Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A friendly Texas A&M Aggie would like to ask a small favor..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

A friendly Texas A&M Aggie would like to ask a small favor..

Feb 13, 2019, 3:36 PM

My father was a Clemson graduate (Class of 1967). He was born and raised in Spartanburg, and was the first in his family to go to college. He moved to Austin, TX in the 70's where he worked as an engineer and raised a family. He passed away unexpectedly in 2011. He was a lifelong Clemson fan, and the one who taught me to love college football. I tell people most of the curse words I know are from watching Clemson football with him in the 80's. He loved Clemson, and represented the university well. His favorite restaurant was The Beacon (specifically the onion rings).

Next Friday, 2/22, my family and I will be traveling to Clemson to plant a tree on campus in his honor. It would really mean a lot to my family and me (especially my mom) if we could have a small crowd of students/faculty/anyone at the ceremony. The tree planting will take place at 10:30am (2/22) in front of the Flour Daniel engineering building.

If you are on campus, or in the area, please come join my family and I as we honor an incredible father, engineer and Clemson fan.

Thank you!

David
Houston, TX
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best of luck, wish I could make it.

Feb 13, 2019, 3:38 PM

Just be sure to plant the tree quickly before somebody catches you.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Best of luck, wish I could make it.

Feb 13, 2019, 3:40 PM

Ha!

Fully sanctioned by the university! The most expensive tree I will ever buy...

Great News..and What a Proud & Honorable Salute to your fine DaD

Feb 13, 2019, 3:47 PM

Gut eR Done & Have a Safe & Memorable Trip to Honor Your Clemson Dad!

Go TiGERs & Gig’em!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A friendly Texas A&M Aggie would like to ask a small favor..

Feb 13, 2019, 3:51 PM

I was in school with your dad and also grew up in Spartanburg County. But I can’t forgive you for mentioning those fantastic onion rings! The Beacon is still there although not the same place Be sure and go by when you are back. The same guy still takes orders at the front counter who was there when I was a kid. He’s at least 133 years old!

Feb 13, 2019, 4:05 PM

We are definitely making a trip to the Beacon! I know it's not the same, but it wouldn't be a trip to SC without going there. Will also be going to the basketball game against Wake Forest on Saturday. Anything else we should do?

Feb 14, 2019, 7:14 AM

since this is approved by clemson--contact someone to take you thru the football facility--and meet dabo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: A friendly Texas A&M Aggie would like to ask a small favor.. ]

Hate to tell you but J.C., guy yelling " chilly cheese a-plenta " he died several years ago.

Feb 14, 2019, 2:02 AM

They did name a street after J.C. Stroble and they had already named a stretch of Reidville Rd. After founder and very long time owner John B. White.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 3:56 PM

That's a very sweet thing for your family to do. I know your father would be so pleased.

Feb 13, 2019, 4:10 PM

Nice story. My dad grew up in Spartanburg and graduated Clemson in '63. I grew up in Spartanburg and graduated Clemson in '89 and '92. I moved all the way to North Carolina and I miss the Beacon.

I hope you all have a meaningful time in Clemson.

Feb 13, 2019, 4:31 PM

A great way for your family to honor your father, and I wish I lived in the area and could be there. I graduated in 1967 also and likely knew your father.

Feb 13, 2019, 4:36 PM

He would be proud of you. Be sure and come back for another football game. Things have changed for the better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2019, 11:14 AM

Yep it has, not so much to curse about these days unless it's over a bad call, or the coach on the other side of the field just being an A$$, and y'alls HC is a huge A$$!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you come back in September x leave your punter at home***

Feb 13, 2019, 4:35 PM

Best Is The Standard

Feb 13, 2019, 4:51 PM

David:

What a wonderful way to honor your dad. I graduated a year later and may have known him since we were there for 3 years together. Have a great visit and hopefully you will get some folks at the planting ceremony. Regardless, I know how meaningful it will be for your family if there is no one there but them. I have yet to meet a Texas Aggie that I did not like, so please feel welcome during your visit!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 5:05 PM

Clemson fans are pretty amazing as well. I've attended several games at Clemson, and was at A&M every time Clemson has visited. A lot of similarities between our 2 schools.

Feb 13, 2019, 5:50 PM

A & M roots run deep. Our school histories are entertwined in many ways. Pun intended with the roots comment.

What a great way to honor ....

Feb 13, 2019, 5:14 PM

..... your Dad! What branch of engineering did he graduate in? I graduated in 1966 and likely knew him also .....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: What a great way to honor ....

Feb 13, 2019, 5:17 PM

Mechanical!

I don't mind sharing his name since anyone who shows up to the ceremony will see it there.

His name was Paul Feinstein.

Go find his name on the sidewalk

Feb 13, 2019, 5:23 PM

Unless they quit doing that by '67.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go find his name on the sidewalk

Feb 13, 2019, 5:30 PM

Know they did that in ‘66 ... not sure about ‘67....

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Feb 13, 2019, 5:28 PM

That is an awesome story! I know your dad will be proud!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 5:50 PM

David, I’ve put this on my calendar. Also, we don’t play Wake on the 23rd. We play BC. We also have a home baseball series with VMI. Saturday’s game is at 3:00 so you have a busy day.

Feb 13, 2019, 6:36 PM

Really hope you can make it! Please stop by an introduce yourself if you can. Also, please feel free to share this with any students/faculty/etc. that you know. I'll be making a similar post on Reddit the day before because I know a lot of students are on that.

I know I was wrong about Wake... couldn't edit my post after it was done. Great weekend for sports though with both home baseball and basketball. We are really going to try to make the most of our few days there.

David, make sure you post something Thursday night or

Feb 13, 2019, 6:04 PM

early Friday to remind us. I'll be there (LORD willin' and the Cricks don't rise.)

Re: David, make sure you post something Thursday night or

Feb 13, 2019, 6:05 PM

Will do!

Wish I could TU this more....

Feb 13, 2019, 6:35 PM

Not only for the post itself, but a non Clemson man coming in here, had figured out his avatar pic nicely, and best of all... POSTED IN THE CORRECT BORED (which says a lot with how many CBB posts clutter the football board).

Good job, sir!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wish I could TU this more....

Feb 14, 2019, 9:53 AM

Clearly I'm not as smart as you give me credit for because "TU this more" confused the heck out of me. At A&M we call the University of Texas t.u.

It took me a little while to figure out that you meant Thumbs Up, and not t.u.

Feb 14, 2019, 11:22 AM

TU equals ??!!!

Feb 14, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Wish I could TU this more.... ]

??????????????????????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2019, 1:36 PM

Ahhh, you done well lol, ??

Feb 13, 2019, 7:05 PM

Gig em

Feb 13, 2019, 7:19 PM

I will be there. I was running a medical clinic in Austin in the early 70s as part of my military service (we were still in V. Nam)! 1906 Chicon Blvd--> Rosewood Medical Clinic. My neighbor was an A&M grad--Tom Codrington

T Clark, MD (864-506-2691); tclark@nctv.com would love to catch up with you on the 22nd. L:unch maybe, afterwards? Or whatever. TC

BTW, I live in Clemson, less than a mile from the campus.

Message was edited by: MiuraTiger®

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 8:07 PM

Sent to my son, he is forwarding to his fraternity brothers,hopefully we can get a nice crowd for you.

Feb 14, 2019, 9:36 AM

Amazing... thank you!

Feb 14, 2019, 1:07 AM

Good Bull. I think that is a cool Aggie expression that I hope works here. Class of '72 here but 5 hours away. If closer would surely take part and thank you so much for the invitation....

Feb 14, 2019, 9:38 AM

Definitely appropriate in this case. I appreciate it. The support I see here is just one of the many reasons my Dad loved Clemson so much.

Feb 14, 2019, 2:13 AM

I'm a Clemson graduate that grew up in Spartanburg and now lives in Texas. I really wish I could be there to honor your father. Unfortunately, I can't make it but I honor him and you. I'll let my dad know about it (he still lives in Spartanburg) in case he is able to make the trip. I hope you have an amazing experience.

Feb 14, 2019, 9:39 AM

Thank you! Where in Texas? I live in Houston.

Feb 14, 2019, 11:27 AM

Y'all just take good care of our DW4 with the Texans!!!!

Feb 14, 2019, 12:29 PM

Trust me... this city wants him healthy!

Feb 14, 2019, 11:25 AM

Wish I could be there.

Save travels to you and your family. What a great way to honor your dad.

My family and I went to the A&M game this year and had a blast. I tell everyone who will listen that A&M has the best fans in all of college football.

Feb 14, 2019, 12:29 PM

I was there! So glad you had a good experience. That was such a great game.

I am Class of '66...

Feb 14, 2019, 1:36 PM

...What is your father's name? I may have known him.

Re: I am Class of '66...

Feb 14, 2019, 3:53 PM

look above

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic