Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rod Gardner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 3,016

Rod Gardner

Feb 6, 2016, 5:20 AM

He was THE clutch receiver. '99 vs USUC and of course 2000. I don't know why I just thought of him but he was a bad ###. He lived down the street from me at Clemson place and I remember when he got in a fight with Glenn Roundtree at practice and body slammed him...or maybe that was Domarco Fox.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahh yes..."The Catch"

Feb 6, 2016, 5:40 AM

Wasn't Jeff Scott the holder for the subsequent kick "heard round the world"?

Re: Ahh yes..."The Catch"

Feb 6, 2016, 5:50 AM

He was. Back then they had that trick play when Jeff Scott would throw the ball over his shoulder to the kicker. They also pulled off one against VT that year when they threw one to Vine Ciurciu. It was him or Pat Cyrgalis who later went on to kill it at lb for Boston College.

Re: Ahh yes..."The Catch"***

Feb 6, 2016, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Ahh yes..."The Catch" ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Ahh yes..."The Catch II"

Feb 6, 2016, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Ahh yes..."The Catch" ]

Never forget Jerry Butler's CATCH!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Rod Gardner

Feb 6, 2016, 7:45 AM

I was a safety patrol in the fourth grade when President Kennedy was shot, more than 50 years later the memory is vivid. Same for the catch, I could go back to the exact spot that my daughter and I were standing in the south upper deck. I remember going on the field and the smiles on all the faces.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2016, 7:50 AM

I played in a golf tourney with him last Oct in Atl. great guy, humble. I mentioned the catch to him and how it will always be remembered. I also told him that he did NOT push off.

YeP..my 80 yr old Mother & I watched The Kick outside DV Stadium

Feb 6, 2016, 8:28 AM

After leaving upper decks minutes earlier due to Coots scoring earlier & their seemingly 10,000 fans going hyper to the level we feared for our lives...

So while walking to car near old Fike Gym bldg we stopped at a group's tent setup with TV on via generator..and lo & behold actually saw The Catch 400 yds away from stadium..but outside!

Cool since we were 1st fans to get out Of Clemson late that night..headed to Charlotte area, but happy & grinning all the way!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIL Bill is the type of fan that buys a ticket for $100+ and

Feb 6, 2016, 8:30 AM

doesn't stay for the whole game.

dang RobertN..I just sent this post off & you

Feb 6, 2016, 8:38 AM

Already have commented..which shows me you are awake, or alert, or have nothing going on in your dismal life at 8:30am this February 6th Saturday morn..

OR, I still have that charisma for the written word as I did back in 1965 as Sports Writer for The TiGER student newspaper.

PS: don't let Hartins know about this bragging since he too was a writer, then Chief, then Editor! LoL.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was on the pot.***

Feb 6, 2016, 9:15 AM

LBB - - did your Tiger articles end early too since you

Feb 6, 2016, 9:50 AM [ in reply to dang RobertN..I just sent this post off & you ]

weren't there to see them - doo to leaving early ?

Kinda liked leaving your reader in suspense as to how it ended - like a good murder mystery ????

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I was in a sports bar in Myrtle Beach surrounded by uscjr

Feb 6, 2016, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Rod Gardner ]

fans and they were getting rowdy after they took the lead.
Before they kicked off, I said we'd complete a long pass and kick the winning field goal.
As soon as we lined up for the kick, the waitress brought me my check--she knew it was time for me to get out of there! After THE CATCH they were really upset and I was loving it.
Go Tigers!!

Feb 6, 2016, 9:11 AM

And Rod could throw a football 80 yards and could have probably played on the basketball team. He was a great athlete, a great player, and has really turned into a great guy all around.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2016, 9:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtVKOiQGO4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2016, 11:36 AM

Woody D. threw that ball a long way to get it to Rod.

He and Youngblood used to come out and play pool at

Feb 6, 2016, 11:14 AM

Jefferson Commons (can't remember what they call it now) in Central in the sweet gameroom that we had. They both had their own pool cues and gloves, and with arms as long as theirs, they were hard to beat.

Replies: 16
| visibility 3,016
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic