Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A different angle on our QB situation.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

A different angle on our QB situation.

Sep 18, 2018, 11:10 AM

Why not mix it up a little depending on the situation instead of simply saying, "KB, 1st 2 series are yours and 2nd 2 are yours, TL."

Let's say we get into a 3rd and 8 situation on the 50 yd line where it's pretty obvious passing down, heck even a 2nd and 12 type situation if we get off schedule, bring in TL. If nothing else, it will at least get the defense thinking. You could then run the little draw play to Etienne if you wanted to.

Similar deal if maybe TL hits a big pass play and we get down to the 15 yd line. KB has been really good inside the redzone. Run him in to finish the drive.

I just think we could be a little more creative in our QB rotation headed in to conference play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pass

Sep 18, 2018, 11:17 AM

Give Kelly the chance to convert the 3rd and long if it’s his series to be in there.

I don’t like switching it up mid series because it ruins momentum and think only having 1 series is too choppy to get them settled into the game.

I dont disagree that they could switch up the order so it’s harder for opposing coaches to prepare for but at this point it’s working so don’t mess with it.

How exactly is it working?

Sep 18, 2018, 1:12 PM

It's been great in that Kelly still gets to be the starter, and Trevor has gotten valuable experience, but I would argue that it isn't working like our offense should.

Through three games, we are:

32nd in rushing yards per game (226 yards)
38th in passing yards per game (287 yards)
42nd in points scored per game (38 points)

That is disappointing, given our offensive talent and level of competition we've played. I know we have played a lot of players, but we should at least be in the 20s if not top 20 in rushing or passing, if not both!

How would our defensive coaches and fans feel if we were only the ~40th best defense statistically thus far?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We’re currently 9th S&P+

Sep 18, 2018, 1:43 PM

Offensively so it has been pretty efficient.

I have more problems with the playcalling than I do the 2 QB system.

We’re currently 14th in Yards Per Play at 7.3 so we’ve been moving the ball better than last year.

Just comparing total yards/game isn’t a good measure of how efficient your offense is when you have teams like Syracuse that run a play every 10 seconds.

Thanks, this is helpful and reassuring!***

Sep 18, 2018, 2:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

^Was about to post the same thing.

Sep 18, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to How exactly is it working? ]

9th in S&P+ means we are doing something right. Our 2018 advanced stat profile on Footballstudyhall.com isn't up yet, but i suspect we are much more explosive this year than last year when we finished 119th out of 130 FBS teams in that category. Yes 119th out of 130.. you read that correctly.

FWIW our offense was 45th in S&P+ last year so if we can actually maintain a top 10 offense this year that would be a huge improvement.

Offensive S&P+ is opponent adjusted too so it takes into consideration the quality of the defense that you are up playing and i believe it also adjusts for tempo. That's why these advanced stats are light years ahead of total offense and total defense. Total offense and defense take absolutely nothing else into account. Play a bunch of terrible opponents and your numbers are vastly inflated. Play in the Big XII where teams routinely run 90 plays per game your offensive numbers get vastly inflated and your defensive numbers get deflated.

Thank you, I was not familiar with S&P+

Sep 18, 2018, 2:37 PM

Good to hear that we are much improved this year.

Re: How exactly is it working?

Sep 18, 2018, 3:52 PM [ in reply to How exactly is it working? ]

It's been great in that Kelly still gets to be the starter, and Trevor has gotten valuable experience, but I would argue that it isn't working like our offense should.

Through three games, we are:

32nd in rushing yards per game (226 yards)
38th in passing yards per game (287 yards)
42nd in points scored per game (38 points)

That is disappointing, given our offensive talent and level of competition we've played. I know we have played a lot of players, but we should at least be in the 20s if not top 20 in rushing or passing, if not both!

How would our defensive coaches and fans feel if we were only the ~40th best defense statistically thus far?

Er...ummm...the Tigers are 3-0? And geez but I hope the coaches have thought of this...

Re: A different angle on our QB situation.

Sep 18, 2018, 11:20 AM

I'm just waiting for the coaches to put both of them on the field at the same time. TL at QB and KB at WR. He will have the DB's thinking a double pass all day long and KB will blow past them for a long TD. The DB's will never expect him to take off on a real route and KB is fast enough if the DB's get a little slack he'll be gone. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2018, 12:04 PM

You can’t put KB at WR or RB and risk him getting injured. Also he’s not an upgrade at either position with the exception of the trick play double pass HB pass etc

Sep 18, 2018, 1:04 PM

Isn't that a bit contradictory? Don't put him there because it risks injuries, but it's fine if he's the second leading rusher of the team at the QB spot, no injury risk there, I presume?

If you're concerned about our QB getting hurt

Sep 18, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: A different angle on our QB situation. ]

then you should have serious concerns about our QB running the ball so much.

History shows that injury is inevitable with that approach (see Stoudt, Watson, and Bryant).

Re: If you're concerned about our QB getting hurt

Sep 18, 2018, 1:49 PM

Technically Boyd too:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1851555-tajh-boyds-injury-scare-vs-georgia-tech-gives-glimpse-at-tigers-future-at-qb

Had that scare vs GT... But if remember right, think he had a knee injury back in HS as well.

Sep 18, 2018, 11:20 AM

Most of the success of a QB hinges on finding his rhythm........rotating every couple drives or every few plays doesn't do the offense many favors.

JMO pick a QB and roll with him until the game is out of hand, put the backup in and STILL RUN THE OFFENSE!!...........don't bring the backup in to hand the ball off. That's not Dabo's current MO so as long as he keeps winning and it doesn't lose us a game I'm fine with it, but we played with fire at TAMU and almost got burned.........I don't prefer that we continue playing with fire.

Sep 18, 2018, 11:23 AM

Truth...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the rhythm thing is overrated. I mean against A&M

Sep 18, 2018, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: A different angle on our QB situation. ]

we bring in TL after KB led a TD drive and one play later... BOOM, TD. He was ice cold coming off of the bench, but it didn't matter.

Then later in the game, KB comes in mid 3rd quarter after sitting out for what, 45 minutes to an hour when you factor in halftime. Then he leads us straight down the field.

After those 2 drives in 3rd quarter, KB should've been in rhythm, but then did absolutely nothing in 4th quarter.

I just think maybe that's overblown.

We can call it rhythm, timing, rapport or whatever

Sep 18, 2018, 12:50 PM

The simple fact is that if a 2 QB system actually worked teams would be using it, and it has been proven time and again that a 2 QB system does not work nor is it used regularly at any level of football. Two different QBs are going to have nuisances in everything they do. Especially our two QBs since their styles are totally different (i.e. one is more of a runner and the other a pure passer).

So rhythm is a big thing, and I think it something that's not going to be in our favor until Dabo picks a QB and goes with him. In most of the games we play this probably won't matter, but against elite competition it will.

I think historically most two QB systems involved two

Sep 18, 2018, 2:33 PM

crappy QBs and the coaches just played both in hopes that one would eventually suck less than the other. Either that or one of them can't throw at all and the other can't run at all. We have two QBs that have both been playing well. I think Lawrence has been a little better, but Bryant has good numbers so far this year too. Also, while Bryant is definitely the better runner and Lawrence is definitely the better passer, both are pretty decent at the other thing as well. This isn't your prototypical two QB system.

I'm not going to advocate doing it the entire season, but i think it's fine right now to see what we have.

again, it's difficult for a QB to find his rhythm when being

Sep 18, 2018, 3:18 PM [ in reply to I think the rhythm thing is overrated. I mean against A&M ]

rotated in & out fairly frequently, in the event that the QB is NOT affected by this it doesn't mean that others are not (ie WRs, Oline, RBs, play callers, etc...).

Unless you have a few set of plays/situations that you're rotating the QBs in (example 06 UF-Tebow for leake in short yardage situations) I don't see the benefit of rotating the QBs.

bottom line is our offense hasn't "clicked" yet for a full game and it seems likely it's due to some combination of QB rotation, Oline play, position rotation, & play calling

I agree, the reason our offense struggles to get going

Sep 18, 2018, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: A different angle on our QB situation. ]

early in games so far is this qb carousel. With that said, I think Dabo is using this early on to reveal the eventual starter by trial by fire. I think by game 6/7 you'll have a starter and it will be evident or necessary (injury.)AT this point you can't really say one or the other is head and shoulders above the other...but by mid season you will. Its what my crystal ball is telling me anyway...

Getting ready for the playoffs without losing along the

Sep 18, 2018, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: A different angle on our QB situation. ]

way seems to be the plan with our QB rotation. I like it.

We need to be a better offense by the end of the year to beat the best teams in the country. We don't have the great offensive line like some of our competition. We need to utilize OUR advantage which is our superior receivers to spread the field(and overall roster depth) so that we can become the most efficient offense we can be with our existing personnel. The best way to ensure we get there is to allow both QBs the opportunity to develop.

Alabama is much better offensively under Tua. They already had a great defense, great offensive line and running backs. In order to beat them, we will have to have a high scoring offense to go with a great defense. By the end of the year, we should be much more efficient offensively and running at a much higher tempo(to take advantage of our superior depth) with two QBs capable of winning.

Had we gone with Lawrence, not sure we would have won at A & M, and had we gone with KB, not sure we can win the playoffs/championship or be prepared offensively should he go down with injury.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^THIS!***

Sep 18, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: A different angle on our QB situation. ]

Come on, GET RHYTHM, when you get the blues. -Johnny Cash***

Sep 18, 2018, 11:24 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2018, 11:29 AM

Darn!! I thought it was going to be an angle from the ground up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a fan.....

Sep 18, 2018, 11:45 AM

If we are going to continue to play 2, and I am ok with that for now until one separates, then I like each QB getting 2 or 3 series in a row. This allows them to get into a rhythm, which is important despite what some others think. Many former QBs have mentioned this on numerous occasions. It is possible we have two very rare QBs that are not bothered by it, but that is unlikely. Their play (both of them) would likely improve if each played 90% of the game. Heck, just getting more reps is always a help to improve.

However, I think an angle that is being overlooked is the vantage that the QB not playing is getting from sidelines. They are staying engaged, hearing the play call, seeing how the defense is aligning and playing them, without the frenetic pace of the game and play. I would be willing to bet that while they are on the sidelines, they are able to pick up some beneficial intel for use on their next series.

Sep 18, 2018, 11:56 AM

Wow, so many different angles from so many "armchair head coaches".The Athletic Dept. needs to pay Dabo what Nick is making so he can share it among all of you.

I'd be ok with that

Sep 18, 2018, 11:58 AM

;)

Sep 18, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: A different angle on our QB situation. ]

I was thinking the same thing. Opinions are like aholes- everybody's got one. Sometimes more than one (gruesome thought). Dabo and company have a plan. So far, so good. Intrigued to see how far this goes.

That makes it even more obvious what we are doing.

Sep 18, 2018, 1:07 PM

I don't like it. Plus, it would seemingly make it more confusing for the other offensive players, while also preventing us from running up tempo as much.

Re: That makes it even more obvious what we are doing.

Sep 18, 2018, 1:17 PM

But also more confusing for opposing defenses. I don't think the tempo is seriously affected. Last Saturday it was the usual screwups (interceptions, fumble, penalties, missed field goals) that hurt more than anything else.

Sep 18, 2018, 2:35 PM

I still like Kelly in the game when in the red zone, but prefer TL when the field is long. Defending TL on a long field is scary IMO. And Kelly adds a great option to run the ball in when inside the RZ. Of course that means that TL would play most of the snaps. I even like Chase Brice to alternate with TL on the long field plays. He can sling it IMO.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic