Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alston/Jenkins v. NCAA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 2,452

Alston/Jenkins v. NCAA

Jan 1, 2019, 7:28 AM

Still no verdict on this case. This case could potentially alter collegiate sports in a way we haven't seen before. Should have something by the end of January.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alston/Jenkins v. NCAA

Jan 1, 2019, 7:51 AM

Thanks for the post Philo. Not being too familiar with this, I did a search and found an SI article.

(https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/04/alston-v-ncaa-trial-news-updates-ncaa-cost-attendance)

Long read, but enlightening!

Two thoughts from me.

1) What power wielded by one Judge Wilkens!

2) I am probably one who will lose interest if players are paid/‘incentivized’.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Me too. It would be the end of college sports as we know it.

Jan 1, 2019, 8:18 AM

College athletes on scholarship get a free education, and enough contacts from their university of choice to have job opportunities for the rest of their lives. Again, the percentage of college athletes with a professional career in their college sport is less than 1%. The only thing I could see is allowing "one and done" college players in all sports.

I just don't see a major shift in college athlete status. What I could see is a "minor league" football, similar to the NBA and MLB, where you can go from high school to a professional organization with minimal pay until you prove yourself to rise up to the NFL similar to MLB and somewhat similar to the NBA. This would draw a relatively small percentage of high school players, as the professional teams would only provide this opportunity to players that clearly show promise for the NFL.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me too. It would be the end of college sports as we know it.

Jan 1, 2019, 8:47 AM

Yeah and that’s stupidity. It’s ruined college baseball and affected college basketball. Allowing this would mean never seeing a TL or Tua, or JRoss Tee etc. a college football game would turn into a scene like the bowls. Metal stands everywhere.

If anything it should be eliminated in all collegiate sports and mandatory to be minimum of three years removed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me too. It would be the end of college sports as we know it.

Jan 1, 2019, 3:52 PM [ in reply to Me too. It would be the end of college sports as we know it. ]

I consistently find myself going back and forth on this issue. I think they should be paid, but at the same time, I think it could ruin the sport. I am fascinated with how this case will turn out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 2,452
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic