Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Am I reading this right that Brad wasn't offered an ext
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,902

Am I reading this right that Brad wasn't offered an ext

Mar 28, 2017, 9:23 PM

so he has only three years left on his deal? Is that right? Seems strange to have a coach recruiting in that situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Am I reading this right that Brad wasn't offered an ext

Mar 28, 2017, 9:24 PM

I think so.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes - no extension. Seems like a tough position for a coach

Mar 28, 2017, 9:33 PM

to be in. Certainly not a vote of confidence.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

really really strange to be in this position

Mar 28, 2017, 9:36 PM

that's obviously going to be brought up on the recruiting trail

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We agree, but what's your take . . . why do you suppose

Mar 28, 2017, 10:26 PM

DRad retained him without offering that extension, and putting Brownell and the program in a bad position?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Seems pretty clear...

Mar 28, 2017, 10:29 PM

Win next season, or you're done. You have your players, your system, etc..., now win. If you don't succeed, no huge setback regarding recruiting. The new guy would be recruiting his guys for his style anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Agreed

Mar 28, 2017, 10:31 PM

Guess it's put up or shut up time

I agree too, but I guess what I'm asking is why did he even

Mar 28, 2017, 10:43 PM

bring him back under those circumstances? Why not go ahead and make the move? When everyone knows it's do-or-die for a coach, it puts tremendous pressure on coaches and players, not to mention kills recruiting and sets us just another year behind in that regard.

- H. L. Mencken

I felt that way but I've changed my mind

Mar 28, 2017, 11:15 PM

new coach could bring some of his current recruits with him. And with all the transfers these days you can fill a roster spot for a year quickly.

Only one way it hurts us IMO. And that's if we shock everyone and make a run to the tourney. Signing day is in November so the class would already be set.

If Brad is gone after next year, and with no transfers(we know someone will bolt at some point), new coach would inherit:

PG-Mitchell, Sr/Hudson, Sr
SG-Reed, Sr/Trapp, So
SF-Oliver, So, Spencer, Jr
PF-Skara, Sr/Simms, So/William, So
C-Thomas,Sr

Plus any recruits or transfer ins

Could be worse. That second year replacing five seniors would be the real challenge. That team, as is, has some talent

Message removed by Author

Mar 29, 2017, 6:05 AM [ in reply to I agree too, but I guess what I'm asking is why did he even ]

Message removed by Author

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe Brownlee convinced DRad...

Mar 29, 2017, 6:10 AM

Brownell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question only he can answer

Mar 29, 2017, 8:02 AM [ in reply to I agree too, but I guess what I'm asking is why did he even ]

it's not a good situation for the coach or program.

Re: Yes - no extension. Seems like a tough position for a coach

Mar 28, 2017, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Yes - no extension. Seems like a tough position for a coach ]

Imagine rival recruiters using that fact against us. It's not like Brownell ever was a great recruiter. Selling Clemson Basketball is going to be tougher.

Mar 28, 2017, 9:36 PM

He can't recruit anyway, do you really think it matters?

it does matter....when you're in a battle for a player

Mar 28, 2017, 9:38 PM

and there's one strike against you it never helps and this is a big deal to not have at least a four year deal.

Mar 29, 2017, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Am I reading this right that Brad wasn't offered an ext ]

Not really! When you use Drads core standards as a guide, we only recruit good academic kids who have some basketball skills.

I gotta say Drad was in a tuff spot.......

Mar 29, 2017, 1:30 AM

If he gives extension he gets criticized for keeping coach that will never produce, if he doesn't extend same folks criticize for not extending. Massive complaining about lower tier talent because BB can't draw'em in, and now complaining because he can't draw'em in with no extension.

Folks, you can't have it every way. Either all in or wait and see. Drad seems to be saying wait and see. It is only fair to every one involved, or likely to be involved, he make it known and not pretend all is right with the world......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I gotta say Drad was in a tuff spot.......

Mar 29, 2017, 10:25 AM

Drad put himself in this spot by not extending Brownells contract as a vote of confidence and
Still keeping him. Either make a change or make a firm commitment to Brownell.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,902
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic