Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many recruits seek a "coveted" Clemson offer but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,796

How many recruits seek a "coveted" Clemson offer but...

Apr 2, 2019, 6:39 PM

...decide to go elsewhere. Is that like seeking out the hottest girl knowing you will not show up after she agrees to go on a date with you?

Kind of odd that a Clemson offer is sometimes a merit badge some recruits desperately want as some form of validation.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree***

Apr 2, 2019, 6:51 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^true - and I think some get an offer as recognition of

Apr 2, 2019, 6:55 PM

their work and ethic. may not be committable at the time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many recruits seek a "coveted" Clemson offer but...

Apr 2, 2019, 7:33 PM

Great question ClemBert Clemson has joined the group of schools who: "if they offer you, you are X-star a player"! Or the way I understand it; the names of the schools you who offer you plays into what star ranking you have!
So, yep! They covet a Clemson offer something fierce. Some of those recruits who are ranked high anyway, w/o a Clemson offer still want it. Their problem is our coaching staff doesn't care about some services rankings. They go by what they see when they meet the young man. Then, if their upside and willingness to learn and get better is there: "they get a coveted CU offer"! Even if you're a 2 star(Grady Jarrett - pro bowler - new fat contract).

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was in school, a Clemson offer meant very little.

Apr 2, 2019, 7:39 PM

These are good times. Good times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Apr 2, 2019, 7:44 PM

Thought this was a repost as I remember the exact thing being said not to long ago but, it's more like wanting that Clemson offer and then telling UGA or Tennessee that you want more than they've offered (bargaining chips). Or maybe they just want it because it's a big time offer and it makes them happy. Always amazed me people can't wrap their head around it that not every 18 year old athlete wants to be in Clemson.. Some kids just change their mind.

Bad analogy. The recruit is the “pretty girl”

Apr 3, 2019, 7:35 AM

Let’s start by assuming all these young men mean well, and they have many people giving them input on everything they do, and they are just doing the best they can.

The only people I hear talking about the “coveted” Clemson offer is the Clemson media. And are they (the recruits) suppose to fall to the ground? Throw their hands to heaven? Thank God they were born and commit instantly?

It’s like this: A buddy of mine who works for a small startup (just raised $35 million in C round founding) was recently offered a lucrative marketing position with a big time tech company here in the Bay Area. And he said no because it didn’t fit where he was with his career and where he wanted to go. Sure it was life-affirming to be sought out and offered, but he just didn’t want it.

Apr 3, 2019, 9:50 AM

Incredibly, we have achieved exactly the vision that Dabo put forth 10 years ago, where other programs aspire to be like Clemson, not the other way around. I don't recall recruits clamoring to receive a Bama offer, because those are given out by the hundreds, although most are probably not committable. The fact that Dabo does not hand offers out like candy has made recruits (and rating services) sit up and take notice. I (and recruits now as well) honestly believe that lack of a Clemson offer, if highly rated, sends recruiting services digging for some character flaw, or other reason that the offer has not come, for those kids who are in our natural recruiting areas. What a great position to be in, to have highly talented kids lobbying to attend your school.

But, as in past years, as Ricky Bobby would say, finishing second is just first loser. We have to close on the ones we really want, and 2020 is shaping up to be the possibly best ever year for that. Hope we get multiple commitments at the Spring Game this weekend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 10:17 AM

I failed to read your last paragraph before I tu'd you. All the good things you said were completely undone by your last comments. I think Dabo's recruiting plan has worked darn good to date. He will never prostitute himself for the sake of signing a hot shot that does not check all of his boxes. JMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 4:38 PM

Exactly what I said? I don't get what you found offensive in the last paragraph, I was merely noting that Dabo has a huge crop of kids looking like they will commit to us, that check all his boxes, for 2020.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,796
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic