Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alabama - Rushing vs rush D ranks, game keys
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Alabama - Rushing vs rush D ranks, game keys

Dec 24, 2017, 11:48 AM

Discussing game keys, I feel like a lot has been made of our increased chances of success in the rush attack against this Bama D, as well as our own stout run stopping abilities. Looking at numbers though, are we overestimating this?

Bama: 3rd in rush D, 8th in rush O
Clemson: 13th in rush D, 31st in rush O

I know we have given up garbage time yardage, but I would assume Bama has too in their early blowouts? What say you guys? Who’s the best rushing attack Bama has played this year?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi State at No. 14 and Auburn at No. 22***

Dec 24, 2017, 11:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Throw the stats out the window. Giving Saban a month...

Dec 24, 2017, 11:58 AM

...to gameplan for a game eliminates most or all of the perceived gaps between Clemson and Alabama.

Next Monday's game will be decided by execution and how the ball bounces, nothing else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't buy that.

Dec 24, 2017, 12:27 PM

In the two previous playoffs Bama and Clemson blew out their first round opponents. I think it's obvious neither gave that entire month to prepare for just the first team they faced.

Imo, both coaches had accurate evaluations on who the opponent in the final game would be so I'd call that "Giving Saban a month.." a insult to Dabo, Jeff, Tony and Brent. It's concluding that Saban is that much better than the best which I think is a media fabricated illusion. They keep saying it and finally people start to believe it.

We've done pretty well in the first rounds of the playoff too. Does the media give Dabo and our coaching staff credit for having a month to prepare for OSU (31-0) or OU (37-7)? I don't even wonder why not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which part don't you buy? (specifically)...

Dec 24, 2017, 1:00 PM

1. That the stats should be thrown out the window, or

2. That the game result will be decided by execution and how the ball bounces?

Neither of those are controversial points...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or maybe that a month gives saban an advantage

Dec 24, 2017, 3:34 PM

I think we have the advantage coaching wise. This game will prove it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: or maybe that a month gives saban an advantage

Dec 25, 2017, 11:56 AM

Nope, didn't say he gets an advantage, just that it would tend to eliminate perceived gaps between Clemson and Bama due to ability to gameplan. Dabo has the same advantage.

This is another "pick-em" game between Clemson and Bama, even though Clemson appears to be in a better position this year going in.

Tell’em Coot***

Dec 24, 2017, 12:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tell’em Coot***

Dec 24, 2017, 12:13 PM

Did you really TD me for discussing stats? I get the overall impression that Bama’s D is down, just trying to reconcile the numbers!

Re: Alabama - Rushing vs rush D ranks, game keys

Dec 24, 2017, 12:11 PM

We have played 7 top 50 rushing Ds they have played 4. I think that has a little to do with it.

Bingo. Always have to put stats in perspective

Dec 24, 2017, 1:37 PM

Otherwise someone like South Carolina might look like a good team because they had 8 wins, for example. In reality, they may be worse than some teams with 6 wins.

Re: Bingo. Always have to put stats in perspective

Dec 24, 2017, 2:02 PM

Very true. Tho they are one of the top 50 rushing Ds. Their O is not good though. Bentley has receivers but he is just not that good.

Dec 24, 2017, 12:28 PM

You are right to be concerned. This game will be closer than a lot of people on Tigernet and some of the national pundits think.

They will play ball control and pound our defensive front while trying to throw over the top of the defense and give hurt some room to run around. They have 4 great running backs, so they will be fresh. This will impact our D.

While I agree that they haven't played a tough schedule, they will be the most formidable rushing offense and defense that we will have seen this year. They are as talented, if not more talented than Auburn.

The great thing about this is that we have the horses to stop their run, but our starting d-line will have to have plenty of breaks, and the backups better be ready to go.

In other words, our O better keep getting 1st downs.***

Dec 24, 2017, 3:14 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 24, 2017, 3:17 PM

We've played 3 triple option teams and Lamar Jackson, so of course they will skew our rush defense a little.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic