Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A new low for selfish college athletes.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

A new low for selfish college athletes.

Sep 23, 2019, 4:37 PM

STARTING Houston QB D'Eriq King is sitting out the rest of the year, and may enter the transfer portal, one week after breaking Tim Tebow's record for consecutive games with a passing or rushing TD.

Where does he think he can go that would get more exposure than an offense under Dana Holgorsen at Houston? Houston also has a history of putting QB's into the NFL.

I guess this guy thinks he scored all those rushing and passing touchdowns totally on his own, with no help from the teammates that he is now abandoning and stabbing in the back. At the very least, he should be made to pay back the scholarship money Houston has spent on him thus far this year, and going forward. If he has the right "to do what is in his best interest", then the University of Houston should have that same right. It is one thing to transfer out if you are a reserve looking for more playing time. This is something far worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The bar will only get lower

Sep 23, 2019, 4:43 PM

From SI:

"Sometimes you got to be a little self-centered and do what's best for you."

With advice like that, I'm not expecting things to get any better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The bar will only get lower

Sep 23, 2019, 4:46 PM

Imagine if Chase Brice had one ounce of this attitude. Thankfully he does not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see...and the school that brings him in will

Sep 23, 2019, 4:48 PM

Trumpet his high character and team-first maturity. Does that sound about right? LSWho, perhaps?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's see...and the school that brings him in will

Sep 23, 2019, 8:03 PM

Auburn

Re: The bar will only get lower

Sep 23, 2019, 4:48 PM [ in reply to The bar will only get lower ]

I forgot to put in there that that quote was from King's dad. Good job, dad. Way to go.

Re: A new low for selfish college athletes.

Sep 23, 2019, 4:48 PM

Will be tough for him to win anywhere as long as he's all about himself. Football very much a team sport. Sacrifice plus talent is what wins. Pure talent alone not enough. I'd like to wish him the best, but all of this transferring stuff getting old. Suppose I should get used to it, unfortunately.

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but it would be Karmic

Sep 23, 2019, 4:52 PM

Justice if this case was the first time someone went into the transfer portal, and the phone lines were completely silent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link please***

Sep 23, 2019, 4:57 PM

link

Sep 23, 2019, 5:38 PM

https://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/articleComments/QB-D-Eriq-King-up-in-air-on-future-14461767.php

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: link

Sep 23, 2019, 7:21 PM

That article doesn’t mention transferring. Says he plans to be back at Houston next year. Strange.

Dont you think this is Dana Holgorsen saying stay around to

Sep 23, 2019, 8:02 PM [ in reply to link ]

Next year and we will be better? After a year of recruiting we can feature your talents in a better way? I bet it’s not the kids “advisors “ pushing this— it’s the coaching staff.

Sep 23, 2019, 5:53 PM

It sounds bad, but when you consider the fact that the university is making millions of dollars off of those football players it shouldn’t be surprising or frowned upon.

These are adults who have their futures to consider. Nobody bats an eye when a coach takes off for a better offer mid season.

Riddle me this...

Sep 23, 2019, 6:07 PM

A scholarship, R&B, and training is worth nothing? Is that about right? Hmmm?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Riddle me this...

Sep 23, 2019, 6:24 PM

The education is worth something. The facilities and training are to recruit and make athletes better which in turn helps the university. College football has turned into a money making machine, and the adults on the field sacrificing their bodies are getting the smallest piece of the pie. They are not guaranteed jobs when they graduate. The majority of those players are not going to the NFL to make millions of dollars. They see nothing of all the money they help generate.

Sep 23, 2019, 6:45 PM

The element of your post which speaks most to me is that of the athletes sacrificing their bodies. You might add that the sacrifice is for our entertainment too.

I dont like the idea of players getting an income for a lot of reasons, but I do think there needs to be some sort of health insurance element which would see these guys covered for any latent or chronic condition associated with their participation.

I can live with the reality that those guys are taking a beating to entertain me, but I do have a bit of trouble with the idea that a D1 program can see these guys entertain us to their own injury with the program having only limited exposure to responsibility for injuries sustained.

Sep 23, 2019, 6:49 PM

I think the entertainment factor is why people are so against paying college athletes because it will change the game they love. I love it too but what’s right is right.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:10 PM

ok, so let’s pay the athletes. Since the benefits they receive now are not worth anything, take those away. Since they are being paid then they can pay tuition, room and board, health insurance and all costs when they have surgery and therapy.

The NCAA should stick to their rules. The NFL needs to step up with a minor league then any football athlete that doesn’t care for school can just go pro. This is not an NCAA problem...it’s a pro sports problem.

Personally, the day they remove “amateur” from equation is the day I stop supporting college athletics.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:15 PM

While we’re at it we could make them all go through the regular admissions process like everyone else...no special treatment in admissions.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:22 PM

Ok, while we are treating athletes like students let’s treat coaches like professors.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:31 PM

I’m good with that. The money they make is obscene. Of course the vast majority of college coaches make far less than those at the top.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Riddle me this... ]

How it is now would be like your boss saying I’m not paying you a salary because you have a company car, I pay for your hotel and food when you travel for work, and because I provide on the job training that will allow you to advance in your career.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:29 PM

It seems you put no value in the education aspect. The vast majority of college athletes go into the real world when they are done. The degree is worth Far more than any amount of money they would be paid during those 4 or 5 years.

I’m going to guess that you didn’t attend Clemson.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:36 PM

I went to college and I don’t even use my degree. A lot of people do that. A lot of these athletes will do that. The majority of them will not see the money these coaches make in a year in their lifetime.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:40 PM

99% wont see that kind of money. That’s not the real point unless you’re cool with leaving things like they are but cap coaches salaries...you sound more jealous of the coaches than an advocate for paying the athletes.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:45 PM

It’s relevant to the point. Like I asked another poster, why should the person calling plays make millions while the guy throwing touchdowns gets nothing?

Sep 23, 2019, 7:50 PM

When I coached HS football, as an assistant I made a stipend of $700 while the athletes made nothing. Why? It’s the system we all agreed to. None of the athletes are being forced to play...

Change the system if you’d like but it will without a doubt end college athletics as we know it.

Peace. I’m out.

Sep 23, 2019, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: A new low for selfish college athletes. ]

Never thought of it like this until now

Sep 23, 2019, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Re: A new low for selfish college athletes. ]

What if this were college scholars and not athletes?

Kids doing research and getting grant money for the school to help learn and develop and research

I don’t know the numbers obviously, but the university has to be bringing in some scratch from these students, right?

Should they be paid?

Re: Never thought of it like this until now

Sep 23, 2019, 6:26 PM

Is the professor making 10 million a year?

Are the professors courses generating enough income

Sep 23, 2019, 6:36 PM

to pay his and many other salaries, and support many other non-revenue generating student athletic programs, as required by Title IX? The argument of teachers (or any other "normal" job) pay vs college coaches, or pro coaches, or pro players, is a nonstarter. We Americans love our sports, and salaries in sports professions are what the free market will bear and support. It has nothing to do with the merit of one vs the other.

Re: Are the professors courses generating enough income

Sep 23, 2019, 6:46 PM

You’ve helped my point.

So the guy calling the plays should make millions while the guy throwing the TD’s gets nothing?

Yea the players get a lot of benefits and privileges. The coaches get them as well. I’m sure Dabo has a company car and never pays for a meal on campus.

Sep 23, 2019, 6:58 PM

Your point makes no more sense than the argument to legalize weed. UNDER THE CURRENT RULES OF THE NCAA, the players get paid stipends, scholarship money, etc, and that is all. When the rules change, I have no problem with it. I would have no personal problem with weed being legalized, but as of now, IT IS NOT. So, the "point" you keep trying to make is moot. You will never make it, and I will never make it. It will eventually, I suspect, be argued out in a court of law. And college athletics as we know and love will disappear. Because, unlike you seem to think, universities are not just hoarding millions and keeping them away from these athletes. Show me some financial records that say otherwise. I saw a (probably incorrect) post on here this morning that wants to claim your Coot Athletic department is $175 Million in the RED. We would be too, without the efforts of IPTAY and other organizations.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:04 PM

That’s not a good comparison. Marijuana is illegal because of mass hysteria over false information. It should have always been legal.

College football has changed significantly when it comes to the money it generates just in the last decade. Not too long ago a college scholarship compared a little better to a coach’s salary and the money these universities bring in.

Also, just because something is a rule doesn’t mean it shouldn’t change. Thankfully people throughout history have been willing to point out what is unfair and take the necessary steps to change it.

Well, carry on. You just proved MY point. It is amazing

Sep 23, 2019, 7:08 PM

how many people who are on the side of paying college athletes also are on the side of legalizing weed. Not a coincidence. I cannot argue further.

Re: Well, carry on. You just proved MY point. It is amazing

Sep 23, 2019, 7:23 PM

You just said you are on the side of legalizing weed. Lol.

Feb 16, 2023, 8:01 PM

No, I said you were. I don't care for it myself. I just hope you stoners stay off the road when I'm driving once it is legalized.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:38 PM

You don’t have to be a stoner to recognize the fact that someone should be able to smoke a joint in the sanctity of their own home. Not sure how this is in anyway relevant to the discussion.

Is he hurt? No. Read the link all the way here.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Are the professors courses generating enough income ]

It sounds like him and Coach Holgorsen are "loading up" for next year! King and a WR are both RS as seniors!
They both plan to play for Houston next year!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just see college athletes as pieces of property...

Sep 23, 2019, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Are the professors courses generating enough income ]

That have no right to the money they help generate for their schools

I’m not sure how/why the professors pay

Sep 23, 2019, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Never thought of it like this until now ]

Matters in the research the students are doing?

If the students make a scientific break through and the school benefits monetarily and in name recognition and thus Top 20 schools to attend which means more tuition money, what difference does it make what the professor is paid?

What if those students said, I’m taking my research and going elsewhere?

That "adult" with his future to consider would never have

Sep 23, 2019, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: A new low for selfish college athletes. ]

had that future to consider without the coaching and exposure that college football has ALREADY given him. And get away from me with "the universities are making millions off these athletes". These universities are turning right around and investing in their OTHER athletic programs with that money.

They are making millions of dollars off the two revenue generating sports***

Sep 23, 2019, 7:44 PM

Re: They are making millions of dollars off the two revenue generating sports***

Sep 23, 2019, 8:08 PM

And then spending all of it (and more in most cases) on facilities, non revenue sports, etc. We wouldn’t have a crew team, tennis team, golf team, etc without that money.

Ha ha. Odds he is Lincoln Riley's next QB

Sep 23, 2019, 6:22 PM

@ OK for 2020?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You joke, but that is the slippery slope that this

Sep 23, 2019, 7:04 PM

tranfer portal opens onto. Although coaches are not legally able to contact athletes until they enter the portal, is anyone naive to believe such phone calls or contact does not happen now? We may get into a situation where Oklahoma becomes the football equivalent of Kentucky with the "one and doners".

Recruiting battles used to be over when prospects signed their letter of intent. Now the letter is just "until I change my mind if I'm not playing much." Or in the case of this Houston QB, even if I am playing much.

Non athlete college students transfer all the time...

Sep 23, 2019, 7:49 PM

Are they selfish for not sticking with the school they started out at?

Sep 23, 2019, 6:39 PM

Reports of bags filled with cootbux being found in the young man's dorm room are thus far unconfirmed.

The Coots have entered the digital age, haven't you

Sep 23, 2019, 6:46 PM

heard? The bags are full of Buttcoin. (They may not quite have the hang of it yet.)

"You think that's selfish!?

Sep 23, 2019, 6:54 PM

Here, hold my Iphone and watch this."

-- The Me, Myself, and I generation.

You refer to the Baby Boomers perfectly***

Sep 23, 2019, 7:51 PM

Sep 23, 2019, 7:12 PM

Sorry. Link here

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/houston-qb-deriq-king-to-redshirt-the-rest-of-2019-season-remain-with-program/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, at least that's better than transferring out.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:23 PM

Now, all he's doing is telling this years team that they are not good enough to play with, but he thinks they will have some better players next year.

He is a SENIOR already. How much more does he think he will really develop in one year? And now, one of his receivers, also a SENIOR is joining him in sitting out the rest of the year and redshirting. This is the kind of convoluted stuff that the transfer portal / new redshirt rules have brought us. If I was a Houston season ticket holder, I would be demanding a refund.

Re: Well, at least that's better than transferring out.

Sep 23, 2019, 7:35 PM

Hes probably already been contacted by another school, although he can't really say that right now, so he's paying lip service to coming back to Houston. Unfortunately for him, he can redshirt til he's 30 but he will never be an NFL QB.

just admit it, you were wrong and jumped to conclusions without all the facts***

Sep 23, 2019, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Well, at least that's better than transferring out. ]

Re: A new low for selfish college athletes.***

Sep 23, 2019, 7:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2019, 7:22 PM

He's thinking he's got his 4 games in, will now transfer, play another whole season and pad his records. What a _______(fill in the blank)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See Hillrock Tigers reply above. Now, he's staying in

Sep 23, 2019, 7:25 PM

Houston, but redshirting, and has talked one of his senior receivers into doing the same thing. SMFH

He is staying at Houston...

Sep 23, 2019, 7:34 PM

So long to your rush to judgement without the facts.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27687204/uh-qb-king-redshirt-rest-19-plans-return

Wrong. Read my original post, the article at the time said

Sep 23, 2019, 7:38 PM

he MAY enter the transfer portal, which is exactly what my post said. If you also bothered to read replies further down, you would see that Hillrock Tiger linked the updated news article, with him staying but redshirting, and I also responded to that.

You're pretty judgemental yourself for a scok with a rapidly falling pulse.

A bit angry aren’t we. It’s ok to admit you’re wrong

Sep 23, 2019, 7:57 PM

You jumped to conclusions on people you view as pieces of property.

And play with your scok some place else, I’m not into that.

Sep 23, 2019, 10:12 PM

He is hoping to learn the system better and give his teammates a chance to get better, then go out with a better chance of success. I think this may be really smart on his part but I also bet the NCAA closes this loop hole quickly!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clowns Like This Are Destined for The XFL Best Case

Sep 23, 2019, 10:44 PM

And More Likely a Regular Joe Job Where They Will Learn Selfish Bishes Get Shanked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic