Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another true clemson basketball story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Another true clemson basketball story

Feb 18, 2019, 11:51 AM

That you may not believe.

Many of us complain, and rightfully so, about the acc officiating but I recall a game many years ago when the score at tip off was Clemson 0 .... Opponent 2! Clemson trailed by two before the game began.

How so you ask?

The officials saw a Tiger player dunk the ball in pre game warmups and called a technical foul and allowed the opponent to shoot two shots prior to the game beginning.

Anyone remember this.?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tree Rollins

Feb 18, 2019, 11:54 AM

Re: Tree Rollins

Feb 18, 2019, 11:59 AM

I truly can’t remember but Tree would be a good suspect. What year did the rules change to allow dunking in a game.

I believe '76-'77 season you were allowed to dunk again

Feb 18, 2019, 12:05 PM

It was outlawed in 1967 when Lew Alcindor played for UCLA

For some reason I'm thinking after he graduated so

Feb 18, 2019, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Tree Rollins ]

maybe 79, 80 ?

I remember my last year, 1976, last home game of the

Feb 18, 2019, 12:24 PM

season, freshman Marvin Dickerson doing a thunderous dunk on a fast break near the end of the game. Got the automatic technical foul of course, since dunking was banned. But, the crowd went absolutely bonkers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup! I was there!

Feb 18, 2019, 12:46 PM

Good ol' Marvin...Middleton Razorback...(boo! I was a Rock!). It got loud...bench and fans went nuts! LOL!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The first time I saw "Leapin'" Marvin Dickerson

Feb 18, 2019, 1:42 PM

was during a team scrimmage when he was just a freshman.....I was watching with one of my best friends when the ball was tossed at center court to start the game and Leapin' Marvin outjumped senior Tree Rollins for the tip.

We both spoke highly of Marvin ever after.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember my last year, 1976, last home game of the

Feb 18, 2019, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I remember my last year, 1976, last home game of the ]

I remember that too!! It cost the team some points, but the crowd gave a standing ovation for several minutes.

Re: Another true clemson basketball story

Feb 18, 2019, 12:39 PM

It was sometime after 1974 when David Thompson finished NCSU. During one game in the playoffs on the way to the National Championship,David got a breakaway and you could just feel that he was going to dunk it. He did and the crowd absolutely went wild. The score was such that the technical had no effect.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David Thompson was the greatest college basketball player

Feb 18, 2019, 1:50 PM

I ever saw. It was almost an honor to watch him play in person. I've seen taller players who could jump higher than DT, but I've never seen anyone who could hang at the apex of his jump the way Thompson could. It was uncanny and remarkable.

Clemson actually beat NCSt in Littlejohn when Thompson was a senior---Monty Towe and Tim Stoddard were already gone.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: David Thompson was the greatest college basketball player

Feb 18, 2019, 3:39 PM

I remember the incident but didn't remember who the player was that dunked the ball during warmups.

I believe it was Thompson's senior year when we defeated NC State, I don't remember the NC State coach but he had Thompson playing outside and he was never a factor in the game. I thought that was one of the stupidest coaching decisions I've ever seen.

Anyone remember that?

In one game, during a dunk, the glass backboard broke and the game was delayed until they could clean up all the glass and replace the backboard.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: David Thompson was the greatest college basketball player***

Feb 18, 2019, 9:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2019, 10:04 PM [ in reply to David Thompson was the greatest college basketball player ]

Isn't hanging at the apex of a jump similar to a Doberman Pinscher being able to change directions in midair?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 7:48 AM [ in reply to David Thompson was the greatest college basketball player ]

FWIW: I think David Thompson got into early foul trouble in our game, and sat on the bench most of that game. It was almost like we beat NCSU without DT.

Thompson's dunk on TV against UNC-C and Lee Rose's team...

Feb 18, 2019, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Another true clemson basketball story ]

He did get the "T" called. The place exploded, and even the 49er players high-fived him for it. The only other Sky-Walker TV remembrance was when DT hit his knee on Phil Spence's head going for a rebound and landed flat on his back. Remember, Spence was 6'8". The same game Tommy Burleson came alive and scored 38.

When Thompson was injured after tripping over Spence,

Feb 18, 2019, 2:53 PM

he lay on the floor without moving for quite a while....there was not even a whisper amongst the packed fan base......but when he came back out of the locker room with that huge white bandage wrapped around his head....you couldn't hear the announcers.

One of the most dramatic moments in the history of college bball

BTW---Phil Spence was from Garner NC just a few miles down the road from Raleighwood. He coached the Garner HS team for a few years, but have no idea where he is now

Re: When Thompson was injured after tripping over Spence,

Feb 19, 2019, 7:52 AM

Oops - my bad memory thought DT got in foul trouble before I read your post. You're probably correct. I mostly just remembered that DT did not play a lot in that game. Glad someone can remember stuff like that.

Feb 18, 2019, 1:13 PM

I believe you but, I just don't see how he got away with that bc the dunk wasn't done during the regulation time of the game. That would be like us winning the game by 1, and a player dunk the ball after the game was over, and they give the opposing team the win!!! ???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2019, 1:52 PM

Much like a baseball coach at the lineup card exchange...Coach says to Ump.." Man, did you go to the eye doctor after yesterday's game?"... He get thrown,i.e., a technical...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2019, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Another true clemson basketball story ]

It was technical foul if you dunked even in pregame warmups at the time. By rule if it was called, the T FT’s were taken prior to tip off.

That was the rule, no dunking in warmups either or refs would

Feb 18, 2019, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Another true clemson basketball story ]

assess a technical foul and award two free throws to the other team, to start the game. If I remember correctly, even after they reinstated the dunk, it was still not allowed in warmups for a couple more years!

What I wish would be banned now is all the unnecessary hanging on the rim, and grabbing the rim. I could easily dunk in my high school and Clemson years, and I never once grabbed the rim!

The rules state that the player should only hang on the rim if he is being undercut, but it is hardly ever enforced!

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 2:03 AM

Loved watching David Thompson. Elbows above the rim . and drop the ball down :)

Only ACC refs could do that, and think it was right.***

Feb 19, 2019, 7:23 AM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic