Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Howard Shultz
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

Howard Shultz

Jan 31, 2019, 4:10 PM

After reading some of positions I look forward to hearing more from him and do hope he runs be it as an Independent or Democrat. Though he sounds like he is not leaning to running as a DEM as he rightly states the current wing/platform has lost their itty bitty minds. Anyone the gets AOC/Warren in a tizzy is okay in my book along..

While no independent has ever won, I never thought Trump would be elected so anything is possible I guess. Given a choice between him and Trump, Shultz will garner my vote. He fits the fiscal quota and leans a bit left socially , you could say he is a white BHO. Trump's business accumen was wildly overstated unless you think going BK and screwing folks is a good practice. Shultz on the other hand has done well, has some decent things going on for employees at Starbucks and seems to genuinely care .

So what do you think of him running?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will Ross Perot the Democrats. I like him!***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:27 PM

Re: He will Ross Perot the Democrats. I like him!***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:40 PM

Given the choice of Trump, some whackadoodle from the left or Shultz I can honestly say I will vote for Shultz.

Say he doesn't run, are you voting (dem nominee) or Trump?***

Jan 31, 2019, 5:06 PM

Re: Say he doesn't run, are you voting (dem nominee) or Trump?***

Jan 31, 2019, 6:16 PM

If the DEMS run a whackadoodle like Warren, Daft Bernie or an AOC clone gonna sit it out. Still holding out hope that someone runs against Trump in the primary.

Burger King is not that bad***

Jan 31, 2019, 5:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Howard Shultz

Jan 31, 2019, 5:16 PM

It's Shultz for me if he decides to run. Well, unless the dems end up nominating a centrist who also wants to tackle the debt problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lulz....BHO "fit the fiscal quota"?***

Jan 31, 2019, 7:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lulz....BHO "fit the fiscal quota"?***

Jan 31, 2019, 8:05 PM

Yup, do tell what he went overtly leftist on that cost taxpayers pain? BHO was far more centrist than the current crop of whackadoodles you gotta admit.

Jan 31, 2019, 8:09 PM

One could make a very solid arguement that military adventures cost far more than anything BHO put forth. In both treasure and blood I might add. Wanna put a price tag on Afghanistan and Iraq, I would wager you my entire net worth that the military adventure number far outstrips anything BHO did on the social side here in the US.

Jan 31, 2019, 8:13 PM

In truth though I said Shultz fits the fiscal quota, so there is that to begin with first.

why do people on here try to play the literal card and

Jan 31, 2019, 11:31 PM

Ignore the implication of their words? Your sentence, taken at face value, implies that because he “fits the fiscal quota” and “leans a little left socially” (that’s another fantastically debatable point), he is a “white BHO”. If you meant differently, you should have chosen your words and syntax more carefully.

If the guy who increased the national debt by $8.6T dollars “fits the fiscal quota”, then we probably don’t have much more to discuss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why do people on here try to play the literal card and

Feb 1, 2019, 4:28 PM

Hmm, whole lots of words and still not answered the question , here I will try again. Name one thing that BHO put forth that came close to the costs of the wars/occupation/nation building? The lame old added to the debt does not cut it Obed, all President add to the debt and you really kinda gotta move out TARP, bailing out the banks and auto industry and financial houses. SO please educate me on just how BHO was so fiscally reckless. Hint, he was not and you have zip. You may not have liked him but he certainly was not financially reckless or enacted laws that raised taxes badly.

I'll lower the word count.

Feb 1, 2019, 4:36 PM

$8.6T

I don't care who did it, what party they're affiliated with, or why they did it.

It's not personal.

That's atrocious and not close to fiscally responsible.

Re: I'll lower the word count.

Feb 1, 2019, 4:44 PM

What percentage of that was outlays?

Feb 1, 2019, 4:44 PM

$8.6T....don't care.

Feb 1, 2019, 4:46 PM

In other words, you suck at math.

Debt grew slower under Obama than Reagan, HW, or W.

yawn. percent vs total dollar. common argument.

Feb 1, 2019, 4:56 PM

don't care. $8.6T

Re: yawn. percent vs total dollar. common argument.

Feb 1, 2019, 10:11 PM

Oh! So you REALLY don't understand math.

Re: yawn. percent vs total dollar. common argument.

Feb 2, 2019, 11:13 AM

$8.6T, don’t care.

Feb 2, 2019, 7:57 AM [ in reply to I'll lower the word count. ]

Still not answered a simple question. I'll help a bit on the debt since you lack any ability to even look up stuff you do not know. A good portion of the debt increase was from BHO putting the militaty adventure,occupations, nation building on the boooks so to speak. That is in addition to all the money spent taking over at the hieght of the Great Recession. NOW< name one thing he pushed through that cost severe pain to tax payers.

Feb 2, 2019, 11:13 AM

$8.6T, don’t care.

Feb 2, 2019, 11:43 AM

Then by your own admission you choose to believe in something based upon nothing. Stupid is no way to go through life,just saying.

Feb 2, 2019, 11:49 AM

Upon reflection I chose poorly on the word stupid. It should have been Ignorant instead, my apologies.

Jan 31, 2019, 7:47 PM

I am happy to see him enter, we need more voices in this next election. But even if he does shore up the center, 25% will go to trumps diehards, and possibly 20% from the left that refuse to put another billionaire into office. There is not a lot of wiggle room, and he would seriously have to lock up all of the moderate voters.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2019, 8:11 PM

In truth this country is in a dire need of a viable 3rd party. If for nothing more than to keep the established groups sorta honest.

Jan 31, 2019, 10:17 PM

This guy is a great example of how you don't have to be smart to become rich. I'm surprised the guy can string together a sentence. He hates government and taxes, but loves FDR. What a dope.

And he has said he's basically running to keep taxes low on the rich. His interview on NPR yesterday was so bad. He doesn't have even a basic understanding of issues. Once the race gets going (after this coming Christmas), he won't poll above 2%.

Is this a great country or what?

Jan 31, 2019, 11:39 PM

Only in America do guys look at other guys who could pay off their mortgage with a week’s worth of salary and immediately declare them to be barely literate. The guy has made billions selling crappy coffee to adoring masses. He has many things in spades over you, with intelligence being one of them.

and he opened the worlds largest chain of homeless shelters***

Feb 1, 2019, 12:37 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly, Schultz isn't a dolt

Feb 1, 2019, 2:17 AM [ in reply to Is this a great country or what? ]

but it's equally wrong to assume someone's intelligence based on how much money they have which you are dangerously close to echoing in your post.

I didn’t assume that at all.

Feb 1, 2019, 8:56 AM

I assumed that a successful billionaire is smarter than a guy who says said billionaire can barely string together a sentence.

That’s no leap at all.

do you know CU/Schultz or just basing opinion on wealth?

Feb 1, 2019, 2:23 PM

if it's the latter then you are basing your opinion on the fact that money = intelligence, which is problematic.

Why are you hung up on the wealth aspect?

Feb 1, 2019, 2:37 PM

I'm looking at business success. Yes, it's produced incredible wealth, but I care more about how he got there.

I'm a business owner--I don't know many stupid ones who do well. I especially know that you don't fall out of bed drooling and stupid and build a billion dollar company from the ground up.

If you still choose to believe that Starbuck's initial success was lightning in a bottle, and they succeeded despite his own IQ challenged stupidity, their continued success should persuade you otherwise. When you're successful, people come after you, copy you, and try to take your market share---he's fended them off. Are they all stupid too and this is just battle of the mentally challenged?

Why are you hellbent on playing devil's advocate against the basic statement that a guy who built one of the most successful companies in the US from the ground up probably is quite a bit smarter than "barely able to string a sentence together"?

This is so stupid it's not even worth discussing further.

Wow, didn't expect such a triggered response.

Feb 1, 2019, 2:48 PM

No where have I agreed with CU on this topic (in fact, I said Schultz clearly isn't stupid) so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I'm in any way agreeing with CU on Schultz' intelligence.

I'm not "hung up" on the wealth aspect other than to point out that wealth and intelligence aren't synonymous. There's rarely a causal relationship between the two but many tend to not understand that.

Schultz is clearly intelligent and especially so when it comes to business and his industry. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he's smart in policy or that his business savvy extends to politics.

Lol, and the "I triggered you" response. Like clockwork.

Feb 1, 2019, 2:56 PM

It's almost formulaic.

You say the first time "don't assume his intelligence based on his wealth".

I give a polite reply saying the fact that he is a successful (key word there, successful) billionaire probably means he rises above the mentally retarded level that CU17 associates him with.

Apparently that wasn't enough, as you come back with some pap that if I don't know him, I must think that money = intelligence, which aside from being a complete logical fallacy, again chose to focus on his wealth for some reason.

If you have Alzheimer's disease and forgot about asking me the same question already about the money aspect and getting a reasonable reply, then I apologize. If not though, you were just being a button pusher trying to be petty.

Re: Lol, and the "I triggered you" response. Like clockwork.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:26 PM

I love that you think I meant that he couldn't string a sentence together literally and you're trying to act superior to everyone else.

Man, you're something else.

Me? Acting superior? HAHAHAHA! Fantastic.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:39 PM

Please, tell me more wildly successful people that you are smarter than, Dr. Humble.

Here's a recap of our conversation:

Feb 1, 2019, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Lol, and the "I triggered you" response. Like clockwork. ]

You say it's a great country because only here can CU say that Schultz is an idiot even though Schultz has made billions off selling crappy coffee and then say that Schultz is smarter than CU, seemingly, only because he's made a billion dollars off selling crappy coffee. Maybe your intent was to focus more on the selling crappy coffee aspect and not the amount of money aspect?

So, in my response to this I first agree that Schultz clearly isn't an idiot, but that I picked up on your focusing on Schultz amount of wealth as saying he was smarter than CU which is using the idea that Schultz's extreme wealth must mean he is smarter than CU (or anyone else)which, to me, is faulty logic. Again, maybe you were really meaning to focus on the selling of crappy coffee to make the billions of dollars and not the money, itself, which I didn't pick up on. I could see that as being a better argument.

In your "I didn't assume post" you say that a successful billionaire is smarter than a guy that says the billionaire can't string together a sentence but the point of your argument here is focusing on Schultz immense wealth as evidence that he's smarter than CU so I'm not sure why you think I'm the one focusing on Schultz's wealth. I get your point that Schultz isn't an idiot, because an idiot wouldn't be able to become CEO of a company and I totally agree with this point. You can argue with CU about that point, as I'm not concerned with it. But using the logic that Schultz is "smarter" than someone else simply because he's wealthy is what I thought you were dangerously close to echoing.

I'll leave your more emotional bluster alone and end by asking, jokingly, are there 'unsuccessful' billionaires? (sounds like a great book: "The Unsuccessful Billionaire" by John Grisham)

It's fine, I think it's unconscious bias more than anything

Feb 1, 2019, 3:42 PM

else.

I'm coming from the angle of wanting to give the guy a break on assumptions of his intelligence based on his accomplishments.

You're wanting to avoid giving him a break based on his wealth.

Neither are wrong, just different approaches.

Re: Wow, didn't expect such a triggered response.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Wow, didn't expect such a triggered response. ]

I know he doesn't have a chance, but I'm hoping he kinda catches on just long enough to say more stupid stuff so I can just do the drive-by "lol remember when you guys said he wasn't stupid" posts.

Your moment will come, I am sure of it.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:04 PM

At some point or another, someone will ask him about proper wastewater treatment design, and he will fall on his face like a total buffoon. Just lay low, and wait him out....it's coming, it has to.

Re: Clearly, Schultz isn't a dolt

Feb 1, 2019, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Clearly, Schultz isn't a dolt ]

How is it clear?

In my time working in economic development, I've met lots of businessmen. I've seen some brilliant CEO's and I've met some who are remarkably stupid. One person doesn't run a business. The dumb one usually has a professional team around them to prop him up while he contributes nothing. Sometimes, the business succeeds despite him.

When discussing utilities one time with the President of a wet industry (meaning they use a lot of water) with almost 100 employees, he inquired about why he needed to either connect to public water or drill a well, as opposed to just pumping it directly out of the river. One of his underlings actually had to explain to him that his employees could not drink, nor could his machines tolerate dirty water.

That's bad enough, but after that, he brought up his river water idea at least 3 more times.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the CEO of a large industry in SC who got his company into a DHEC consent order because he decided that his business degree more qualified him to figure out how to redesign his wastewater treatment system than a team of engineers who specialize in wastewater. I'm not assuming he thought his business degree more qualified him, btw. He said it.

Rich doesn't equal genius. CEO doesn't equal genius.

the latter half of your first paragraph pretty much is Dabo.

Feb 1, 2019, 9:21 AM

I don’t think Dabo could X and O his way out of a paper bag, but he surrounds himself with people who can. That’s incredibly smart. That’s why they’re where they are and you’re where you are, feeling superior with 1/10000 of their net worth but an intricate knowledge of wastewater schematics.

Re: the latter half of your first paragraph pretty much is Dabo.

Feb 1, 2019, 9:27 AM

Wow. So you pull out the coots' go-to argument to make your d*ck look bigger on P&R. Pathetic.

You also degrade people who know a lot about wastewater schematics. Like, say, someone who went to an engineering school.

Can you crap on Clemson one more time before we wrap up here?

Lulz.....

Feb 1, 2019, 9:30 AM

Re: Lulz.....

Feb 1, 2019, 9:32 AM

You're the one who said Dabo is stupid and contributes nothing to Clemson and I'm the emotional one?

Keep digging, dude.

Hmmm, I read it this way.

Feb 1, 2019, 10:47 AM

Dabo is smart enough to know what he is good at and what his limitations are. Great leaders know that their intelligence is limited and are smart enough to hire people who compliment them. CEOs and poeple who run companies usually have a high level of social and emotional intelligence. That's the skill set that is needed for their role, it's not necessary that they be in the weeds with the details, otherwise they wouldn't be able to perform.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^gets it.***

Feb 1, 2019, 11:07 AM

Re: Hmmm, I read it this way.

Feb 1, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Hmmm, I read it this way. ]

But that's not what I said at all. I'm not talking about a self aware leader who understands his own limitations. I specifically said I was talking about someone who is dumb and contributes nothing.

I didn't leave it open to interpretation. Go back and read again.

You said..

Feb 1, 2019, 6:05 PM

"You're the one who said Dabo is stupid and contributes nothing to Clemson and I'm the emotional one?"

I was replying to you saying Obed said Dabo is stupid and contributes nothing to Clemson. You don't have to be the smartest person in the room to be the most effective or successful.

Being wealthy doesn't equate to intelligence. I do think successs in most cases does, I'll admit there are some cases of politics or favortism or just dumb luck, but usually someone that has made it to high levels of business has a pretty good head on their shoulders.

I don't know much about Schultz, but I'd wager he knows something about branding and marketing. I mean, we are talking about coffee, how do you differentiate yourself to the degree Starbucks has without knowing something.

On average, CEOs have the lowest EQ in companies

Feb 1, 2019, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Hmmm, I read it this way. ]

middle managers tend to have the highest. But great CEOs tend to have high EQ so you aren't completely wrong.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/07/heres-why-your-boss-lacks-emotional-intelligence?utm_content=bufferf4c3d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2015/01/06/why-your-boss-lacks-emotional-intelligence/#16661c2f142f

https://www.caldwellpartners.com/executive-search-industry-insights/why-executives-lack-emotional-intelligence-and-what-to-do-about-it-part-one/

Re: Hmmm, I read it this way.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Hmmm, I read it this way. ]

Neither of you have a clue what Dabo contributes to the gameplan.

So he hires good coordinators and that means he can’t coach? Has Saban not had some of the best in the country under him? You wouldn’t dare say he can’t coach.

The funny thing about Obed’s stupid statement is Dabo hasn’t even had a big name as an offensive coordinator. Look at the offensive gurus Saban has had the last few years....

Ooooh, let me play the straw man game.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:46 PM

So you're saying Elliott and Scott are just POS scrubs because they aren't big names? Man, what a jerk thing to say. You're saying Dabo has to hold their hand because they can't coach as well as Alabama's big name coaches? Man, are you a coot!!!

Re: Ooooh, let me play the straw man game.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:53 PM

You're trying so hard.

Re: Ooooh, let me play the straw man game.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Ooooh, let me play the straw man game. ]

Lakebum with the TU!

100% truth that I have no clue.

Feb 1, 2019, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Hmmm, I read it this way. ]

I do know that leadership is more than smarts and it's how you build and organization. Dabo has built a great organization and culture. He could know jack ##### about x's and o's and he's still super successful.

Re: 100% truth that I have no clue.

Feb 1, 2019, 8:11 PM

The point is understood but you could use any successful coach/ceo to make that point.

Obed’s exact quote was that DABO couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

You have to be a troll. You cannot be serious with that post***

Feb 1, 2019, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Lulz..... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the latter half of your first paragraph pretty much is Dabo.

Feb 1, 2019, 3:36 PM [ in reply to the latter half of your first paragraph pretty much is Dabo. ]

Wow what a coot.

You do realize millions of people derive their drinking

Feb 1, 2019, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Clearly, Schultz isn't a dolt ]

water from open rivers and reservoirs, right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do realize millions of people derive their drinking

Feb 1, 2019, 3:41 PM

Ok. This guy was talking about using raw water from a river that is fairly muddy.

Keep going, though. You might score a sick gotcha at some point.

Re: Is this a great country or what?

Feb 1, 2019, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Is this a great country or what? ]

Americans have such a bizarre worship of rich people.

You should read some Aesop

Feb 1, 2019, 8:53 AM

There’s a great story about sour grapes..

Don't know anything about him in particular, but

Feb 1, 2019, 6:13 AM

I like the idea of someone, anyone, coming in and getting a large percentage of the vote, who isn't Democrat or Republican. Maybe we're a couple of election cycles away from breaking free of those two.

I could support almost anyone that isn't Trump or a democrat

Feb 1, 2019, 6:18 AM

I would like to see someone that is fiscally responsible and not a doushebag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who are the fiscally responsible Republicans?

Feb 1, 2019, 10:01 AM

That ship sailed a long time ago. The Republican Mantra - "Cut taxes on the wealthy. Increase spending. Explode Deficits. Complain about entitlement spending and other spending on the poor and middle class."

"Deficits don't matter."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There certainly aren't many. I agree there should be massive

Feb 1, 2019, 1:40 PM

spending cuts. Taxes are too high for most everyone. Everybody should just pay a flat tax rate like we do sales tax and property tax.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any independent...

Feb 1, 2019, 8:15 AM

Who can shake the imbeciles on both sides, shows that they are a sane and decent person, and can remove this current orangutan from the White House, has my attention.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

He does not meet your criteria then.***

Feb 1, 2019, 9:32 AM

Too bad.

Feb 1, 2019, 9:33 AM

I admit, I haven't research him enough. But I'm always open to new possibilities.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Republicans who can't stomach Trump will have someone

Feb 1, 2019, 9:57 AM

to vote for. They won't vote for a Democrat.

This isn't going to help Trump, but the more the merrier!

Could be our first Independent POTUS or could be the DJT of

Feb 1, 2019, 11:14 AM

The Left.

I've been hearing a lot of talk among reasonable Lefties (Eric Weinstein being one) recently who understand that running on identity politics alone will doom the Dems in 2020, even if they don't face DJT. They made a huge mistake in abandoning Labor and embracing Socialism. That is not America. Not even Left-leaning America.

Shultz has a chance. I like how he's talking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's basically a more progressive Dem from 20 years ago

Feb 1, 2019, 1:18 PM

He doesn't "lean a bit left" socially. He's far left, and would continue the Democrats' slide into progressive extremism.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trying to understand how so many otherwise intelligent folks

Feb 1, 2019, 2:28 PM

seem to think an independent has a snowball's chance in Columbia of becoming POTUS.

Man, who thinks that?

Feb 1, 2019, 2:59 PM

I just think it's nice to see someone being civil and not pander to the fringes of either party.

It should be boring and the norm, but it's not.

It's making me actually like a guy who I probably agree with very little on ideologically.

After-reskimming the thread, at least one in here with

Feb 1, 2019, 3:17 PM

others saying they'll waste their vote for the guy.

Re: Trying to understand how so many otherwise intelligent folks

Feb 2, 2019, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Trying to understand how so many otherwise intelligent folks ]

It is not whether he has a chance Bobby, it is about breaking the 2 party system . I know you are not smart enough to grasp that idea .

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic