Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
....Agree or disagree ......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

....Agree or disagree ......

Jun 6, 2019, 9:35 PM

I’m sure that I spend far to much of my ‘valuable’ time thinking into the future but on occasion I puzzle myself with my thoughts about important things like College sports and Clemson football in particular. Most recently I have thought a lot about our beloved football coach and the impact that he has had on not just Clemson football but college football as a whole. It should be obvious to anyone who follows the game that coach Dabo is a very special talent. What he has done in Death Valley in a short time is amazing. Most, but not all, know that he has developed a championship program by doing things the RIGHT way. He has proven that it can be done. He has proven that you can bring young men of different backgrounds in to the right environment and educate them, help them grow into manhood, and send them into the real world ready to succeed whether it be the NFL or the business world.

My question is .... will Coach Swinneys approach to the game catch on in the college football world and, over time, change the way the game is played? Will his total philosophy become the norm? Academics, Family, personal development, off field activities, and a host of other things have become the accepted way at Tigertown. Others try it but not all are successful. Potentially many promising young coaches go through the Clemson program every year and you know that they will adapt all the positives from their mentor.

I can see our guy changing the entire landscape of college football in the future. All the remarks about Dabo are big time positive. Of course, there will always be those who try to gain an advantage and bend the rules but that number may shrink when the college football wakes up and sees that it can be done and done in a great way by men who aspire to be great coaches and great developers of tomorrow’s leaders.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there are already people trying to mimic it.

Jun 6, 2019, 9:38 PM

I believe Dabo is the real deal. But I will say there are those, not just coots, who are watching, licking their chops hoping he does something wrong. Then it will justify to themselves the wrong way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ....Agree or disagree ......

Jun 6, 2019, 9:39 PM

No, I don’t think things will change much. Few coaches have Dabo’s personality. Can you see Saban trying Dabo’s approach to coaching

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 9:45 PM

I was thinking of the future young men who will become head coaches. I’m not foolish enough to believe that these ‘veteran’ coaches will adapt to Dabos approach to the game. Changing the mind of those like Saban or Myers etc likely will not happen! The point being .... you can do it right and still be the best!

Jun 6, 2019, 10:11 PM

We'll always have weeds alongside the wheat.

Jun 6, 2019, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: ....Agree or disagree ...... ]

There will always be SEC schools plus Ohio State, Michigan, etc. that will want to win at all costs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 7, 2019, 4:11 AM [ in reply to Re: ....Agree or disagree ...... ]

He prolly ought to , seeing that Dabo's way has surpassed his way .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Interesting thoughts, FT. Years ago, a friend from Alabama

Jun 7, 2019, 4:24 AM

opined that one of the reasons for Bear Bryant's continued success was that his former players were becoming high school coaches and training their players to play Bear Bryant football. Then, Bama would recruit them, filling their ranks with kids skilled with his type of play.

True or not, it was food for thought. I believe a dynamic, successful leader in any enterprise will affect others' approaches to leadership. Hence, no doubt, Dabo's success will have a positive effect, which will be multiplied by his continued success.

I just returned from an extended trip to visit relatives in Houston and south Texas, including a large wedding of a young cousin. All the talk among those UT and Texas A&M alumni and fans was about Clemson's success and their admiration of Dabo and our staff. The most common comment: we wish our coaches and staff would be more like Clemson's. That made me think that sometimes there are both trickle down and trickle up effects from great leadership.

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 6:40 AM

Dabo Swinney is very unique within his profession. There are very few D1 college football coaches (especially young coaches) that share his values and strong beliefs. There are also very few universities that would allow someone like Dabo Swinney to freely and openly be himself like he is. It's hard to operate Dabo's way at the D1 level without actually being Dabo at Clemson.

The short answer to your question is "ain't no way!"

Sure, some departing assistants will be influenced and take some elements with them. Others coaches will copy things done at Clemson. But overall, major college football will not be affected.

Dabo is an outlier. Not only will he remain so, the gap will grow.

That all said, he isn't the only coach that puts some emphasis on life after/besides football.

Being a CFB fanatic, I always ponder and study..

Jun 7, 2019, 7:11 AM

different facets of the game similar to the very question FT posed. Right now in college football, I would suggest that there are two other coaches doing it the right way and in a similar fashion as Dabo.

Chris Peterson: he made Boise a formidable team lower star talent. Since his arrival at Washington he has made them a contender with just a little better talent but still lacking star power in comparison to other schools.

PJ Fleck: he won D2 Championships at Wyoming and now at Minnesota. Not sure if he can make Minn a contender or not but he coaches with some of the same mantras and techniques that Dabo uses. He loves his players, wants to make them better men and he gets more out of less star power.

There may be a couple of others but I have always been impressed by these two and thought they do it the right way.

Jun 7, 2019, 7:18 AM

Most coaches' heads would explode if they tried to do things Dabo's way. They have been conditioned their entire lives to win at all costs, and cheating is acceptable. Abusing the young men by playing them while hurt, etc is also normal for them. So NO, it won't change a thing. But, maybe in a few years of watching the CLEMSON dynasty grow, then the younger generation of coaches will make things better. They just need to clamp down on the SECondplace conference a lot more to help a little.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic