Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution.

Dec 9, 2018, 2:05 PM

Before the BCS, the system was absolutely ridiculous. No excuse for it to last as long as it did. Shared national championships because the best two teams often didn't play one another. Still don't understand how it persisted so long.

BCS era was a major step in the right direction because it was the first time that the goal of the post-season was to do everything possible to get the best two teams in a winner-take-all championship game. It was obviously flawed, because sometimes it was hard to tell who the best 2 teams were... but one, simple issue fixed all of that.

The current system is perfect because we have always found the best 2 teams. The only controversy is who should be 3 and 4... which is not really a problem. The point of the post-season is to decide a national champion. We are doing that. And regular season games still mean everything.

Rivalry games are still crucial in the context of the playoffs AND because they are rivals.

Expanding the playoffs means that teams can screw up even more and still have a path to the title. More margin of error means less drama in EVERY non-playoff game. People don't realize that by doing something to improve the playoffs you are damaging the entire season. Not a smart trade off.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep....

Dec 9, 2018, 2:44 PM

There may come a time for expansion...but at this point it will only serve to dilute both the season and the playoffs....and add yet another game for players.
2 loss teams and Central Florida whining about not getting in is not a compelling reason.
The only problem I see is that there are 5 conferences and 4 spots. And for 2 seasons in a row we are having 2 conferences who aren’t represented. Eventually all the conferences are going to have a ‘deserving’ representative.
For that reason, I could see a 6 team with a wild card in addition to 5 conference reps....but even that has flaws.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep....

Dec 9, 2018, 8:20 PM

Tiger B, I agree and like the 6 team mode. All P5 champs in plus a wildcard. Keep the regular season meaningful by making #1/2 i first round bye game as a reward. So 3-6 play each other in a round the week after conference championship games.

You have no proof that the #5 team all four years...

Dec 9, 2018, 2:47 PM

....could not beat #1-4. We really can't say the best four teams were selected. All we can say is that the four picked were reasonable given the other choices. Until 2 teams play we never really know what the outcome will be. Tons of "upsets" every year. One day we might end up #5 then the meltdown on Tnet will happen.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.***

Dec 9, 2018, 3:05 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You have no proof that the #10 team couldn’t do it either. Your point?

Dec 9, 2018, 9:25 PM [ in reply to You have no proof that the #5 team all four years... ]

If we end up #5 it will be because we screwed up like the OP said. We will have no one to blame but ourselves. I personally like the margin of error to win a national championship to be small like it is. It’s one of the things I’ve always loved about CFB. All games count. This isn’t the NFL. This isn’t CBB where we give 64 teams a shot in the postseason.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lulz or the # 50 team.***

Dec 9, 2018, 9:51 PM [ in reply to You have no proof that the #5 team all four years... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution.

Dec 9, 2018, 2:55 PM

Understand what you say but, when FSU gets back and they will. We are 11-1 and our loss was to FSU by a field goal in OT. FSU is a 11-1 team bc they slip up to a 2 loss Atlantic team, and FSU goes to the ACC championship game wins against a 8-4 Coastal team. FSU goes to the playoffs bc they beat a sorry coastal team and loses to a 2 loss Atlantic team. We are on the outside looking in, and we beat the same Atlantic team that beat FSU. I would like a 6-8 team playoff, so we have a chance to get in the playoffs under those same circumstances and play FSU again in the playoff game, and the winner move on....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beat FSU. Four teams means the regular season matters.

Dec 9, 2018, 2:58 PM

That’s why Bama shouldn’t have been in last year, regardless of how it turned out after letting them skip a game, avoid injuries, rest, and heal up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 9, 2018, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: 4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution. ]

Again, a different opinion is TDed bc the piece of SH!T that TDed it has a different opinion. You are nut-less like a B1TCH when you TD someone and you're not even brave enough hiding behind a computer screen to give a reason why you thought the post was so far out of line to deserve a thumbs down. A BOO in your everyday life caused you to pisss your pants!!!

What's the matter? You now not going to get the free knife

Dec 10, 2018, 8:39 PM

set?

Dec 12, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: 4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution. ]

Agree. Tiger pulse is to reflect your loyalty to The Tigers. Thumbs down Should only be given to anti-Clemson posts.

Dec 9, 2018, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: 4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution. ]

I see what you are saying and of course we would feel like we should still be in, but we already played fla st and lost so I don’t think we get a do over. If expanded past the current 4 teams that puts the players practicing longer and playing longer. At some point these kids bodies get beat up and tired. They also are still student athletes. If they were playing or practicing these next two weeks they would be doing so during exams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 9, 2018, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Re: 4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution. ]

+1

I disagree with you and think it needs to stay at 4. Nonetheless, I agree it's cowardly to TD someone because you disagree with them. So I got your back.

Um... so we should win our games.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: 4 team-playoff has always been the perfect solution. ]

NOBODY with a loss should be allowed to complain.

You don't know that we've always found the best 2 teams.

Dec 9, 2018, 3:04 PM

I think you will find a great deal of very vocal support for that position, but that doesn't make it true. I maintain that in may cases, if not all, can never know who the best team is. All we can ever really know for sure is who wins and who loses, and that should be the goal, to let them play and see who wins and who loses.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS.

Dec 9, 2018, 3:37 PM

Preseason polls front end loaded with SEC teams influence the SOS throughout the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS.

Dec 9, 2018, 3:43 PM

In accordance with the prophecy.

When overrated “#5” loses to overrated “#10” they just swap places.
It just means more.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Absolutely no doubt about it.

Dec 9, 2018, 3:51 PM [ in reply to This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS. ]

It's alot better than the old BCS format, which was better than the old "Polls Only" format, but it's still a compromise, a temporary solution until we can get an expanded playoff that is decided entirely on the field.

- H. L. Mencken

Dec 9, 2018, 7:19 PM [ in reply to This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS. ]

Yeah the SEC has only won 11-20 championships since the BCS started.

Clearly the SEC teams have been overrated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Do you deluded goobers ever get tired...

Dec 9, 2018, 8:05 PM

of living vicariously through a conference to which you contribute absolutely nothing?

At some point, wouldn't it just be easier and a lot less sad and pathetic to just pick a new team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What they don't understand is many people

Dec 10, 2018, 4:51 PM

don't agree they won those titles fairly which is why the BCS was scrapped. The problem we have now is we still don't who the best teams are and we don't have a playoff, in my opinion. We still just have a selections of teams, currently at 4, that then play a tournament. I think you should have to play your way in not be selected - but what do I know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol @ you. You fit the gamecock stereotype so well.***

Dec 10, 2018, 5:45 AM [ in reply to Re: This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS. ]

Modest, Good-looking and logical?

Dec 10, 2018, 7:24 AM

I couldn't agree more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No just a coat tail riding coot who knows

Dec 10, 2018, 10:00 AM

that the greatest accomplishment in your pathetic program history is joining though not actually winning your conference.

Re: No just a coat tail riding coot who knows

Dec 10, 2018, 8:52 PM

You do realize I can acknowledge the SEC is the best conference without riding the coattails, right?

Riding the coattails would be like arguing USC is better than Clemson right now because we play in the SEC. I'm certainly not doing that.

Are you going to say you haven't made that argument in the

Dec 12, 2018, 12:37 PM

past Liar?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 5:52 AM [ in reply to Re: This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS. ]

Not talking about Bama, talking about the other 10 sec schools who always start the pre-season polls stuff in the top 15 to end the season 9/3 - 8/5. Because they started at the top they always have benefit of only dropping a couple of spots. Auburn, miss, Tex a&m, tenn, mo, ky etc

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I agree wholeheartedly. Overrated.

Dec 10, 2018, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS. ]

Funny how it's just Bama and ROY now that it's not up to a vote. Auburn can't beat UCF and the ##### can't beat a wet paper sack.

What you SEC Wonks fail to realize is that you WERE the best

Dec 12, 2018, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: This playoff reflects some of the same flaws of the BCS. ]

and you still weren't as good as you SEC Wonks thought you were

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2018, 4:40 PM

Well last year it screwed us a bit having to play Bama. If it was still the BCS we play UGA for the NC.
All 4 years we are still in the BCS NC game so other than last year it hasn’t been bad on the Tigers.

Screwed us? We lost. That's it.***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:40 PM

Last year the "two best" teams weren't.

Dec 9, 2018, 6:52 PM

The fourth team won it all. So apparently it did matter who three and four were.

And they got in. The system worked.***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:40 PM

Dec 9, 2018, 7:14 PM

It’s usually pretty obvious who the top 2 teams are in a given season. Sometimes it’s debateable but then there are 3 top teams. I can’t rememver a case of 5 teams being debated as the top two. I think taking the top 4 essentially guarantees the top two teams make it into the playoffs.

Dec 9, 2018, 7:27 PM

I agree that 8 teams is too many.As it penalizes contestants at the #1 and #2 spots by having to play an extra game that wasn't played in prior years of CFP.Example as Clemson Fans why do we wish for an 8 team playoff when our path at 4 team is better for us?We're a proven playoff contender and I'd prefer us not having to play "one more" game to get to a semi to get to the National Title game.

But 6 games is the perfect number assuming the system gives the two teams ranked at #1 and #2 a first week bye.I stated recently that the teams occupying spots #3-#6 would be ranked just to get passed the overly ridiculous notion of "BEST vs DESERVING". You know like Herbstreit proclaiming a 2 loss UGA was "The best team" and a lot of media cronies agreed with him. While you had the CFP Committee, thankfully say Oklahoma was the "Most Deserving" team. Best vs Deserving is why we need to expand to 6 teams imho. Ohio St should be ranked ahead of a 2 loss non conference champion UGA as well.

The 3-6 games would be great mid December bowl games that

Dec 9, 2018, 8:13 PM

most people would watch... The Poulin weedwacker bowl against a 6-6 and 7-5 team from the MAC... not so much.

Dec 9, 2018, 8:16 PM

You have 5 power 5 conferences and only 4 playoff spots,that alone eliminates one conference per year.

I agree. I want the regular season to matter.

Dec 9, 2018, 8:26 PM

Going to an 8 team playoff makes the regular season matter less. It means more 2 and 3 loss SEC teams will be argued for, as opposed to one loss teams from other conferences (and undefeated teams like UCF).

Four teams is perfect. It’s working well and I hope they stick with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 9, 2018, 8:53 PM

Correct.... 4 is perfect!
4 teams solves the problem of ... did we select the best two for the championship game.
It helps to ask this question for each team:
WOULD THE TEAM BE CONSIDERED FOR THE 2 TEAM CHAPIONSHIP GAME?
Alabama - yes
Clemson - yes
Notre Dame - possibly yes
Oklahoma - possibly but not likely
Georgia - no they lost their conf championship
Osu - no
So, the extra two teams provides the necessary buffer!
Also, one more note. Winning your conf championship doesn’t necessarily get you in(OSU example)playoff; but losing it disqualifies you(georgia example).
Final note: Notre Dame, join a conference!

Dec 10, 2018, 5:54 AM

No way they will ever go to 8 teams no matter what anybody says in the future because as much as it might be better for the fans and make sense to those teams pissed off about being right outside the top 4 on a questionable decision...

You'd then be talking about 16 games in a season right? And these guys are worn out and beat up enough for unpaid athletes by the end of the current system. If they ever go to 8 teams, making even more money for a bunch of organizations all around you can rest assured they will push the payer play debate big time as a requirement if it ever goes into effect.

wrong, completely

Dec 10, 2018, 6:52 AM

sv

Determining a Champion with subjectivity

Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 AM

Is ALWAYS the wrong way to do it.
Period.

It may be better than the crap they used to do.
But it needs a sample large enough to ensure a true Champion.
8 teams would still be loaded with shortcomings and issues, but at least it would ensure that ALL of the Conference Champions would get a shot.

Using subjectivity to rank things creates results like Olympic Gymnastics, etc.
Remember when the Russian judge gave low marks blah blah blah??
Same thing with this. Bama had no #### business in it last year. They lost ON THE FIELD to their rival.

They finished 2nd in the Division so they were 3rd in their Conference at best!
Come on.
Subjectivity in choosing a Champ invites shenanigans.

TCU and Baylor from 2014 may beg to differ

Dec 10, 2018, 9:55 AM

Go to 8

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TCU 2014 is the only legitimate argument for a #5 maybe

Dec 10, 2018, 4:49 PM

could have been one of the best 2. So I agree with you. It was not clear that year.

Every other year it is pretty clear that the best 2 got in.

I agree. The situation has improved greatly.***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:43 PM

ACTUALLY, the best solution would be like the Heisman

Dec 10, 2018, 5:14 PM

invite the ones that really have a chance. The number would vary from year to year.

This year, 12-0 Notre Dame would have a legit argument if only Clemson and Bama were invited. But realistically the situation varies from year to year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make some good points

Dec 10, 2018, 7:20 PM

I have generally advocated for an 8 team playoff consisting of the 5 power 5 conference champions and 3 at-large teams. To me that is the only "fair" way to determine who makes the playoffs in the current system.

However, I agree with a lot of what you said, and in particular how important all the regular season games are in the current system, which is part of what makes college football so entertaining. My only issue with the 4 team playoff in the current system is non-conference champions making it into the playoff. Whether they should be there or not is not my issue, I take issue with the conference championship games. If teams can make it in the playoff without having to play in and/or have to win a conference championship game then what is the point of playing these games at all.

Dec 10, 2018, 7:35 PM

I agree the BCS was turrible.

Dec 10, 2018, 8:18 PM

How about 6, to shut more people up. All the big conferences and one at large? Top 2 get a bye, the other 4 play. Gives some real reason to be the top 2 that get a bye, but involves more teams.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic