Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A lot of you tnet posters have given me a lot to think about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

A lot of you tnet posters have given me a lot to think about

Jan 2, 2018, 8:14 AM

There is definitely something not right in Clemson and Dabo better figure it out.

Seven straight 10 win seasons, 4 ACC championships (3 consecutive), made CFP the last 3 years (1 of the 4 best teams in the nation).

Dabo has easily eclipsed what Danny Ford did during the "glory days" of Clemson, and it doesn't appear that we will be going backward any time soon.

I HATE losing. Last night, Nick, the machine and his dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks brigade came ready to revenge a loss from last year. They had an extra week to prepare and heal. Not only did they have the revenge factor to feed off of, but they got to hear over and over and over how Clemson was the most complete team in America from the talking heads on sports TV, the internet, and social media.

On top of that, they have been practicing in the shadow of their last game being a loss to their rival, which kept them out of the SEC championship and their quest for a perfect season. Our last game was a complete beat down of the resurgent U. We were impressive and have pretty much been rolling along since our wake-up call loss at Syracuse.

Alabama was ready to play. But, despite the rantings of the message board, XBOX gurus, so were the Tigers. Alabama smashed us in the mouth, and our OL could not block them with any consistency. We did not help ourselves with the play calling (for 90% of the game), this is true. But there was nothing wrong with Dabo's preparation of this team. And Kelly Bryant was the Kelly Bryant we've seen all year. The same one that we have been winning with. Inconsistent, but not the reason we lost last night.

I thought our FG kicking would kill us. It didn't. Coverage on special teams was excellent. Defense was pretty stout, especially with the position that the anemic offense put them in. Turnover margin was only 2-1 in Bama's favor. I also loved our fight. Despite being overmatched all night, the guys didn't lay down. They never quit.

We lost because we were not able to scheme to take the pressure that Bama's front 7 brought to allow anything to work offensively. We helped neither Bryant nor the OL by our playcalling, which we amazingly seemed to figure out in the last drive, about 55 minutes too late. That is on the OC's. Field position was also huge all night.

So for the Chicken Littles - most likely recent additions to the fan base - nothing was wrong with the way the team was prepared. Nothing wrong with their intensity. And nothing wrong with Dabo's leadership (although he is ultimately responsible for the OCs).

We simply got outplayed by a machine. And that, while I HATE to lose, is acceptable in light of what Dabo has done and what he is obviously continuing to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL;dr

Jan 2, 2018, 8:17 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

It seems today their is an inability to give the other guy

Jan 2, 2018, 8:18 AM

his due. Instead blame must be passed out. Sometimes, you just get whipped. It sure isn't happening often

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well said...

Jan 2, 2018, 8:21 AM

I think that may go hand-in-hand with the lack of civility in the country as well.

Bama was just that good last night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, they were just better.

Jan 3, 2018, 8:51 AM [ in reply to It seems today their is an inability to give the other guy ]

At least for the one game, they were better and they put a chip on their shoulders.

Bump, this needs to stay up top for at least a day.***

Jan 2, 2018, 8:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of you tnet posters have given me a lot to think about

Jan 2, 2018, 8:41 AM

> There is definitely something not right in Clemson
> and Dabo better figure it out.
>
> Seven straight 10 win seasons, 4 ACC championships (3
> consecutive), made CFP the last 3 years (1 of the 4
> best teams in the nation).
>
> Dabo has easily eclipsed what Danny Ford did during
> the "glory days" of Clemson, and it doesn't appear
> that we will be going backward any time soon.
>
> I HATE losing. Last night, Nick, the machine and his
> dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks brigade came ready to
> revenge a loss from last year. They had an extra week
> to prepare and heal. Not only did they have the
> revenge factor to feed off of, but they got to hear
> over and over and over how Clemson was the most
> complete team in America from the talking heads on
> sports TV, the internet, and social media.
>
> On top of that, they have been practicing in the
> shadow of their last game being a loss to their
> rival, which kept them out of the SEC championship
> and their quest for a perfect season. Our last game
> was a complete beat down of the resurgent U. We were
> impressive and have pretty much been rolling along
> since our wake-up call loss at Syracuse.
>
> Alabama was ready to play. But, despite the rantings
> of the message board, XBOX gurus, so were the Tigers.
> Alabama smashed us in the mouth, and our OL could not
> block them with any consistency. We did not help
> ourselves with the play calling (for 90% of the
> game), this is true. But there was nothing wrong with
> Dabo's preparation of this team. And Kelly Bryant was
> the Kelly Bryant we've seen all year. The same one
> that we have been winning with. Inconsistent, but not
> the reason we lost last night.
>
> I thought our FG kicking would kill us. It didn't.
> Coverage on special teams was excellent. Defense was
> pretty stout, especially with the position that the
> anemic offense put them in. Turnover margin was only
> 2-1 in Bama's favor. I also loved our fight. Despite
> being overmatched all night, the guys didn't lay
> down. They never quit.
>
> We lost because we were not able to scheme to take
> the pressure that Bama's front 7 brought to allow
> anything to work offensively. We helped neither
> Bryant nor the OL by our playcalling, which we
> amazingly seemed to figure out in the last drive,
> about 55 minutes too late. That is on the OC's. Field
> position was also huge all night.
>
> So for the Chicken Littles - most likely recent
> additions to the fan base - nothing was wrong with
> the way the team was prepared. Nothing wrong with
> their intensity. And nothing wrong with Dabo's
> leadership (although he is ultimately responsible for
> the OCs).
>
> We simply got outplayed by a machine. And that, while
> I HATE to lose, is acceptable in light of what Dabo
> has done and what he is obviously continuing to do.

Jan 2, 2018, 8:41 AM

> There is definitely something not right in Clemson
> and Dabo better figure it out.
>
> Seven straight 10 win seasons, 4 ACC championships (3
> consecutive), made CFP the last 3 years (1 of the 4
> best teams in the nation).
>
> Dabo has easily eclipsed what Danny Ford did during
> the "glory days" of Clemson, and it doesn't appear
> that we will be going backward any time soon.
>
> I HATE losing. Last night, Nick, the machine and his
> dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks brigade came ready to
> revenge a loss from last year. They had an extra week
> to prepare and heal. Not only did they have the
> revenge factor to feed off of, but they got to hear
> over and over and over how Clemson was the most
> complete team in America from the talking heads on
> sports TV, the internet, and social media.
>
> On top of that, they have been practicing in the
> shadow of their last game being a loss to their
> rival, which kept them out of the SEC championship
> and their quest for a perfect season. Our last game
> was a complete beat down of the resurgent U. We were
> impressive and have pretty much been rolling along
> since our wake-up call loss at Syracuse.
>
> Alabama was ready to play. But, despite the rantings
> of the message board, XBOX gurus, so were the Tigers.
> Alabama smashed us in the mouth, and our OL could not
> block them with any consistency. We did not help
> ourselves with the play calling (for 90% of the
> game), this is true. But there was nothing wrong with
> Dabo's preparation of this team. And Kelly Bryant was
> the Kelly Bryant we've seen all year. The same one
> that we have been winning with. Inconsistent, but not
> the reason we lost last night.
>
> I thought our FG kicking would kill us. It didn't.
> Coverage on special teams was excellent. Defense was
> pretty stout, especially with the position that the
> anemic offense put them in. Turnover margin was only
> 2-1 in Bama's favor. I also loved our fight. Despite
> being overmatched all night, the guys didn't lay
> down. They never quit.
>
> We lost because we were not able to scheme to take
> the pressure that Bama's front 7 brought to allow
> anything to work offensively. We helped neither
> Bryant nor the OL by our playcalling, which we
> amazingly seemed to figure out in the last drive,
> about 55 minutes too late. That is on the OC's. Field
> position was also huge all night.
>
> So for the Chicken Littles - most likely recent
> additions to the fan base - nothing was wrong with
> the way the team was prepared. Nothing wrong with
> their intensity. And nothing wrong with Dabo's
> leadership (although he is ultimately responsible for
> the OCs).
>
> We simply got outplayed by a machine. And that, while
> I HATE to lose, is acceptable in light of what Dabo
> has done and what he is obviously continuing to do.

Stopped reading at the had an extra week to prepare

Jan 2, 2018, 8:43 AM

and heal.

All we heard all bowl season was a list of defenders that weren't playing in that game due to injury.

And I get it, during the season, when you have a bye week, you get an extra week to prepare of your opponent. And that is crucial but lets be real, Dabo had 4 weeks to prepare for Bama. And CBV had his crew prepared only giving up 17 pts.

Now I agree, Dabo is the greatest coach in Clemson football history and we are living in an era that will be talked about for decades to come, but last night we did not have our offense mentally prepared.

Hats off to Alabama. I think they lost to Auburn b/c the had Clemson on the brain all year long. I think they bean Clemson b/c they had Clemson on the brain all year long.

The extra week to prepare is a minimal part...

Jan 2, 2018, 8:46 AM

to the overall point.

I pretty sure I agreed with your overall point***

Jan 2, 2018, 8:47 AM

The fuel that Dabo typically uses for motivation...

Jan 2, 2018, 8:49 AM

was all in Saban's hands

I think the small advantage lies with the

Jan 3, 2018, 1:45 PM [ in reply to The extra week to prepare is a minimal part... ]

team with 4 weeks off not 5.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stopped reading at the had an extra week to prepare

Jan 2, 2018, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Stopped reading at the had an extra week to prepare ]

Bottom line, we weren't prepared, couldn't adapt (as always), and got out coached.

Jan 2, 2018, 9:01 AM

I’ve seen a lot of posts that could stay on top all day by very prominent posters. Nothing wrong with them having their own opinions. You’re right in that it’s been a magical run.

I do however have to take exception that it was the the offensive coordinators. They can only call it, they can’t execute it. You have to admit during this magical run, there has been and continues to be one area we haven’t caught up with bama, the machine- the offensive line. But we’ve been able to be serviceable. Haven’t put any in the nfl for some reason. I’m not a coach so I’ll defer.

Also have to take issue with the D. The defense played masterful. They missed a couple assignments but not many. I think bama had one 50 yard drive?

All we have to do is listen to Dabo. Championship ball comes down to a handful of plays. I think the one call we needed not call was the 2 nd and 1 at the 50 on kbs int... but at the same time, kb had to feel the pressure and run forward.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 2:45 PM

If you watch much football and Tigers all year, we have poor play calling and are predictable. Time for OC change, plain and simple. Great talent and willpower has covered coaches shortfalls.

Yup***

Jan 3, 2018, 10:31 PM

Jan 2, 2018, 9:10 AM

I agree with most of that...except maybe the part about being one of the 4 best teams in the Nation. In my opinion UCF is not one of the best teams in the Nation, but since nobody has proven that on the field, they do in my opinion have a legitimate gripe. I think they will have to expand the playoffs to 8 teams, because no undefeated Div. 1 opponent should be excluded from the playoffs. They beat every team they played, including Auburn who beat both of the teams still in the playoffs.

Jan 2, 2018, 2:28 PM

At 8 teams UCF still would not have been in the playoff as they were ranked 12th.

I think your point should be more aimed toward the CFP playoff committee, who came out and stood by that ranking of 12 even after they beat 7th ranked Auburn that was previously ranked 2nd.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to post this to Tnet front page...

Jan 2, 2018, 11:39 AM

...totally agree franc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Amen***

Jan 2, 2018, 11:42 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks. A voice of reason...

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said franc, happy New year!***

Jan 2, 2018, 12:28 PM

The problem is Dabo's weakness are not being addressed

Jan 2, 2018, 12:58 PM

It's the same, predictable stuff each year. KB can't pass all year. WE don't have another QB prepared. Why not? We are loaded at QB.

Play calling has been questionable all year (arguably the last 2). Screens, tunnels, perimeter, and short passes were taken away because KB can't throw mid-to-long. We fans all saw it all year. Do you think Saban will miss it?

I get each team has its weaknesses - it just seemed we didn't improve much all year. Yes, we had a better year than I expected we would have, but that was due as much to FSU tanking as anything else. I would like to have seen improvement. It seems after the Auburn game, the coaches were like "screw it, the D needs to win it for us this year." The offense never really got going, save for against crappy teams.

Re: The problem is Dabo's weakness are not being addressed

Jan 2, 2018, 2:36 PM

Winning the natty last year was predictable? C'mon man, I get that you're upset but to be saying we have these extenuating weaknesses year in and out when we've went 50-7, again FIFTY AND FREAKING 7 over the last four years.

Did the offense struggle at times this year? Yes.

Was that pretty much going to be a given considering we lost DW4 (greatest QB in history), Gallman (one of the best backs in history), Williams (one of the best receivers in history), Leggett (one of our best TE's in history), and so on? Yes.

Did the coaching staff do a good job of tailoring the offense to KB's strengths and hiding his weaknesses? For 12/13 games that he started and didn't get injured in yes they did.

Did it work last night? No. Were we playing one of the best defenses in the country? Yes.

If you didn't see improvement prior to last night in the last few games then I'm not really sure what you were watching.

Jan 2, 2018, 3:09 PM

So What is Dabo's weakness??

Jan 3, 2018, 11:23 AM

That's a good question, but trying to come up with weaknesses just because we lost one game is ridiculous.

We can start with favoring established players vs.

Jan 3, 2018, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem is Dabo's weakness are not being addressed ]

the most talent. Do you really think KB is the best QB on the roster? Is Cain deserving of starting over Higgins or Rogers? Cain has had the dropsies all year; hope he comes back because he hurt himself this year.

Who is responsible for Ray-Ray on punt returns? His technique stinks, he catches on the front foot instead of his back foot, which often forces him backwards, which leads to his muffs.

This year felt like watching a Rob Spence offense with only short and lateral stuff. Oh, wait, that is the OCs protecting KB? Then develop one of our other 4 or 5 * QBs.

We were manhandled by Bama's D-Line. That hasn't happened in a while and it was very disappointing. Looking at the O-line recruits, I'm concerned. One recruit does not make a line.

Jan 2, 2018, 1:06 PM

I do not disagree with this post except for the need to take a long critical look at OL play, growth at TE and teaching our backs how to protect our QB better when pressured. These are three keys to improvement in next season prep.

Dabo and staff should study every game from 2017 to learn where we need to change and thus improve. We had a fine campaign all things considered, but we cannot rest on our laurels.

Go Tigers!

Jan 2, 2018, 1:19 PM

I'll make it simple - they dared us to throw long, we didn't. Lots of blame to go around, not enough time, receivers not open, KB didn't see it. Since Sammy arrived we have been one of the most prolific long threat offenses in the country, not this year. Needs to change or expect the same.

Well said franc, happy New year!***

Jan 2, 2018, 2:08 PM

Jan 2, 2018, 2:22 PM

I agree with so much of your post but I was stunned that for the first time in years the opponent was faster and stronger. I was surprised that we didnt seem to match intensity.

So you don't think we should fire Dabo?***

Jan 2, 2018, 2:39 PM

I couldn't resist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did NOT say that!

Jan 3, 2018, 8:50 AM

After all, Rich Rod is available now.

it's easy to second guess, i know, but i really wish

Jan 3, 2018, 8:58 AM

Dabo had chosen the Rose Bowl as the venue. The reason is that playing on carpet in a building that feels like a giant living room just gave a bad vibe off to me. The outcome may well have been exactly the same, I'm sure. But somehow, playing on grass, having stadium lighting instead of that climate-controlled box lighting might have changed things a bit.

Didn't seem to affect Alabama; they play outdoors...

Jan 3, 2018, 9:25 AM

on grass as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it's easy to second guess, i know, but i really wish

Jan 3, 2018, 10:16 AM [ in reply to it's easy to second guess, i know, but i really wish ]

Dabo didn't get to choose. The playoffs were set by ESPN and Bowls and TV. 2-3 were always going to the Rose Bowl, 1-4 to the Sugar.

Not exactly true as No. 1 gets "preference" & there have...

Jan 3, 2018, 11:09 AM

always been the same criteria for determining locations for the 2 top seeds/teams.

I do not know if "preference" includes a conversation with the No. 1 seed or not, but the Sugar Bowl is as much a home game for Alabama as any of the four finalists?

If given the choice, I imagine Dabo, his history and ties to the Sugar would have won out?

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/_131504730172490753.aspx

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few good things here

Jan 3, 2018, 11:21 AM

Prob. biggest is more time to prepare, rest up, heal. The other stuff on "chip on shoulder/listening to pundits/revenge" I don't count as legit motivation. These things don't win games in many, many other situations. If they did, we would have lost to NC State, Louisville, Fla State, etc, and that's just this year. Talent, preparation, health, and just a little bit of karma/chip-ism, are what win.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic