Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Braves Luke Jackson: Serious Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Braves Luke Jackson: Serious Question

Oct 4, 2019, 10:42 AM

Why is this guy still on the team, much less the playoff roster (over Teheran I might add). This isn’t just about what happened yesterday. He’s been terrible the last two years. What does the team see in this guy that I’m missing? Is he just a really good “clubhouse guy” that they want to keep around?

He’s constantly blowing games and even if he’s not giving up the lead he’s making it way too interesting. I know Teheran isn’t accustomed to coming out of the bullpen but this guy is terrible at it. Teheran could at least match his effectiveness plus give you a long inning guy if needed. I just don’t get it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Braves Luke Jackson: Serious Question

Oct 4, 2019, 10:45 AM

I'm with you. If he's such a good clubhouse guy then keep him in the clubhouse. I would imagine now that Martin is out Teheran will be called up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Oct 4, 2019, 10:48 AM

Tehran has already been given the commissioners exemption and is back on the roster after the Martin injury.

There's absolutely no reason Luke Jackson should be on a major league roster, he's ineffective, inconsistent, and a liability to the team. It's mind blowing how he keeps getting the chance to go out there. Though Melancon throwing hanging curves as strikes with 0-2 counts was pretty awful as well.

Melancon has been a mixed bag since arriving...

Oct 4, 2019, 11:43 AM

He always seem to struggle to get batters out even when he has his good stuff.

His pitch selection last night when he was way ahead in the count was puzzling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Melancon has been a mixed bag since arriving...

Oct 4, 2019, 6:13 PM

BigCUFan® said:

He always seem to struggle to get batters out even when he has his good stuff.

His pitch selection last night when he was way ahead in the count was puzzling.

Last night was the worst I've seen out of Melancon in a Brave uniform....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree Jackson was disappointing but not sure

Oct 4, 2019, 11:11 AM

I've never made a dime as a baseball manager, but...

Oct 4, 2019, 11:39 AM

if it was up to me, I'd take my chances with Teheran out of the bullpen rather than Luke Jackson.

Of course, Teheran hasn't looked too good in his last few outings either.

While the Braves bullpen continues to struggle, that was only part of the problem last night. Albies and Donaldson going a combined 0 for 8 at the plate certainly didn't help.

Acuna loafing to first base on a bloop hit to right, which should have been a two base hit, cost the Braves a critical run as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I've never made a dime as a baseball manager, but...

Oct 4, 2019, 1:52 PM

Oh I agree. I’m no expert which is why I’m trying to figure out what I’m missing with Jackson. This is more than about just last night. He’s shown me nothing for two years.

It wasn’t all on him. That game had all sorts of nonsense from several players. I’m hoping that was just an inexperienced playoff team still learning....

I liner off the wall is not a

Oct 4, 2019, 2:05 PM [ in reply to I've never made a dime as a baseball manager, but... ]

bloop hit...

but yes, should have been standing at 2nd

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teheran can give you some long innings all right.

Oct 4, 2019, 12:18 PM

The other team scoring a bunch of runs certainly stretches out an inning. I don't think that's what you meant, though. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2019, 1:04 PM

18 saves - better era than Melancon - pitched in way more games than any other reliever

Oct 4, 2019, 2:12 PM

He went 9-2 this year over 70 relief appearances (72.2 IP), finishing 35 games with a team-leading 18 saves on the season (Melancon was second-best with 11). His 3.24 FIP suggests his 3.84 ERA is a bit inflated based on how he's pitched. He's got a pretty good strikeout to walk ratio (106:26) for the season and more than one strikeout per inning pitched. He's certainly worthy of a roster spot based off how he's pitched this year, and even more than that, worthy of the spot he pitched in last night, based off how others in the bullpen have under-performed down the stretch (and throughout the rest of the season).

Good Question...***

Oct 4, 2019, 6:12 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic