages 9-10

Feb 25, 2018, 3:43 AM

bracket for many years. Attended coaches clinics by guys like Brad who are actual coaches, as in still coaches, because they've been successful at the highest levels. Guys they now question from the vantage point of expert, because hey! "I used to be a coach!"

But now I post on the interwebs and everyone votes me down because I'm smarter than the real coaches

Sure that is not PoniesPeter?***

Feb 25, 2018, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Another under-appreciated effort by Skara ... great game!! ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sure that is not PoniesPeter?***

Feb 25, 2018, 8:04 PM

Another childish post. Man have any of you turds grown up? I am embarrassed to think you have graduated from Clemson. So my guess ism, you actually did not. And for th record, my coaching was HS Boys.One of the years we made it to the state finals, top 4 in the state. We did not win. Just the facts . .no problem with that. But you children are too much. You should feel sorry for your sorry @$$es. Never have grown up to the pint where you are responsible and can discuss things without reverting to child like comments. I'm sorry for your parents.

At least we can discuss things without having to tout

Feb 25, 2018, 9:30 PM

what we used to be to try to gain credibility. And still you fail miserably

Re: At least we can discuss things without having to tout

Feb 27, 2018, 6:59 PM

But Im guessing, you never did anything like this. So where is the credibility? because I retired from it, I now know nothing? Stupid logic.

Nope, but I coached powderpuff football

Feb 27, 2018, 10:37 PM

I've also traveled with, been on vacations with, spent lots of time with, had numerous discussions with many head and assistant coaches at Clemson; discussed players and teams with pro scouts for many years; and been around many of the great ACC coaches as they've discussed the game.

So when you say something like Skara can't play defense, yet a successful college coach says he's far and away the best defender on a good defensive team, I know you're full of it.

I also know if you talked to your players like you do people on this board, you didn't retire, they fired your butt ?? did you throw chairs and call them sissies and stuff?

Re: Sure that is not PoniesPeter?***

Feb 26, 2018, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Sure that is not PoniesPeter?*** ]

You call people childish and all you do is cuss and name call. Who is acting like the child? What school are you talking about and were you the head coach? No so shut up

It should be mentioned Okogie

Feb 26, 2018, 1:58 PM

that Okogie played the last 11 minutes of the game with 4 fouls and was on the bench for about half that time.

It should also be noted that advanced statistics still indicate the Skara's defense is not offset by his offense and that we'd project to be a better team with Simms playing more minutes than Skara as Simms offensive and defensive plus/minus is higher than Skara's.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/clemson/2018.html

I'm not saying these stats are concrete proof of anything, but there is certainly reason to question Skara's high minutes when give his apparent lack of an offensive game. I simply think Brownell will never really get away from his defensive nature as a coach and Skara executes his defensive plan better.

But there's certainly reason to think that when Skara's on the floor we don't have our best team out there and when he's out there for 30 minutes per game, that's a lot of time to handcuff your team offensively.

Re: It should be mentioned Okogie

Feb 27, 2018, 3:31 PM

Skara was on the bench the last 6 minutes of the first half when Okogie did most of his damage.

Feb 26, 2018, 2:50 PM

Did you forget to mention Okogie was hurt in the second half?

Feb 26, 2018, 3:09 PM

Hurt ? That a new one

Link ??***

Feb 26, 2018, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Another under-appreciated effort by Skara ... great game!! ]

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic