Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Slow Saturday Space Filler
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

A Slow Saturday Space Filler

Aug 10, 2019, 4:20 PM

There are wine snobs and there are wine snobs and there are the snobbiest of wine snobs. Who could that be? Well, if I had a vote in the matter I would vote for the guy who said that when removing the cork from a bottle of wine, remove the cork very, very slowly or the heat generated by the removal may affect the flavor of the wine. Unfortunately, we did not cover this topic in my thermodynamics class so I don't have a documented source to confirm or deny his statement. Quite often I have to rely on my limited supply of common sense and just as often my supply of common sense is questioned. Nevertheless, I just can't imagine a significant number of BTUs generated by the RCR (Rapid Cork Removal) method that would affect the flavor of the wine.

In my younger days I made a little wine, sometimes as much as 90 gallons in a year. I used champagne bottles, plastic closures and wire over the closure. The reason for using this method was the fact I added a sugar/wine mixture to the bottle before closure. Natural sugars from the grapes and sugar I added initially was not sufficient for complete fermentation, about 10% - 11% alcohol. The sugar/wine mixture resulted in additional fermentation in the bottle and since the gasses could not escape there was considerable pressure in the bottle. Sometimes when I removed the wire over the plastic closure, I could not hold the closure because of the gas pressure. I had indentations in my basement ceiling where the closure hit. But, never did I feel any change in the temperature of the bottle when the closure blew off at a high rate of speed. I admit I made some bad wine along with some good wine but don't think the bad wine was the result of RCR (Rapid Closure Removal).

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My preference in wine is “LARGE”

Aug 10, 2019, 6:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My preference in wine is “LARGE”

Aug 10, 2019, 7:37 PM

You don't have that to worry about with screw on caps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Slow Saturday Space Filler

Aug 10, 2019, 7:54 PM

Mr Joe21
I have enjoyed all of your posts
But that may be the best yet
??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2019, 7:56 PM

Cork screws to remove the cork slowly or fast are over rated. I like to use the PCI (Push Cork In) method. The two benefits are any heat generated by the cork is quickly extinguished by the wine and you have to drink the whole bottle.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2019, 8:28 PM

Id there's anything I don't know anything about it's anything to do with cork removal .

Have a great weekend Mr. Joe21 !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 10, 2019, 8:48 PM

If you have a confined gas under pressure and it is released, does not the STP laws say that the temperature should fall considering the amount of gas is lessening, thus the temperature either remains the same as the pressure decreases or the temperature goes down with the pressure. I think I will ask my daughter who has a chemical engineering degree from Clemson and an EE degree from El Cid. She will probably tell me I should have cooled the wine before opening.

Aug 10, 2019, 10:18 PM

Ahh, I believe that's called an "adiabatic process" (or so I was taught in my physics class), where energy is transferred only as work, and pressure may change immediately with no variation in, or transfer of heat. The only pressure, or change in heat, I've ever experienced in popping a cork was in the smile on her face! For the record, I enjoy and appreciate wine on many levels, but I m NOT a wine snob - heck, I've even had some Pinot Grigio that I thought was pretty good!

Go Tigers and all wine lovers!!!

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic