Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Advice on Clemson Class Ring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 401

Advice on Clemson Class Ring

Oct 31, 2018, 10:45 AM

I am graduating in December. I am in the process of ordering my Clemson Class Ring, so I have three questions that I need help on. What is the difference in the medium and large size class rings(it says medium is the most popular)? What is the difference in the antique and traditional metal finishes? Lastly, How does sizing compare to a normal band like a wedding band? Thanks in advance for all the help!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Advice on Clemson Class Ring

Oct 31, 2018, 10:49 AM

Never heard of an antique finish unless you’re talking about white vs yellow gold which to me was just personal preference but I got the yellow gold. I have normal sized hands and got the medium size and it fits well. Unless you have big hands, the larger size will likely dwarf your finger.

Pro tip: order it a half size bigger than you need because you’ll likely never be skinnier than you are at this moment (sorry to break it to you)

Oct 31, 2018, 10:55 AM

THIS ***

I would add, one of our buddies ordered the large and it looked ridiculous. Of course we were too kind to ever mention it (yes that's sarcasm). You need to be a big guy to pull off the large.

Oct 31, 2018, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Advice on Clemson Class Ring ]

Agree on that Pro-tip. I can barely ever put mine on now because I gained a little size from when I was in college to now, hard to get over my last knuckle now.

is it true they will resize for free?***

Nov 4, 2018, 10:41 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

repeat

Nov 4, 2018, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Advice on Clemson Class Ring ]

null

Message was edited by: TennesseeLadyTiger®

Oct 31, 2018, 10:51 AM

My hands are like meat hooks so I got the large. I'm 6'5" 220 lbs....so depending upon your size I would recommend large if you're a bigger guy. Rings are sized correctly, if I recall but you might want to order a half size larger for future consideration.

Congrats, btw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 31, 2018, 10:52 AM

Go to the Alumni Center on campus or visit their webpage. They will have all the info you need.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Unless you are a big gorilla do NOT order the big one

Oct 31, 2018, 10:54 AM

Think of the big size as being good for a OL or DL. Get the standard gold one.

p.s. Congratulations TIGER!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do yourself a HUGE favor

Oct 31, 2018, 10:58 AM

and go with the artificial center stone instead of the onyx.

The onyx tends to chip very easily. I have had to send my ring back to Balfour 3 times in 6.5 years.

Re: Do yourself a HUGE favor

Oct 31, 2018, 11:02 AM

The old heff-jones are worse... 4 times in less than two years. Chips and my favorite... the stone just falling out completely.

Mine was made by Jostens - have never had any..........

Oct 31, 2018, 12:30 PM

quality problems with it.

My advice is get the classic medium-sized ring - that's the one most people no matter their age will identify with.

Re: Mine was made by Jostens - have never had any..........

Oct 31, 2018, 12:56 PM

same here

^^^^this***

Oct 31, 2018, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Do yourself a HUGE favor ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Very good recommendation...

Oct 31, 2018, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Do yourself a HUGE favor ]

I've had to replace the stone in my Herff Jones ring at least three times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 31, 2018, 11:00 AM

Be aware that the Tiger's snout may irritate the side of your middle finger until it wears down a little.

Oct 31, 2018, 11:01 AM

I have small/medium sized hands (short but thicker fingers)... for someone who is 6'3". The "medium" sized ring is still fairly freakin' big. Sizing should be "large" and "illegal". It still feels like I could inadvertently kill a coot by shaking their hand with this "medium' ring, but I have never found a clean coot hand to shake.

Antique I think has a darker "black" finish to the recessed details and that is just personal choice.

My only complaint is a non-factor now... as I was the last year of the Heff-Jones "glass rings"... ugg, those are garbage. The Balfor are a lot better.

Oct 31, 2018, 11:02 AM

If you point the large one at the Oculus, you can hear the alma mater playing in your head. And definitely get a half size bigger than you need, otherwise you'll have to resize it when you're 35. The ring's metabolism slows down at 30.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2018, 11:09 AM

On the sizing, mine came with a certificate guaranteeing lifetime sizing/repair. That was ‘81, so not sure that’s still offered. Haven’t needed any repairs (and not sure they could match the black onyx and gold letter/number insert), but I did resize. Didn’t send to Jostens, but took it to a local jeweler (very reputable, does good work), and had it resized. My name is in my ring (another good tip if it’s lost and found by someone honest), and the resizing doesn’t affect/distort the ######, when the resizing job is done well.

I say go with your current size. I personally hate an oversize ring - taping the inside to fit, etc. - and/or constantly twisting it to sit right on your finger.

$.02

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 31, 2018, 11:11 AM

About sizing up...

I personally would not do it. Having the ring resized is not that big of a deal and it is better than having the ring slip off... not to be found at the bottom of Hartwell. I get the sizing up idea, but I am in the other camp. I took that advice and had to have the ring resized the other way (make it smaller).

Then again, I am at my undergrad weight now at 35. I gained weight as a 25-27yo and then decided to "lose" it and have kept it off. Sizing up kinda worked and then it did not.

We need the Race to the Rock back for the pre-spring game activity. That was always my "goal" race. Oh, how I miss running the Issaqueena Trails...

Get the logic here

Oct 31, 2018, 12:04 PM

And 1 resizing is free but the more you do it, it weakens the band. That was my rationale for wishing I went a half size up. Currently in the process of getting back down to fighting weight so my ring fits again without having to get it resized.

But to clarify, don’t get it where it will fall off your finger now. Just don’t get the size where it’s a snug fit right now as you’ll probably gain a couple pounds when you can’t get to Fike at 2:00 in the afternoon anymore.

Oct 31, 2018, 11:29 AM

Unless you are a really big guy, the medium is plenty big enough. If you are smaller/thinner, the "traditional ladies ring" is really a small men's ring. (Nearly all women get the dinner ring.)

Traditional looks like metal. Antique is dark in the grooves so that the details "pop" better.

Oct 31, 2018, 11:38 AM

I may be backwards but I thought the antique finish leaves out the black and the details dont stand out as much as the standard as far as size the medium is big enough unless you have really large hands. I have an 04 Hreff Jones and had to send mine back once in 14 years for cracked onyx and the C peeling out. but repair was quick and easy and it comes back all clean and shined back up. I had a Dr. tell me shortly after I finished the best feeling is when the tigers nose wears down enough to stop grinding your middle finger. Congratulations on your accomplishment!!

Oct 31, 2018, 2:31 PM

You are backwards...antique has the black inside the details so it stands out more, natural is all metal, no blacks.

Don't....

Oct 31, 2018, 11:49 AM

...lose it! Best advice I can give you.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=149289

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't....

Oct 31, 2018, 2:08 PM

That's a really cool story you posted and amazing to see the ring from the '30's. It's amazing to see the tradition spanning back so many years. Awesome act for you to return it as well

You're going to miss the ring ceremony in two weeks !?!?!?!***

Oct 31, 2018, 12:05 PM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "large" is about the size of a Superbowl ring

Oct 31, 2018, 12:24 PM

The medium fits all but the OL/DL.

Don't size it up... you will have to do it eventually, but if you order it big, it will slip off a lot and you could easily lose it.

What are you paying? Mine cost around $100........

Oct 31, 2018, 12:32 PM

if I remember correctly in the fall of 1976.

I just paid for my daughters ring...

Oct 31, 2018, 12:43 PM

and it was almost $800.

Re: What are you paying? Mine cost around $100........

Oct 31, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to What are you paying? Mine cost around $100........ ]

Right at $975, my how times have changed!

Oct 31, 2018, 12:45 PM

Hey OP, recet ring purchaser here.

- Medium vs. Large

Medium is the normal sized mens ring. The Large ring is only for big dudes. If you aren't the size of Christian Wilkins or Dexter Lawrence, you DO NOT need a "Large" ring.

- Antique vs. Traditional.

Antique style rings have the black stuff painted onto the ring. A traditional ring has no black stuff on it, but the crevices will darken over time as they oxidize and collect gunk.
This link shows the difference: http://jostens1.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Metal_Finish.JPG

- Sizing

Sizing is pretty close. I went with a 7 1/4 size. The online catalog and order for only did half sizes when I was there, but you can talk to one of the reps there and they will help you out. The sizing is about standard and should be similar to the wedding ring.

Another fun note: Balfour will fix your ring for free. I have had mine sent back twice, for free. If you live close to Clemson, take your ring to the alumni office and they will ship for free. Balfour will ship it back to you, directly, for free as well. If you need to get repairs done, take detailed pictures of what you need repaired, and then write down specific instructions on what you need fixed. Then, put it all in a word doc printout, and have the alumni office mail your instructions along with your ring. These are FREE repairs for life, btw. THIS INCLUDES RESIZING AND CHANGING FEATURES. If you order a 10k white gold ring and want to switch to a 10k yellow gold ring, they will do it for you. Now, if you go from a 10k white gold ring to an 18k yellow gold ring, they will likely want you to pay for the difference, but you wont pay for an entirely new ring.

I miss the first Clemson ring I got. I accidentally ordered a 7 1/2 size when I should've ordered a 7 1/4. The first ring was too big, but Balfour also screwed up the construction in a really cool way. The first Clemson ring I got was white gold, but the "C and Palmetto tree" seal that is engraved into the stone/crest was YELLOW gold. It was a really unique looking ring that was given to me on accident. It was cool to have a silver colored ring with a gold colored crest. Unfortunately, when I sent the ring back to be resized, they returned it with a new crest that matched the color of the rest of the ring. I understood why they did it, but I was really disappointed that my ring lost this unique feature.

Oct 31, 2018, 1:22 PM

Thanks for all the help! I know a couple of you have mentioned the ring ceremony. I wish I could have attended, but I am a teacher/football coach and I am already having to miss work for Graduation so I am not going to skip out for the ceremony too (live 4 hours away/ getting my M.ED.).

Since you can't go to the ceremony you HAVE to watch this

Oct 31, 2018, 2:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FS4I2fgNg

BTW - for most maintenance and re-sizing I think they actually replace the ring (still free).

Oct 31, 2018, 2:44 PM

What is the going price these days for a man's Clemson ring?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2018, 10:39 PM

After taxes and all it's right at $1100.00

Replies: 35
| visibility 401
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic