Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Expansion post 2023? UConn, Cincy, Navy, WVa., USF or ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 251

ACC Expansion post 2023? UConn, Cincy, Navy, WVa., USF or ?

Jul 9, 2018, 11:37 AM

Quiet day at work academically so I searched the subject. Seems most national writers believe Notre Dame will eventually join the ACC as a full member, but then where does the conference seek a final member? I read pros/cons for all of those listed except for Navy. I credit the writers for recognizing the immediate need to create a northern versus southern alignment for the revised ACC. It just makes sense and it helps on associated rivalries and the travel costs for all sports.

Did I miss any potential new members? I don't expect a Florida school to be able to compete with the others listed, but I'd also love to see the ACC offer a Big 10 school if revenues leveled the playing field. It is fun to speculate.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UConn, Cincy, WVa., don't fit the academic mold.

Jul 9, 2018, 11:39 AM

But neither does UNC, so who knows

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: UConn, Cincy, WVa., don't fit the academic mold.

Jul 9, 2018, 11:45 AM

None.

Jul 9, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to UConn, Cincy, WVa., don't fit the academic mold. ]

I see what you did there. :)

Jul 9, 2018, 1:05 PM [ in reply to UConn, Cincy, WVa., don't fit the academic mold. ]

I think The Citadel is a candidate if they look for someone capable of beating SEC schools.......err....school!

Re: ACC Expansion post 2023? UConn, Cincy, Navy, WVa., USF or ?

Jul 9, 2018, 11:47 AM

Cincinnati would open up more recruiting for us in Ohio/mich area. UConn seems like a natural with basketball and football.

I would keep Some of the matchups and move Florida State to the north lol!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

How about "none of the above"...

Jul 9, 2018, 11:50 AM

Add Penn State and then force Notre Dame to join as a full member is all sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 9, 2018, 11:52 AM

Just add west Virginia. Simple. No one really gives a chit about academics. U get zero credit for having Navy in there. UConn is barely less screwed up than Maryland. Plus it's a beautiful drive up to Morgantown.

Texas, tOSU, Stanford, Arkansas

Jul 9, 2018, 11:55 AM

my preference order:

1) USF
2) UCF
3) Cincy
4) UCONN
5) NAVY

Take football out of the equation, and I'd say Navy. Including football in the equation - I don't want to see us have to face another wing-T or option type offense twice a year... even when it is just occasionally due to schedule rotations.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2018, 11:56 AM

The only remotely legit expansion candidate s are Texas, Notre Dame, West Virginia and Navy.

The ideal expansion is Notre Dame and Penn State but that isn't going to happen.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Jul 9, 2018, 12:08 PM

I say NO to Uconn. Their FB program is a joke.

Texas

Jul 9, 2018, 12:13 PM

Geographically, Texas isn't a great fit. But I think they'll be on the move after 2025 and they're a better fit than WV, Cincy, Memphis and UCF. I doubt anybody will do anything until after 2025. Too much money on the table.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say retract: Add ND but then boot Pitt, Syracuse, and BC***

Jul 9, 2018, 12:22 PM

I have another thought

Jul 9, 2018, 12:31 PM

With the way collegiate sports and the NCAA are currently I could see a complete realignment in the athletic structure. Given 5-7 years and the dwindling power of the NCAA compared to the individual universities and TV contracts, I could see the largest conferences completely separating to form a new athletic league.

Jul 9, 2018, 12:40 PM

I'd actually add USF and UCF, and boot either Syracuse or Wake.

Mind, FSU would never go for it, but those two schools both have 60K+ enrollments and are potential monsters-in-waiting. Their fans also show up to actual football games...like, lots of them, and they'd be playing in front of packed houses in Orlando and Tampa if they were to join the ACC...and be well within driving distance.

Just a matter of time before those two schools programs' pull even with FSU and UF. Might as well be the ACC that profits by it.

The Entities That Broadcast Games Will Determine This

Jul 9, 2018, 12:42 PM

I do not expect institutions to belong to conferences as currently constructed. There will be one national conference in football that consist of the top programs or the top programs will adopt the current arrangement that ND has with the ACC.

Why should the top programs share TV revenue with the also rans in their current conferences?

Whomever they add ... I'm a fan of re-doing the divisions

Jul 9, 2018, 12:53 PM

The Original 8

vs

The New Additions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Folks aren't high on Navy, but

Jul 9, 2018, 12:54 PM

I think that ND will push for them (maybe even a condition for ND to join). ND will never give up a game in California, so they will always play either USC and/or Stanford. And they have a long standing agreement to play Navy.

If you have a South and North Division with 8 teams each, that gives you 7 games + one perm rival, one rotating... If = 9 conference games.

ND will have that Cali game and Navy... leaves them only one game to play with. I just can't see them going for that... If Navy comes in as a North Divisional foe... that frees up an OOC game for ND... they are now in same boat as CU, FSU, GT, Lville...

So all of us have 2 games to play with as we see fit.

For 16 teams, if one is ND and the other NOT Navy, something has to give.

Possibilities:

1) Drop the cross divisional rival game and just play one team from other division (seems goofy to me... would take 8 years just to play everyone in your conference... what's the point of having a conference? It's already bad as it is now!)

2) ND agrees to have only one OOC each year to play with... ie, always play Navy and rotate Stanford/USC and one more game (don't see them agreeing to this)

3) ND drops Navy, plays them only once every 4-5 years (don't see ND agreeing to this);

Only solution seems to be to invite Navy...

UNLESS changes made to conference scheduling... which I wish would happen, especially if we do ever go to 16 teams (with or without ND/Navy)...

Even so, probably means going to a 9 team conf schedule...

Two South PODS, Two North PODs... play your three POD mates... and two teams from each of the other three PODS... (one could be a perm rival, one a rotating game)... Really like this idea... each team has 6 teams that play each year, three that rotate... you could play everyone in span of three years.

Only question... how do you determine who goes to championship game? Maybe it is just best record of the southern pods versus best of northern pods? But could be a mess, since all Southern Schools don't play each other and all Northern don't play each other?

What would be a good solution?

Re: Folks aren't high on Navy, but

Jul 9, 2018, 1:25 PM

Adding Navy would be important to getting ND.

Who would you like to get rid of currently in the ACC?

Annapolis is a good place to visit btw

Jul 9, 2018, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Folks aren't high on Navy, but ]

I had not given this topic a Thought before today. I do think that if Notre Dame becomes a full member, Navy would be a logical choice. I agree IMO - Best Available is USF, Texas, Penn State or UCF as an alternate wish list if Navy does not pan out. I just do not see the ACC will add any more Schools without Notre Dame coming. Thanks for the Topic got me thinking! But my wife would say that's scary.

Jul 9, 2018, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Folks aren't high on Navy, but ]

I like the idea of PODS and if Notre Dame were to decline joining I could see UConn and West Virginia being offered to create a super league. Revenues will clearly impact any choice.

Go Tigers!

Re: ACC Expansion post 2023? How about the Coots?

Jul 9, 2018, 1:44 PM

Since they cant cut it in the ACC

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Expansion post 2023? How about the Coots?

Jul 9, 2018, 8:49 PM

Usuck was invited behind the scenes in the early 1990s to rejoin the ACC for a major cost having previously left, but declined. They obviously then were offered by the SEC. Money talked and although GC fans yell SEC they are generally considered a lightweight addition.

Go Tigers!

Wyoming!***

Jul 9, 2018, 1:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wyoming!***

Jul 9, 2018, 2:12 PM

Pyongyang University?Great place to visit in the fall

Jul 9, 2018, 9:23 PM

Finally make Notre Dame official and pull Hawaii out of the Mountain West

I don't know why so many folks expect, or want, ND to join

Jul 9, 2018, 9:31 PM

the ACC, or any conference for that matter.

Contrary to popular belief, they would earn more media revenue as part of the ACC as a full member than they can going it alone. That's not the motivation for their independence with their football program. And they will easily make the CFP as a one-loss if it comes down to it without a conference trophy.

It's cool, for me as a college sports fan, that they play all over the country and mix up their conference teams like they do in the limited schedules college football allows. They're a nice national barometer of sorts - they don't skimp when they can help it. They're still playing by the same rules as everyone, and I enjoy having them in other league sports through the year. Win win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 251
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic