Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aero's home improvement question 1.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Aero's home improvement question 1.

Feb 4, 2019, 12:58 PM

Note, pending the inspector finding anything awful, I could sleep in this place on closing day and not die of black mold or meth. There is some of that awful wood paneling that I will want out. Concern is, some of it is around a fireplace.

What special hell will I find in trying to do this work?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on your previous choices for homes

Feb 4, 2019, 1:00 PM

I'm guessing a dead body

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

the lack of sheetrock where the paneling once was?***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:00 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and a dead body***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:01 PM

But no different materials or having to fuss with the

Feb 4, 2019, 1:03 PM [ in reply to the lack of sheetrock where the paneling once was?*** ]

fireplace itself? Just cut to size around the fireplace and dead bodies?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you worried about it catching on fire from the heat?

Feb 4, 2019, 1:08 PM

if so, drywall is a lot more fireproof than wood paneling

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't take advice from someone who's "fireplace"

Feb 4, 2019, 1:39 PM

is an old 55 gallon drum in the back yard.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I have 3 fire barrels. One o. Each side of the hog pit then

Feb 5, 2019, 9:39 AM

One in the edge of the woods. For trash.

High class white trash

Don't replace the paneling......

Feb 4, 2019, 1:07 PM

Just mud over the grooves, or better yet, put 1/4 inch drywall over the paneling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've really no idea if this is serious.***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:10 PM

absolutely serious, unless you like triple the work.***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, this is potentially exciting.***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:13 PM

actually that statement just applies to adding sheetrock.

Feb 4, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to absolutely serious, unless you like triple the work.*** ]

mudding the wall is probably similar levels of work.

It's for real.

Feb 4, 2019, 1:11 PM [ in reply to I've really no idea if this is serious.*** ]

Don't mud. Just get 1/4 sheetrock

But think of all of the money you will lose in

Feb 4, 2019, 2:04 PM [ in reply to I've really no idea if this is serious.*** ]

square footage with that extra 1/2" of wall everywhere....

And you won't be able to sell the wood paneling on Craigslist for thousands of dollars...

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

1/4 or 3/8 drywall would work over paneling but

Feb 4, 2019, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Don't replace the paneling...... ]

I would recommend tearing it out. It's easier to hang the rock when you can see the studs...also you will want to know what is behind the walls especially around the fireplace. Flashing around fireplace is a common area for roof leaks so he'll want to know if there is any wood rot back there. Also doesn't hurt to look for any sign of termite damage behind the walls or electrical wiring that isn't up to code.

Mudding over the paneling will not work. They'll expand and contract and the mud will just bust out everywhere. It's also a lot more work to float mud over all the grooves of the entire panel and get it smooth. A lot more work than just tearing it out and starting from scratch.

One thing i've learned from homeownership...don't cut corners because it will bite you in the a.ss at some point in time.

THIS^

Feb 4, 2019, 1:15 PM

plus, any irregularities in the panelling/ framing would be even more evident in thinner sheetrock.

it'd give you a better look at any wiring, too, and give you an opportunity to spruce it up a bit, if you wanted to

Man who makes money hand in hand with the business

Feb 4, 2019, 1:16 PM

of construction, meet practical lazy man.

You don't need to see the studs if the paneling is...

Feb 4, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to 1/4 or 3/8 drywall would work over paneling but ]

left in place. Screw the SR board straight to the paneling with 1" wood screws. Use 1/4" rock and you won't have too much trouble with the depth of the electrical boxes for the switches and outlets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

......after two coats of oil based Kilz.

Feb 4, 2019, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Don't replace the paneling...... ]

If you don't the mud won't stick for long. It will take three or four coats of mud to fill the grooves because you can't 'cap,' them like you do a drywall joint. There just isn't enough room between the joints.

If it was me I'd rent a 3" Ames nail spotter for that job. You can cut the time required to coat it by 95% if you know how to run the tool. I said, 'if it was me.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having done a lot of drywall jobs

Feb 4, 2019, 1:25 PM

That looks like a waste of money. Doing the bed joints is 95% of the effort. Screw beds are easy and take maybe 5 seconds per.

You've done a lot of drywall? Prove it.

Feb 4, 2019, 1:58 PM

¿Dónde hace tu primo para enviar el dinero a casa?

ohdamn***

Feb 4, 2019, 2:00 PM

One can 'bed,' a screw with a good 6" knife but...

Feb 4, 2019, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Having done a lot of drywall jobs ]

imo, the time it would take to leave enough mud on an 8' groove would be highly nonproductive. What width knife would you recommend to 'bed,' those grooves. Some of them are probably less than 6"s apart.

While I have your attention, how about telling me what you'd do with those 8' vertical joint which show up every 4' on a paneled wall? I'd also like to know how to 'hide,' them on a wall which is set perpendicular to a window wall too if you have time.

I'll be grateful for your advise.

The kilz will help fill the grooves too and the wood stain will bleed through the mud and some latex paints without it.

the paneling needs to be ripped out regardless

Feb 5, 2019, 8:48 AM

Those things are not made for holding drywall mud.

but for aero's sake if this is your first time doing drywall make it easy on yourself and use grid tape instead of paper tape for beginners ease. also do not use quick set (the powder stuff) because you'll f that up really easy. stick with premix all purpose mud. Watch a youtube video on how to mud. its not that hard but easy to mess up. get the following knife sizes (3", 5 or 6", 8 or 10" and 12") and a mud pan.

If this grid tape is easier to use, what is wrong

Feb 5, 2019, 8:58 AM

with it that pros would not use it?

then put a couple layers of wallpaper on top of that***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Don't replace the paneling...... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Different, but similar...

Feb 4, 2019, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Don't replace the paneling...... ]

I saw someone's house a few months back that the owner decided he wanted ship-lap in a room, and juts put it over the sheet rock.

BAD IDEA

The windows now had about an 1/8" of casing sticking out past the 3/8" thick ship-lap. The Door casings were the same. The ship-lap was almost even with the edge of the door casing.

I don;t know how they handled the electrical outlets and light switches; after the job i saw..longer screws to the fascia plates I would assume.

The baseboards were another story in murdering how ship-lap should look. They didn't remove the baseboards either, and attempted to match the beveled edge of the top of the baseboard with quarter round or something where it met the ship-lap. It looked horrendous. Yet the owner seemed quite proud of his "handy" work.

The moral of the story is that if you want different inside walls, remove the original wall covering first.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aero, a request, please

Feb 4, 2019, 1:08 PM

where is the link to this dwelling ?

I would like to see said wood paneling

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You trying to dox the man***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:09 PM

jes, jes, please to be linking***

I mean, it would not take too much to

Feb 4, 2019, 1:15 PM

figure out where it is. It is NOT one that I've shared already.

massive garage with a car hoist?

Feb 4, 2019, 1:30 PM

man, that was the one, there.

That one was in Sen-uh-ker, but the garage was the

Feb 4, 2019, 2:03 PM

#####.

even t e e t s is banded?

Feb 4, 2019, 2:04 PM

Lowered.

base coat of white paint

Feb 4, 2019, 1:38 PM

then orange tiger paws on top

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Are we just assuming here that all the

Feb 4, 2019, 1:42 PM

highliters in his used liquor bottle display are orange?

Re: Aero's home improvement question 1.

Feb 4, 2019, 2:13 PM

Are you replacing the awful wood paneling with somewhat better wood paneling?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bead board***

Feb 4, 2019, 2:22 PM

Well, I hate trying to find studs so I was going to just

Feb 4, 2019, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Aero's home improvement question 1. ]

leave it bare with a nice view of the pink panther insulation.

The lounge is full of studs.

Feb 4, 2019, 5:00 PM

According to what I'm reading.

I need to find this later.

Feb 5, 2019, 9:36 AM

aerozeptallica

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic